Windows 10: How do I disconnect a work or school account?

Discus and support How do I disconnect a work or school account? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a Surface pro 5 with my own microsoft account as the administrator account. However, there is also a work or school account connected to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by InfiniteVortex, Oct 6, 2019.

1. How do I disconnect a work or school account?

I have a Surface pro 5 with my own microsoft account as the administrator account. However, there is also a work or school account connected to my laptop. Whenever I try to disconnect the account, a box pops up saying "This work or school account cannot be removed by system policy." When I click yes, nothing happens. Is it possible to remove this account?

:)

InfiniteVortex, Oct 6, 2019

2. Can't remove a Work or School account from Windows 10

I found I could not delete the work or school account, because it was likely controlled by a domain controller, which I could no longer log onto.

I found the solution below DOES work, as described by the user Pvandamcom2

Steps:

- In Control Panel, User Accounts, select your account

- Select "instead log on with a local account" and follow the steps

- Then logon, go back to accounts, and go to Access to work and school account

- Click Disconnect for the Work or School Account. The work account dissappeared

- Last step, go back and change logon to be with Microsoft Account instead of
    local account

The work account is no longer displayed

Gary in San Diego, Oct 6, 2019
  3. 2 school accounts

Hello Harry,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

If you are facing issues with syncing data of OneDrive from your School account, then I suggest you to follow the steps to

fix OneDrive sync problems

However, if you want to add your School’s OneDrive account to your Windows 10 computer, then please follow the steps

how do I merge my personal and school Microsoft accounts?

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 6, 2019
  4. How do I disconnect a work or school account?

Can't remove a Work or School account from Windows 10

This scenario occurs when you sign in with a personal Microsoft Account, and then add a Work or School organisational (Office 365) account.

The aim is to remove a Work or School Account from the PC, so that a different Work or School account can be used.

You should be signing in with a Personal Microsoft Account, and the PC should not be on a domain to reproduce this.

Steps to repro

1. Create a login on the PC using your Personal Microsoft Account

2. Open Settings > Accounts > Access work or school

3. Click "Connect"

4. Enter the details for your Work or School Organisational Account (NOT another Personal MSA)

This will then pull down the policy etc. and link the account to Windows. Seems to work fine, but then if you want to remove the account it is impossible. Try this:

1. Open Settings > Accounts > Access work or school

2. Click on the Organisational account you added previously

3. Click on "Disconnect"

4. A prompt will appear asking if you are sure

5. Click Yes

6. A further prompt will appear asking you to disconnect from the organisation

7. Click Disconnect

8. A yellow error message says "This PC isn't joined to a domain"

This does not appear to be the correct behaviour - It should be possible to remove the account here. The message is technically correct...The device is not on a domain, but this should not stop the account being removed.

What I am trying to do, is disconnect one account and add a different one. Adding two Work or School accounts does not seem to work, so removing the old one first is the only option but this is impossible due to the above mentioned error.

Anybody know how to get around this without wiping the whole device?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Network & internet / PC

Danieltharris, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

How do I disconnect a work or school account?

1. How do I disconnect a work or school account? - Similar Threads - disconnect school account

2. How to disconnect work or school account via Powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disconnect work or school account via Powershell: Hello,I wonder if there is the the equivalent of the Disconnect button see picture with a powershell or other script ?I saw that people are telling to delete the content of "C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin*". In fact after executing it I don't see...
  3. How to disconnect work or school account via Powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disconnect work or school account via Powershell: Hello,I wonder if there is the the equivalent of the Disconnect button see picture with a powershell or other script ?I saw that people are telling to delete the content of "C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin*". In fact after executing it I don't see...
  4. How to disconnect work or school account via Powershell

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Trying to disconnect a work or school account in "Access Work or School" but it doesn't get...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to disconnect a work or school account in "Access Work or School" but it doesn't get...: I was trying to disconnect a work or school account from "Access work or school", but after I press "dicsonnect" button and seying "yes" to the pop-up warning message "Are you sure you wont to remove this account? ... it seems that system doing something and when it finishes...
  6. Trying to disconnect a work or school account in "Access Work or School" but it doesn't get...

Trying to disconnect a work or school account in "Access Work or School" but it doesn't get...: I was trying to disconnect a work or school account from "Access work or school", but after I press "dicsonnect" button and seying "yes" to the pop-up warning message "Are you sure you wont to remove this account? ... it seems that system doing something and when it finishes...
  7. Sync not working even with disconnecting school account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sync not working even with disconnecting school account: So I have a blue Dell Inspiron M5110 from 2011, and I wanted to sync settings and stuff when I get a new computer someday, but then it will say this: Sync is not available for your account. Contact your system administrator to resolve this. I've even removed my school account...
  8. Sync not working even with disconnecting school account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sync not working even with disconnecting school account: So I have a blue Dell Inspiron M5110 from 2011, and I wanted to sync settings and stuff when I get a new computer someday, but then it will say this: Sync is not available for your account. Contact your system administrator to resolve this. I've even removed my school account...
  9. Sync not working even with disconnecting school account

10. Work or school account cannot be disconnected

Work or school account cannot be disconnected: Hi, I am trying to disconnect my work/school account but when I go to "Access work or school", select my account and click on Disconnect it is asking me if I am sure and when I confirm account is removed and immediately created again. Is there any way to remove...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 disconnect school account