Windows 10: How do I download DirectX and launch Steam games?

Discus and support How do I download DirectX and launch Steam games? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I ask about DirectX because when I clicked to play Don't Starve for the first time (I used Linux, but I returned to Windows 10 a few months ago), it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Real-Gamer-29, Apr 13, 2021.

1. How do I download DirectX and launch Steam games?

I ask about DirectX because when I clicked to play Don't Starve for the first time (I used Linux, but I returned to Windows 10 a few months ago), it asked me to install DirectX. I clicked no, thinking I could just do that later, and now, the game doesn't launch. I

Is this error occuring because I didn't download DirectX?

submitted by /u/Real-Gamer-29
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Real-Gamer-29, Apr 13, 2021

2. Cant launch any steam games that require directx to be downloaded

I just got a new laptop that is an hp with a AMD ryzen 3 2200U processor and integrated AMD Radeon Vega 3 graphics

when i check the dxdiag info it says I have directx 12 installed but when I finished downloading Counter strike global offensive and tried to launch it says that it is starting up for the first time and installing Microsoft DirectX and after that it just
    closes and says im ingame and then after 5 seconds it says im not in game on steam, I tried to install directx 9 my self but it wont work and just says to check DXError.log and DirectX.log and when i check the logs it just says a bunch of random stuff i do
    not understand, i have tried many things and none of them seem to work could somebody please help me launch my steam games

hayden_088, Apr 13, 2021
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Cant launch any steam games that require directx to be downloaded

Interesting. This is the second thread in two days regarding Steam having DirectX problems with new machines,

and getting errors when the game tries to install DirectX

(which is already fully installed in Win10. Or should be, but games don't bother asking permission to install DX any more.

They just go ahead and install DX automatically, which can corrupt some DX files at times).

Your post seems to verify there is an issue with Steam, but the other person tried reinstalling the Steam client and that didn't help.

Still don't know what the real issue is. Have a read of that thread.
    --- HERE ---

Don't post on his thread though. Come back here with your comments and updates on your problem.

"i have tried many things and none of them seem to work "

- Always list everything you have tried in your post. It can help you having to read the same suggestions, and save us from having to type them.

BossDweeb, Apr 13, 2021
  4. BossDweeb Win User

How do I download DirectX and launch Steam games?

Cant launch any steam games that require directx to be downloaded

Yes, those are some of the DX files I was speaking. Double click on one to open the Windows\System32 folder and scroll down

till you find all of the d3dx .dll files.

Your Windows should have... d3dx9 - 24 > 43 . d3dx10 - 33 > 43 & d3dx11 - 42 > 43. These are the main files used for game graphics,

but there are other DX files as well.

You might want to R/click when inside the folder first and select Sort By > Type to make sure all the .dll files come together.

- If your Windows has all of these files and the game still won't launch with the installer folder deleted the files used by the game

may be corrupt. In this case reinstalling DX should help, assuming there is no problem with Steam.

Whatever the case if DX installs successfully you will know there are no corrupt files.

"I also deleted the directx installer folder in csgo main folder and it didnt do anything on steam"

That could actually be a good thing. I've had Steam replace this folder in other games a few years back and call it an update.

It's not necessary for the game to have this folder if DX is installed.

Hopefully you will be more successful running the DirectX Redist (June 2010) with this installer gone ?

If not you may have to do the copy/past procedure I mentioned before.

Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - DirectX Redist (June 2010)

BossDweeb, Apr 13, 2021
Thema:

How do I download DirectX and launch Steam games?

1. How do I download DirectX and launch Steam games? - Similar Threads - download DirectX launch

2. How do I install DirectX for Steam game I downloaded? I have Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I install DirectX for Steam game I downloaded? I have Windows 11.: I recently downloaded a Steam game but it won't play because I don't have DirectX installer. How do I downloaded DirectX for Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-directx-for-steam-game-i/d25dc3e2-9899-4511-bdbc-f0f5d1abcbf2
  3. How do I install DirectX for Steam game I downloaded? I have Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I install DirectX for Steam game I downloaded? I have Windows 11.: I recently downloaded a Steam game but it won't play because I don't have DirectX installer. How do I downloaded DirectX for Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-directx-for-steam-game-i/d25dc3e2-9899-4511-bdbc-f0f5d1abcbf2
  4. DirectX 9 games no longer launching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DirectX 9 games no longer launching: As of the latest windows update in August 2021, most if not all DirectX 9 games such as source engine games e.g. portal, Garry's Mod, and portal 2 and A hat in time do not launch anymore. In terms of specs, my computer has an Intel i7 6700, 16GB of memory, and an NVIDIA GTX...
  5. DirectX "DXerror.log and directx.log" error / some steam games not launching

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DirectX "DXerror.log and directx.log" error / some steam games not launching: So i've been having some problems with Steam Games not launching, and after a lot of troubleshooting attempts I tried installing DirectX again, but once i used the "DXSETUP" one, it gives the "DXerror.log and directx.log" error. Opening the DXerror.log I have: [03/24/20...
  6. How do I download the directx 9c runtime?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I download the directx 9c runtime?: When I visit this website and click the download button, it brings up a dialog box that attempts to nudge me into installing MSN as the default homepage and bing as the search engine. I cannot download directx 9c. When I click "No thanks and continue" nothing happens....
  7. Some steam games will not launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some steam games will not launch: When I launch some games, they do not open with video; the audio plays but the video is just flashing static that looks like my screen is going to crash. This doesn't happen with every game, just some of them. I don't think it's to do with graphics settings because it can run...
  8. Cant launch any steam games that require directx to be downloaded

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant launch any steam games that require directx to be downloaded: I just got a new laptop that is an hp with a AMD ryzen 3 2200U processor and integrated AMD Radeon Vega 3 graphics when i check the dxdiag info it says I have directx 12 installed but when I finished downloading Counter strike global offensive and tried to launch it says...
  9. DirectX Issues (Steam)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DirectX Issues (Steam): I'm running an Early 2015 MacBook Air with Intel HD Graphics 6000 and an Intel i5 processor with 8GB of RAM with Windows 10 64-bit through a Boot Camped external drive. Overwatch, RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, and Portal 2 all run perfectly fine - heck, Portal runs better than it...
  10. Steam games not launching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam games not launching: I decided to come back to civ 5, and when I press play, all that happens is a small box saying "checking for updates" comes up for a brief moment, followed by another box saying "Searching for steam game updates" again for a brief moment. Nothing happens after. This also...