Windows 10: How do I easily get these SSD partitions I want with least SSD wear

Discus and support How do I easily get these SSD partitions I want with least SSD wear in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; For new laptop with only Windows 10 Pro 64 v1803 & some utilities installed: I HAVE: a 1 TB SSD (NVMe M.2). Win 10 "Disk Management" says SSD has: 952... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FuturePerfect, Nov 25, 2018.

1. How do I easily get these SSD partitions I want with least SSD wear

For new laptop with only Windows 10 Pro 64 v1803 & some utilities installed:

I HAVE: a 1 TB SSD (NVMe M.2). Win 10 "Disk Management" says SSD has:
    952 GB total Capacity [gigantic] in my C: Windows partition
    52 GB used Capacity [small] in my C: Windows partition

I WANT: the 1 TB SSD (NVMe M.2) existing C: Windows partition to change to:
    266 GB total Capacity [optimum] for my C: Windows partition (52 GB used)
    686 GB total Capacity [optimum] for a D: Data partition

PROBLEM IS: Win 10 "Disk Management" only allows a Minimum of
    505 GB total Capacity [overlarge] for my C: Windows partition (52 GB used)
    according to size info it gives me when I right-click & select Shrink.

Above is my situation now. Can you answer 3) brief questions below?:

1) Am I correct the answer to getting the partitions I want is to use better defragmenting and partitioning tool(s) than Disk Management? OR, is there some other approach I must take (and if so, what?)?

IF such better tool(s) are the answer, NOTE 1a) through 1c) below:

1a) I'd like the easiest documented way to get the above partitions I want, since I'm UNknowledgeable on defragmenting and partitioning.

1b) I'm hoping for easy defrag/partitioning tool(s) for a SSD with priority on defragmentatiion to a set size so reduce wear on the SSD (i.e. defragment SSD only enough so existing 52 GB fits in set size of 266 GB,
    then easily shrink the C: partition size to 266 GB and set me up a D: partition with size of 686 GB).

1c) I'd prefer free tool(s), but am willing to buy tool(s) for much better ease of use (and defragmentation only to a set size as per above paragraph).

2) Should the tool(s) generate a CD/FlashDrive I boot from, so I can defrag the C: partition (because cannot defrag live Windows OS C:?)?

3) ***What specific defragmenting and partitioning tool(s) do you suggest I use to produce the partitions in the I WANT: paragraph above?

Thanks for any advice and answers you can provide.

:)

FuturePerfect, Nov 25, 2018
  2. a.muliar Win User

Unable to assign drive letter to SSD partition

I have recently installed a new SSD drive into my PC. It has bootable Windows 7 with two "healthy" primary partitions 500MB and 111GB. However it is impossible to assign drive letter to any of these partitions. Right-clicking on each partition gives grayed
    menu options except "Delete Volume". How to assign drive letters to these partitions?

SMART data is OK:

SMART READ DATA

Revision: 10

Attributes List

1: (SSD Raw Read Error Rate) Normalized Rate: 120 Sectors Read: 0 Read Errors: 0

5: (SSD Retired Block Count) Spare blocks remaining 100% Retired Block 0

9: (SSD Power-On Hours) Value 88 Total 10820 hrs 35 mins

12: (SSD Power Cycle Count) Power Cycle Life Remaining 100% Number of power cycles 0

171: (SSD Program Fail Count) Program Error Count 0

172: (SSD Erase Fail Count) Erase Error Count 0

174: (SSD Unexpected power loss count) Unexpected power loss Count 49

177: (Wear Range Delta) Wear Range Delta 19%

181: (Program Fail Count) Program Error Count 0

182: (Erase Fail Count) Erase Error Count 0

187: (SSD Reported Uncorrectable Errors) Normalized Value 100 lifetime URAISE Errors 0

189: (Unrecognized Attribute) Value: 35 Raw Data: 23 00 41 00 11 00 00

194: (SSD Temperature Monitoring) Normalized temp 35 Current 35 High 65 Low 17

195: (SSD ECC On-the-fly Count) Normalized Value 120 Sectors Read 0 UECC Count 0

196: (SSD Reallocation Event Count) Normalized Value 100 Reallocation Event Count 0

201: (SSD Uncorrectable Soft Read Error Rate)Normalized Value 120 Sectors Read 0 Uncorrectable Soft Error Count 0

204: (SSD Soft ECC Correction Rate (RAISE) Normalized Value 120 Sectors Read 0 Soft ECC Correction Count 0

230: (SSD Life Curve Status) Normalized Value 100

231: (SSD Life Left) Life Remaining 97%

233: (SSD Internal Reserved) 16666

234: (SSD Internal Reserved) 12389

241: (SSD Lifetime writes from host) lifetime writes 12389

242: (SSD Lifetime reads from host) lifetime reads 5398

a.muliar, Nov 25, 2018
  3. RejZoR Win User
    Partition an SSD good or bad?

When you make partition, you don't actually limit SSD controller from spreading data beyond seemingly strict boundary.

When you partition HDD, those partitions are actually physically restricted on disk platters. In case of SSD, you see it as a partition, OS sees it as a partition, but SSD controller only sees entire SSD as a single block of cells that it can use and shuffle around to manage wear leveling. It needs to view it this way for efficient garbage collection and TRIMming. Otherwise, SSD would grind same partition over and over and wear it out too quickly compared to other bigger partitions. Same goes for files. On HDD, program could possibly overwrite same physical sectors over and over thousands of times. On SSD, when you overwrite files, they never write to same location. Which is the reason why data recovery from SSD's is incredibly hard. Data is never where it should be based on logic we know from HDD's.

RejZoR, Nov 25, 2018
  4. Jack1n Win User

How do I easily get these SSD partitions I want with least SSD wear

Partition an SSD good or bad?

I didnt realize an SSD does that, good to know.

Jack1n, Nov 25, 2018
Thema:

How do I easily get these SSD partitions I want with least SSD wear

1. How do I easily get these SSD partitions I want with least SSD wear - Similar Threads - easily SSD partitions

2. SSD Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Partition: My Intel NUC 5i5RYH comes with 128GB M.2 SATA.I partitioned into two.Now I wish to combine back into a single partition.Unfortunately, the 2nd partition does not follows the 1st partition. There is another partition in between.The partition in between is called Recovery...
  3. SSD Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Partition: My Intel NUC 5i5RYH comes with 128GB M.2 SATA.I partitioned into two.Now I wish to combine back into a single partition.Unfortunately, the 2nd partition does not follows the 1st partition. There is another partition in between.The partition in between is called Recovery...
  4. SSD Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. easy command to get wear percentage on an SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    easy command to get wear percentage on an SSD: [img] Get-PhysicalDisk | Get-StorageReliabilityCounter | Select Wear I have zero wear as it is new since last 2 weeks. I read that win10 in the future will be warning you if your SSD is about to kick the bucket. 169306
  6. partitions on ssd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    partitions on ssd: i have ssd 120 gb and i want to install windows 10 so i am wondering if ssd can be divided into 2 partitions and if it could be 1 and how many other partitions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partitions-on-ssd/cddf9b3a-ae20-4cb2-9f08-1ea070f65fc1
  7. SSD partitioning

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD partitioning: I just installed a Samsung 860 evo 500gb SSD on my OLD laptop My question is :::: Q. Can I make a separate partition on my SSD to store only files , photos, videos etc.. Q. Do I need paging file (I have 12 gb of ram and only 40% of it is usually used ). Q. How huge...
  8. How do I configure SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I configure SSD: Hello, I have a SSD and 1TB hard drive on my laptop. Windows is installed on SSD, I want max performance on SSD cashing etc. How do I make sure that all is configured correctly on my laptop....
  9. How do I clone Windows partition (not drive) to bootable SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I clone Windows partition (not drive) to bootable SSD?: I have a desktop machine with an HDD that I partitioned into a small bootable partition for Windows and applications, and a much larger partition for data. I did this anticipating that at some point I would want to be able to clone the Windows partition to an SSD which would...
  10. Partitioning an SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partitioning an SSD: Hi, My new Huawei Matebook x pro has come with a 512 GB SSD storage. In my previous laptop (having an HDD), I was using two logical partitions other than the OS Primary partition for storing my personal data for two reasons: 1) In case the OS gets corrupted or requires a...