Windows 10: How do I effectively make sure my data is safe before formatting?

Discus and support How do I effectively make sure my data is safe before formatting? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I recently had some error with my Windows installation. Not sure what it is, but my motherboard isn't recognizing my boot drive (C:\) and my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/azurefiress, Oct 7, 2020.

1. How do I effectively make sure my data is safe before formatting?

Hi,

I recently had some error with my Windows installation. Not sure what it is, but my motherboard isn't recognizing my boot drive (C:\) and my Windows installation. So, I'm going to format said boot drive (C:\) and reinstall Windows. However, how do I back up all my settings, software, and most importantly, files? I have connected this boot drive (C:\) via SATA to an old PC of mine running Windows 7. My question is, how do I effectively back up all my software and files before I format C:\? Could someone please give me a step-by-step, or a link to an explanation? Thank you so much in advance.

submitted by /u/azurefiress
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/azurefiress, Oct 7, 2020
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Oct 7, 2020
  3. Not enough space even though there is space

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We will surely assist you with the issue. Refer the below steps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to change the file system to NTFS while formatting and then try copying the files and check.

Step 2:

• Take the backup of the data, if you have any important data in it?
      • Let’s format the drive and check.
      • Go to this PC.
      • Right click on the external USB device.
      • Select Format.

Note: Formatting will delete all the data in the device, taking a backup of the data is recommended before performing a format.

Keep us posted for further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Oct 7, 2020
  4. How do I effectively make sure my data is safe before formatting?

Lock Screen Fade to Desktop Effect Not Working

Hi,

Before we assist you let us know few details,

• Did you made any changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• Have you created any system restore point on your computer?

As initial troubleshooting steps I suggest you to install the latest windows 10 updates, please follow the steps to install all the windows updates.

If you want to check for the update now, select the Start button, then select
    Settings > Update & security >
    Windows Update > Check for updates.

We suggest you to try changing the visual effect setting. To Change your Visual Effects Settings in Advanced System Settings refer the below steps,

• Press Windows logo key+ X

• Click on Control panel

• Select System and Security

• Click on System

• And select System protection

• Select Advanced tab and click on
      Settings

• Now select the option Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer
      option.

And check if this helps to resolve the issue.

Hope this information helps with best visual effect on your device.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Oct 7, 2020
Thema:

How do I effectively make sure my data is safe before formatting?

1. How do I effectively make sure my data is safe before formatting? - Similar Threads - effectively sure data

2. How do I make sure Numlock is on at startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make sure Numlock is on at startup?: My numlock key is defaulting to off. Is there any way to change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-sure-numlock-is-on-at-startup/5ec14c85-c162-44ed-bb94-3d8adbffe314
  3. How do I make sure Numlock is on at startup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make sure Numlock is on at startup?: My numlock key is defaulting to off. Is there any way to change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-sure-numlock-is-on-at-startup/5ec14c85-c162-44ed-bb94-3d8adbffe314
  4. How will changing my user effect my data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How will changing my user effect my data?: I recently got my mom's old computer, which already has a lot of my data; files, images, screenshots etc on it. I am also already signed into various apps. However, I need to replace the email in the account with my own. If I update the email, will the data be lost?...
  5. How will changing my user effect my data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How will changing my user effect my data?: I recently got my mom's old computer, which already has a lot of my data; files, images, screenshots etc on it. I am also already signed into various apps. However, I need to replace the email in the account with my own. If I update the email, will the data be lost?...
  6. How will changing my user effect my data?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. How do i make sure the camera is enabled in Teams?

How do i make sure the camera is enabled in Teams?: I noticed that Teams is not in the list of apps which are enabled for the camera How do i add Teams to the list of apps? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-sure-the-camera-is-enabled-in-teams/31d7f357-fc0f-461f-93e7-852c769a5c71
  8. How do I make sure my shared network folders are private?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I make sure my shared network folders are private?: Not sure if I worded that correctly, but basically.. I have an older Windows 10 desktop wish a large second HDD that I dump all my media and content on to. I wanted to access it via my laptop so I went to the drive's properties, went to Sharing, selected Advanced Sharing,...
  9. How do I check Certificates in Win10 to make sure they are safe?

How do I check Certificates in Win10 to make sure they are safe?: I know how to get to the Certificate Manager ( certmgr). There are two columns named "Issued To" and "Issued By", There are names of those issued certificates and then names of those that issued them. I somewhat understand the information displayed when you double click on...
  10. Need a new HDD making sure I can upgrade before I do

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need a new HDD making sure I can upgrade before I do: I never upgraded to Windows 10 and my HDD crashed on me. I need to buy a new one and was going to upgrade to 10 cause I don't have my Windows 7 install disk anymore. I do have the the windows key sticker on my computer still. Can I use that if I were to download the Windows...