Windows 10: How do I eject an external hard drive?

Discus and support How do I eject an external hard drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When I go to eject the drive, the eject button is greyed out and I can't click on it. When I go to the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" to try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/aldistan, Sep 17, 2020.

1. How do I eject an external hard drive?

When I go to eject the drive, the eject button is greyed out and I can't click on it. When I go to the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" to try and eject, it says that it cannot because it's still being used in a program. I ended up closing all my programs and windows and it still said it was in use.

I think this might be because I am using a USBC adapter to plug the hard drive in, but idk how to eject that.

Anyone able to help?

submitted by /u/aldistan
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/aldistan, Sep 17, 2020
  2. KRJB Win User

how to eject usb external hard drive

how to eject usb external hard drive that keeps on working

3. Problems ejecting a portable hard drive.

i have a solution for the problem with ejecting external hard drives this has worked for me on my windows 10 computer.

when typing use lower case letters and leave out the brackets ( ).

i have use capital letters in parts so it is easier for all people to understand.

i will do it in steps.

step 1. try and eject the external hard drive. when the message pops up saying (PROBLEM EJECTING USB MASS STORAGE) do not close it.

step 2. in the search bar type (EVENT VIEWER)

step 3. in (Event viewer) on the left side look for (Windows logs) then click (SYSTEM)

step 4. in (SYSTEM) tab go across to (EVENT ID) look for (EVENT ID 225)
    there might be multiple (EVENT ID 225) in that case it will be the top one.

when you click on it. underneath it there will be two options named (GENERAL and DETAILS) select general.

it will tell you what has stopped the external hard drive from ejecting. it will have your device directory and in that it will say something like.

(The application\device\ the name of your external hard drive\program files\ X86\ what ever program is causing to problem).

step 5. when you have found out what program is causing the problem. open
    (TASK MANAGER) by holding the
    (ctrl+alt+delete)

at the same time. then click
    (TASK MANAGER)

step 6. in
    (TASK MANGER) go to the
    (PROCESSES TAB) scroll down until you get to
    (BACK GROUND PROCESSES) when there find the program name that was in
    (EVENT VIEWER) click on it and end task.

step 6. close the
    (PROBLEM EJECTING USB MASS STORAGE)

that popped up and now try ejecting the external hard drive again if the previous message doesnt pop up again you have fix the problem and the hard drive will eject properly.

step 7. if the problem happens the next time you turn on your computer just remember the program that caused the problem and go to (TASK MANAGER) and end the same task as before. if the problem
    happens after then just repeat the step i have laid out and you will be able to find what other program could be the problem.

if when you have tried these steps and you still have a problem chances are it could be a hardware problem with either the external hard drive or the computer its self.

i hope this post will help people out to fix the problem.

please comment if you need further assistance.

thank you.

thomas.

thomasholroyd1, Sep 17, 2020
  4. How do I eject an external hard drive?

Can't eject external hard drive

Every time that I try and eject my Samsung external hard drive, I get a message pop up saying to close any programs using it. I also can't eject using drive tools in File Explorer. I have checked and there is nothing running. I can also eject the hard
    drive in other computers, after using it for basically exactly the same use.

How do I eject an external hard drive? e4f0f3bd-f36c-4788-a670-c46b2354f097.png

EmilyFleet, Sep 17, 2020
Thema:

How do I eject an external hard drive?

1. How do I eject an external hard drive? - Similar Threads - eject external hard

2. How do I add Eject in Context Menu for External Hard Drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I add Eject in Context Menu for External Hard Drives?: As far as I've understood, the Eject option in the Context Menu appears only for small USB Key "Flash Drives". That option does not appear for big Mass Storage Devices. I have a 2TB and a 4TB External Hard Drives I would like to Eject by Right Clicking on the Drive Icon in...
  3. How do I add Eject in Context Menu for External Hard Drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I add Eject in Context Menu for External Hard Drives?: As far as I've understood, the Eject option in the Context Menu appears only for small USB Key "Flash Drives". That option does not appear for big Mass Storage Devices. I have a 2TB and a 4TB External Hard Drives I would like to Eject by Right Clicking on the Drive Icon in...
  4. How do I add Eject in Context Menu for External Hard Drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can not eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can not eject external hard drive: I currently have an external hard drive attached to my computer through a front USB port. When I try to eject it with the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon, it says "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and...
  6. Can't eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't eject external hard drive: When I try to eject my external hard drive I get the message "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." There are no programs using the device in fact, I've restarted the computer 3 times since I got...
  7. Unable to eject external hard drive

Unable to eject external hard drive: My new computer came with a previous version of windows 10 home a couple weeks ago. I had to download the newer version of Windows 10 in order to use the newest versions of Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. Not long after downloading this I started to notice that I was unable...
  8. Can't eject external hard drive!

Can't eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  9. Can not eject external hard drive!

Can not eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  10. how to eject usb external hard drive

how to eject usb external hard drive: how to eject usb external hard drive that keeps on working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-eject-usb-external-hard-drive/379c0bb2-2d84-4414-a1ae-5a6cae18cd8b"