Windows 10: How do I enable TPM and secure boot after installing windows 11

Discus and support How do I enable TPM and secure boot after installing windows 11 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have intel i7-6700K on asus prime z270 motherboard . I have purchased and installed the external ASUS TPM 2.0 module on motherboard . According to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by RAC4433, May 17, 2024.

1. RAC4433 Win User

How do I enable TPM and secure boot after installing windows 11

I have intel i7-6700K on asus prime z270 motherboard . I have purchased and installed the external ASUS TPM 2.0 module on motherboard . According to ASUS the PRIME Z270 motherboard is supported by windows 11 .Intel did not integrate TPM in the cpu until gen 8 . In my case I'm relying on the motherboard mounted TPM module to perform the task if I understand all this correctly ?The only requirement my system fails for windows 11 is the cpu is not on the list of supported cpu's ......thats it !I've read the articles that talk about bypassing windows 11 supported hardware checks .Problem is it byp

:)

RAC4433, May 17, 2024

2. PC Windows 11 Upgrade - Secure Boot and TPM 2.0

Thank you for the reply and info @dashdotdot How do I enable TPM and secure boot after installing windows 11 :)

I have a few follow up questions if that's ok!

I have gone into BIOS settings before to enable TPM 2.0 and enable secure boot but as you said the PC did not boot up and I had to short one of the components of the PC to reset to default settings before,

What would the step by step process be to update to windows 11?

I was told before to enable TPM in BIOS then use a USB with Windows 11 on it to install it. Is there a simpler way?

Sophie Xena, May 17, 2024
  3. felipe-ca Win User
    Inaccessible Boot Device - Likely due to TPM and Secure Keys

When I boot my custom build desktop, I'm getting Inaccessible Boot Device. I then get to WinRE and I am able to go to the command prompt and I can see the windows installation on driver D.

I tried running

• Startup Repair - No luck, nothing fixed, issue remains
    • cmd prompt - sfc/SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\windows [enter].
    • cmd prompt - chkdsk d: /r (answered yes to dismount)
    • Restart Options - disable driver signature enforcement
    • Restart Options - disable early launch anti-malware protection
    • Safe mode
    • playing with different settings in BIOS
    How did I get into this messy situation:

• Win 10, tried to upgrade to Win 11. TPM was not enabled in BIOS
    • Enabled fTPM in mobo (ASUS Prime X570-Pro)
    • Win 10 was using legacy MBR. Successfully converted to GPT. Changed mobo to UEFI in compatibility mode (UEFI and Legacy OPROM, storage devices and PCIe devices in UEFI only mode). Boot Device is an NVME SSD (PCIE-4 compatible). Bitlocker was never enabled.
    • No issues so far and I was able to start Win11 installation.
    • After a few auto-reboots, at around 75% the installation failed. Inaccessible Boot Device
    • Win11 installation was successfully reverted and I was able to login to Win10
    • restarted the win11 install. same issue at aroung 75%
    • Upgraded Mobo Firmware (v2407 to v4021).
    • Win 11 installation failed again.
    • Changed bios configs and could not boot anymore
    Unfortunately I don't have the exact sequence of steps but these are the areas I played with

• I never run the TPM module in windows after enabling TPM in the BIOS.
    • I was looking into Bios as some forum post suggested making sure SATA was set to AHCI. But I am using RAID on my SATA spinning HDDs. The system is booting from NVMe SSD
    • I noticed that Bios -> Boot -> Boot/Secure Boot -> OS Type - Was set to "Other OS" and changed it to "Windows UEFI Mode"
    • Unfortunately I don't remember if I changed any other settings at this point.
    Other things I have tried

• Bios - Saved secured keys to USB drive and deleted existing keys (only after changing the OS type and the issue already present)
    • Bios - installed default secure boot keys
    • Bios - Restored saved secure boot keys
    • Disabled fTPM (by setting it to discrete TPM - there are no external TPM module in my setup)
    • Bios -> Advanced -> Trusted Computing -> Security Device Support - Disable
    • Bios -> Advanced -> Trusted Computing -> Disable Block Sid -> Enable (only for next boot)
    • A few combinations of the configs above, though likely not exhaustive of all combinations
    I also tried to boot from the Win 10 Installation DVD and try to repair the win10 installation, but no success. Though it is possible I could have had a a bad choice of bios settings when trying this.

Any ideas on what I can do next? What would be the best procedure to try to recover the system?

• fTPM enabled
    • Should I clear the Secure Boot Keys? Leave them empty or install default ones?
    • Security Device Support - Leave it enabled? there are some options such as platform hierarchy and storage hierarchy (both enabled)
    • TPM 2.0 UEFI Spec version is TCG_2 / Physical Presence Spec Version is 1.3
    • Try to repair windows with the settings above?
    • Try to re-install Win10 preserving personal files?
    Thanks,

Felipe.

felipe-ca, May 17, 2024
  4. How do I enable TPM and secure boot after installing windows 11

Windows 11 Secure Boot and TPM 2.0

Here's what I find to enable TPM and Secure Boot on your model motherboard:

https://help.maingear.com/article/81-how-to-ena...

https://howtoenable.net/how-to-enable-secure-bo...

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/p0...

Report back results for each step so I know what else to suggest.

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-2020 (retired), May 17, 2024
Thema:

How do I enable TPM and secure boot after installing windows 11

1. How do I enable TPM and secure boot after installing windows 11 - Similar Threads - enable TPM secure

2. How can I install Windows 11 on a PC without TPM and secure boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I install Windows 11 on a PC without TPM and secure boot?: Hi, I recently tried to install Windows 11 on a computer without TPM and Secure Boot, but I encountered some problems. I know that Microsoft has high system requirements for Windows 11, including requiring TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot, but I think there must be a way to get around...
  3. How can I install Windows 11 on a PC without TPM and secure boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I install Windows 11 on a PC without TPM and secure boot?: Hi, I recently tried to install Windows 11 on a computer without TPM and Secure Boot, but I encountered some problems. I know that Microsoft has high system requirements for Windows 11, including requiring TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot, but I think there must be a way to get around...
  4. How do I enable TPM and secure boot after installing windows 11

How do I enable TPM and secure boot after installing windows 11: I have intel i7-6700K on asus prime z270 motherboard . I have purchased and installed the external ASUS TPM 2.0 module on motherboard . According to ASUS the PRIME Z270 motherboard is supported by windows 11 .Intel did not integrate TPM in the cpu until gen 8 . In my case I'm...
  5. How do I enable secure boot and TPM 2.0 on a Gigabyte B760 DS3H.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I enable secure boot and TPM 2.0 on a Gigabyte B760 DS3H.: In msinfo32 my BIOS Mode is on UEFI; however, my Secure Boot State is off. I am trying to play Valorant and I need this to be enabled. I don't know really whether or not I have TPM 2.0 or not but these two problems are usually together so maybe someone else might need it....
  6. How do I enable secure boot and TPM 2.0 on a Gigabyte B760 DS3H.

How do I enable secure boot and TPM 2.0 on a Gigabyte B760 DS3H.: In msinfo32 my BIOS Mode is on UEFI; however, my Secure Boot State is off. I am trying to play Valorant and I need this to be enabled. I don't know really whether or not I have TPM 2.0 or not but these two problems are usually together so maybe someone else might need it....
  7. How to enable secure boot after instaling windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable secure boot after instaling windows 11: Hello! I have installed windows 11 on my pc without enabling secure boot!I don't know how that happened at some point a had a full reset of my pc and it might had changed something or i dont know.Now there are some games that require secure boot to run for example...
  8. How to enable secure boot after instaling windows 11

How to enable secure boot after instaling windows 11: Hello! I have installed windows 11 on my pc without enabling secure boot!I don't know how that happened at some point a had a full reset of my pc and it might had changed something or i dont know.Now there are some games that require secure boot to run for example...
  9. Can't enable Secure Boot after Windows 11 installation

Can't enable Secure Boot after Windows 11 installation: I updated to Windows 11 about 2 months ago, everything was fine until i wanted to play a game that required secure boot to be enabled, so i went to the BIOS, went to the Boot tab and enabled Secure Boot, however after i have done that it still shows up as ''Disabled'' when i...
  10. Can't enable Secure Boot after Windows 11 installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't enable Secure Boot after Windows 11 installation: I updated to Windows 11 about 2 months ago, everything was fine until i wanted to play a game that required secure boot to be enabled, so i went to the BIOS, went to the Boot tab and enabled Secure Boot, however after i have done that it still shows up as ''Disabled'' when i...