Windows 10: How do I enter numbers in scientific notation in the calculator?

Discus and support How do I enter numbers in scientific notation in the calculator? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I want to calculate the pH of a solution knowing its [H+} using the formula pH = -log({H+], where [H+] is 6.5x10^-5. is there a simple way to enter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AlastairMcDonald, Nov 8, 2019.

1. How do I enter numbers in scientific notation in the calculator?

I want to calculate the pH of a solution knowing its [H+} using the formula pH = -log({H+], where [H+] is 6.5x10^-5. is there a simple way to enter 6.5e-5, and the rest of this calculation?

:)

AlastairMcDonald, Nov 8, 2019

2. Disable Scientific Notation in Windows 10 Calculator

In previous versions of Windows, the calculator worked fine. In Windows 10 it's completely unusable due to a bug (perhaps you'll call it a "feature") of displaying scientific notation when it shouldn't. It operates the same whether in Scientific Mode or
    Standard Mode. I want the calculator to ALWAYS display results normally (non-scientific notation) unless the number is so small or large that it can't be displayed. But for small numbers (< 1), whenever it goes below a certain threshold it often reverts to
    scientific notation when it shouldn't. For example it displays the following:

1 / 1000 = 0.001

1 / 1001 = 9.99000999000999000999000999001e-4

1 / 2000 = 0.0005

The second case is totally unacceptable. It should display 0.000999000999000999000999000999001

Whatever the case, when deciding to use scientific notation or not, the calculator needs to be consistent, which obviously it isn't. And if it's possible to display a number in non-scientific notation, there must be a way to force that mode.

Furthermore, if I copy the result of the second case, using Control-C, then paste it back in with Control-V, it displays, "Invalid input".

Another annoyance is that on the right side it always shows the history. That feature is fine if I want it, but unfortunately it's always on unless I shrink the calculator's window horizontally until the point where there's no room for it and then it disappears.
    Not the end of the world, but a more common approach taken by professional software development teams would be to have a setting for turning on/off history, as well as other features that you may or may not want.

If the Windows 10 calculator cannot be fixed to operate correctly, then is there a way to install the calculator from Windows 7 or another earlier version of Windows? If not I guess I'll need to search the internet for a company that makes a calculator that
    works the way I expect a calculator to work, and not this insane auto scientific notation when it's not wanted.

SamLee1977, Nov 8, 2019
  3. How to get answers in scientific notation on windows 10 calculator?

The calculator does not by default use scientific notation for numbers larger than 1, even when in scientific mode. See the picture below, which is using the scientific mode but uses the 'simple" notation for this large number.

To force the calculator to switch to scientific notation here, which would be something like 8.991804e+9, press "F-E" (just above the keypad).

How do I enter numbers in scientific notation in the calculator? f715b43d-bb12-40a1-98aa-8f3514ee3cec.png

Paul B 1979, Nov 8, 2019
  4. AustinMar Win User

How do I enter numbers in scientific notation in the calculator?

How to get answers in scientific notation on windows 10 calculator?

How to get answers in scientific notation on windows 10 calculator? I mean the ANSWER it gives, not how to enter it.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

AustinMar, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

How do I enter numbers in scientific notation in the calculator?

1. How do I enter numbers in scientific notation in the calculator? - Similar Threads - enter numbers scientific

2. How do I change the mode on my calculator from scientific mode back to standard mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the mode on my calculator from scientific mode back to standard mode?: How do I change the mode on my calculator from scientific mode to standard mode?8 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-mode-on-my-calculator-from/b260a746-bb1a-4ff0-bbc4-8dcb925a0fb3
  3. How do I change the mode on my calculator from scientific mode back to standard mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the mode on my calculator from scientific mode back to standard mode?: How do I change the mode on my calculator from scientific mode to standard mode?8 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-mode-on-my-calculator-from/b260a746-bb1a-4ff0-bbc4-8dcb925a0fb3
  4. How do I do fractions in the calculator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I do fractions in the calculator: No button. I want to be able to do actual fractional things, not just divide stuff. Like I wanna do 1/5 + 1/5 and get 2/5, not 0.24. Any help??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-do-fractions-in-the-calculator/28bbc929-3db7-4340-8015-ba37a5c4b885
  5. Windows 10 Scientific calculator bug???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Scientific calculator bug???: I am using Calculator version 10.2103.8.0 that came with Windows 10.The Scientific calculator provides the ability to enter angles in degrees, radians, or grads to calculate the sine, cosine, tangent, etc. When using the inverse trig functions the result is converted to the...
  6. Windows 10 Scientific calculator bug???

Windows 10 Scientific calculator bug???: I am using Calculator version 10.2103.8.0 that came with Windows 10.The Scientific calculator provides the ability to enter angles in degrees, radians, or grads to calculate the sine, cosine, tangent, etc. When using the inverse trig functions the result is converted to the...
  7. Calculator 'enters' for every third number I add

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Calculator 'enters' for every third number I add: Hi, I have an issue with the calculator app. I tried restarting both the app and the pc, and googling the issue also got me nowhere, so I'm hoping someone here can help me with this. If I try to enter a string of numbers, like 6+9+5+2, the calculator presses enter after...
  8. Is there a FREE scientific calculator emulator software i can download?

Is there a FREE scientific calculator emulator software i can download?: Hi everyone, m sorry that m asking more questions than writing answers here, but this is the ONLY forum where people are decent and don't fight over petty stuff. I love this forum and really don't want to go anywhere else for my answers, most other forums are full of rude...
  9. Not able to change from scientific formatting to number

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Not able to change from scientific formatting to number: Whenever I am starting a new spreadsheet, existing spreadsheet or a new file and writing number, it automatically shifting to scientific format. And when try to remove decimals it is changing to 0. This problem raised today itself and is there in every cell. Can anybody...
  10. Where is old Windows scientific calculator?

Where is old Windows scientific calculator?: . I have Win 10 Pro. Is there any way to install the old Windows scientific calculator, as shown in screenshot? Thanks. [img] . 102283

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to input 6^-3 in a windows scientific calculator

2. windows 10 calculator scientific notation

3. enter scientific notation windows calculator