Windows 10: How do I expand my "C" drive with a new created volume?

Discus and support How do I expand my "C" drive with a new created volume? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi All, Just shrank my boot system "E" drive slightly, now how do I move the new volume into the "C" drive? Thanks! [img] 25186 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Cornishman, Oct 4, 2015.

1. How do I expand my "C" drive with a new created volume?

Hi All,
    Just shrank my boot system "E" drive slightly, now how do I move the new volume into the "C" drive?
    Thanks!

How do I expand my "C" drive with a new created volume? [​IMG]

:)

Cornishman, Oct 4, 2015
  2. hutchza Win User

How to Remove Recovery/Backup from Primary Drive.

Through pure ignorance, although I have always kept my backup for my PC on an external drive plus an ISO USB, I decided to try the Macrium Reflect to backup my Primary Drive (C), I assumed that it would create it's own partition stupid yes, it proceeded
    to place 2 copies of my entire drive "C" onto the same partition. No new drive. Running Windows 10 -newest version. Only 2 drives "C" and "G", "G" being the Recovery Drive. The backups that Reflect show up nowhere except as Recovery. Tried to do a clean reinstall
    thinking that it would wipe everything off and start over, but no, the backup was still on Drive "C", just as before. My question is, how can I get these Backups off my Primary drive?

hutchza, Oct 4, 2015
  3. farby Win User
    my phone says " System Error " while i delete d broken images frm my phone memory...

Connect the Phone to PC and thru' Windows Explorer search for this file. If you find it Delete from there .. See if it works .

farby, Oct 4, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

How do I expand my "C" drive with a new created volume?

Short answer.. you can't. As far as I know the empty volume has to be on the right had side of your C partition before you can expand it.

Someone might have a better answer and I would like to know it it's possible.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Oct 4, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    lx07, Oct 4, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
  7. I thought this was going to be easy!
    I might expand my "E" drive back to it's original size.

Cornishman, Oct 4, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

I think that's the right thing to do. That 800 MB you could add to C: is totally insignificant.

Kari, Oct 4, 2015
  9. I think you're right!

Cornishman, Oct 4, 2015
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    Well I am surprised to hear some of these answers. I've done what you want to do on my old computer, using MiniTool and from a Boot disk and it was EASY!!! no problem. left side or right side. Seeing how your New Volume is right next to your C-drive, MiniTool can extend your C-drive in about 5 sec's. BUT, like I always say, and do myself ... Make a image backup first. Then extend your C-drive. Bottom line is THIS can be done....with MiniTool ISO which is a free program.

OldMike65, Oct 4, 2015
  11. Kari Win User
    I think in this particular case it is not relevant if it is easy or not; the space OP could add to C: is 0.8 GB whereas the C: is already over 460 GB. The additional space gained is so insignificant the process is not worth doing.

12. I'm worried that if this doesn't work, I might not be able to restore my "E" boot disk into a smaller partition.

Cornishman, Oct 4, 2015
  13. kscott Win User

Suggestion. Do not try to move your partition until after performing an image backup. I tried this in the past with Win 8.1 and my disk signature changed resulting in failure to start Windows.

kscott, Oct 4, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    I never had to do that before so that's why I wasn't sure.

BunnyJ, Oct 4, 2015
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok if you are worried and don't feel right about trying to extend your c-drive partition, then don't. Makes me wonder why you shrank your partition in the 1st place. But, if you made a Complete Image Backup 1st, using something like Macrium Reflect 1st, saved it on a different drive, then you could play with re-sizing your c-drive partition, without ANY worries. Any changes to your partitions that someone wants to make, they should always make image backups 1st. Then it won't matter if it works or not, you just restore your computer back to the original state it was in. You just need to do these steps from a boot disk, or boot usb , I prefer using my dvd. bottom line if your nervous about these changes, don't do it. Your choice.

OldMike65, Oct 4, 2015
Thema:

1. How do I expand my "C" drive with a new created volume? - Similar Threads - expand drive created

2. How do I expand the space on my C drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I expand the space on my C drive?: I am trying to expand space on my C Drive, but in management the extend volume prompt is not available and is grayed out. I have a lot of unallocated space, but it won’t let me extend the volume on the C drive....
  3. How do I expand the space on my C drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I expand the space on my C drive?: I am trying to expand space on my C Drive, but in management the extend volume prompt is not available and is grayed out. I have a lot of unallocated space, but it won’t let me extend the volume on the C drive....
  4. Expand C Drive partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expand C Drive partition: I am running Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude 3540 laptop. It has a 480GB SSD fitted, partitioned as C: & E:. There is about 20GB free of 220GB on C: and about 160GB free of 200GB on E:. In Computer Management, the two partitions are adjacent and there is no unallocated...
  5. Expanding C: drive

Expanding C: drive: Hi,I am running out of space on my C: Drive-and I have tried and searched the internet wisdom, but all answers apply to cases where everything is on the same diskI have 2 separate discs that's how computer came with my purchase-It seems I cannot move allocated partition from...
  6. New C Drive Users was created and is now the default. How do I change this?

New C Drive Users was created and is now the default. How do I change this?: I recently had to fix a problem of black screen error. To fix it, I had to try multiple methods of fixing it. Somewhere along the way, the machine got fixed, but my C drive created a new user. If my normal User is C/Users/Bob, then the added user is C/Users/Bob.LAPTOP. I...
  7. Expanding volume of my C drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Expanding volume of my C drive: My C drive is full. I have an empty D drive. I have a ton of unallocated space behind the D drive. Has anyone figured out how to get the unallocated storage into my C drive? I tried to delete the D drive, but that isn't allowed. I'm about at wit's end here and would...
  8. Can't create new volume or expand existing volume out of unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't create new volume or expand existing volume out of unallocated space.: [ATTACH] Hello, I just can't stand it anymore. I'm so annoyed and pissed. So I have these partitions and I want to expand my D drive (named "Hitachi") by the 466,28 GB unallocated space. The thing is I can't - "Not enought space to complete this operation", something...
  9. How do I move this unallocated volume to the right of my E: Drive to be able to expand it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I move this unallocated volume to the right of my E: Drive to be able to expand it?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SlaynXav [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e59rhc/how_do_i_move_this_unallocated_volume_to_the/
  10. How To Expand C Drive

How To Expand C Drive: I would like to expand my C drive ... all I need is an extra 8 GB. :) I can delete the New Volume (and recreate it) but that does not give me the option to expand my C drive. I have attempted to use Easeus to no avail. Any other suggestions? Thanks! [ATTACH]...