Windows 10: How do I figure out what caused my computer to freeze?

Discus and support How do I figure out what caused my computer to freeze? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; what do you mean event viewer You have an Event Viewer under Computer Management. It tracks...events...such as crashes, driver crashes, etc. That's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018.

1. How do I figure out what caused my computer to freeze?

You have an Event Viewer under Computer Management. It tracks...events...such as crashes, driver crashes, etc. That's always your first stop for diagnosing issues like this.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
  2. McSweg Win User

Specs

GPU: gtx 1070 (latest driver)
    CPU: I7 - 6700k
    RAM: 16gb

So basically I was playing overwatch, no lag or anything it was fine and I went into the main menus clicked "Custom game" I got a error when I clicked custom game it said cant create a custom game if im already in one and my game started to lag very bad, my cursor was jumping and then the game froze where i cant hear the music in the background.

I cant alt tab, i cant ctrl + alt +del, cant alt f4

i have something called super F4 where it ends the process via task manager if i press ctrl + alt + f4 it will end the process through task manager so it's stronger than alt f4...

anyways I tried to use that and it didn't work. I was forced to turn my PC off. Is it possible that a game can freeze to the point it freezes my whole PC? is there anyway I can figure out what exactly caused it and how to stop it from happenining?

:)

McSweg, Apr 13, 2018
  3. Process ID PID ProcessID How do I figure out what piece of software/process this ID belongs to?

I am still seeking general tips on how a home user (A person who purchased their family PC) can identify what programs are when the only data I am given is a PID. I know I learned this in a very basic & general computer class. However, I do not remember
    how to do it. TechNet forums are difficult as they are not necessarily designed for home users. 90% of the posters there seem to be discussing corporate networks. Anyone with general tips/links I am very receptive to your input.

TonySchwartz317, Apr 13, 2018
  4. Jelu Cal Win User

How do I figure out what caused my computer to freeze?

Process ID PID ProcessID How do I figure out what piece of software/process this ID belongs to?

Hi Tony,

Concerns related to the elements of the event logs such as the Process ID are best discussed and facilitated in our TechNet forums. The community includes IT Professionals that would be able to provide insights on your concern. To visit the site, click on
    this
    link

Note: We'd also recommend checking this thread from time to time as there might be community members who would want to share their expertise in relation to your query.

Let us know should you have other concerns that need assistance.

Jelu Cal, Apr 13, 2018
  5. Hi,
    Usually ram will freak things out and cause all sorts of things happen not withstanding several bsod's *Smile
    Are you oc'ing the ram if so how xmp and how high ?

ThrashZone, Apr 13, 2018
  6. pyramid10 Win User
    Event Viewer might be a start, to see if that goes anywhere.

Maybe there is an Overwatch Forum where other players have reported similar experiences and workarounds.

pyramid10, Apr 13, 2018
  7. Another thing to look at, have you made any changes to the game settings since it was working fine. You should also check the game forum and see if anyone else is having this.

Peter Gibbons, Apr 13, 2018
  8. McSweg Win User

Never got any bsods, what is oc'ing the ram? what is xmp?

what do you mean event viewer

no i havent chagned any settings

McSweg, Apr 14, 2018
  9. ThrashZone, Apr 14, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I figure out what caused my computer to freeze? - Similar Threads - figure caused computer

2. How do I figure out what is causing sporadic phantom key-presses?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I figure out what is causing sporadic phantom key-presses?: For the last few months, I've been having an issue with my PC where it will occasionally act as if the control, shift or ALT GR key or some combination of these are being pressed. Nothing other than pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL key seems to be able to unstick them. Due to this...
  3. How do I figure out what is causing sporadic phantom key-presses?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I figure out what is causing sporadic phantom key-presses?: For the last few months, I've been having an issue with my PC where it will occasionally act as if the control, shift or ALT GR key or some combination of these are being pressed. Nothing other than pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL key seems to be able to unstick them. Due to this...
  4. How do I figure out what is causing sporadic phantom key-presses?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can't figure out what's crashing my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't figure out what's crashing my computer: I recently upgrade my motherboard, CPU, SSD, and memory sticks on my computer. Essentially everything but the graphics card has been replaced. I also gave it a fresh install of windows 10, updated all the drivers I could find updates for, and I updated the BIOS. Since...
  6. Can't figure out what's crashing my computer

Can't figure out what's crashing my computer: I recently upgrade my motherboard, CPU, SSD, and memory sticks on my computer. Essentially everything but the graphics card has been replaced. I also gave it a fresh install of windows 10, updated all the drivers I could find updates for, and I updated the BIOS. Since...
  7. How to figure out what is causing Windows 11 BugChecks

How to figure out what is causing Windows 11 BugChecks: In the last few days my Windows 11 system has started to crash on a regular basis, and with various different BugCheck codes displayed on the BSOD, including:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTIONPAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREAIRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALI have exported the BugCheck entries from the...
  8. How to figure out what is causing Windows 11 BugChecks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to figure out what is causing Windows 11 BugChecks: In the last few days my Windows 11 system has started to crash on a regular basis, and with various different BugCheck codes displayed on the BSOD, including:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTIONPAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREAIRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALI have exported the BugCheck entries from the...
  9. BSOD - need to figure out what causing this

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - need to figure out what causing this: Hi there As the user has access to the HP Software Updates, user kicked off the 2 updates in relation to BIOS and NIC firmware upgrade yesterday and come back home and when he started he got the BSOD. User managed to get into Safe mode and now reboot as normal. Checked...
  10. Can't figure out what's causing this BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't figure out what's causing this BSOD: Can someone help me figure out what's causing this BSOD? It's Win 10 Pro (1909). I've made sure the drivers and BIOS are up to date already and ran sfc /scannow that did repair some errors. ************* Path validation summary ************** Response Time (ms) Location...