Windows 10: how do i find additonal usb drives on file explorer

Discus and support how do i find additonal usb drives on file explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I bring up File explorer but it only show C, D, and E drives.. I have a Toshiba external backup drive attached thru a USB port but it does not show.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wlapeer, Jun 30, 2019.

1. wlapeer Win User

how do i find additonal usb drives on file explorer

I bring up File explorer but it only show C, D, and E drives.. I have a Toshiba external backup drive attached thru a USB port but it does not show. Neither does any flash drives I put on USB ports.. What do I have to do to access external drives.. Seems like you all have made it harder to get around file manager the help us to manage our drives.

:)

wlapeer, Jun 30, 2019
  2. Gino Des Win User

My USB Backup drive does not show in My Computer window.

Hi Meran,

A few possible reason can cause your external drive to not show in File Explorer. To diagnose and fix this issue, we suggest that you check the Disk Management window. To open it, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start button.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Alternatively, you can search diskmgmt.msc in Cortana.

Examine the list of drives in the Disk Management window and look for your external drive. Even if it doesn’t show up in File Explorer, it should appear here. If the drive appears, it may not be appearing in File Explorer because it needs to be assigned
    a drive letter. To do this, right-click the partition on the drive in Disk Management and select
    Change Drive Letter and Paths.

If you don’t see the drive in the Disk Management window at all, we suggest that you try connecting the drive to a different USB port or use a different USB cable. We also recommend that you avoid using USB hubs, and connect the drive directly to your computer.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Jun 30, 2019
  3. exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Jun 30, 2019
  4. how do i find additonal usb drives on file explorer

USB Drive Access Permission

Let's try a different approach. Since the updating the driver does not work, see if changing the Security settings on one of the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click the USB's drive on File Explorer and select Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Select an Owner/User and click Edit.
    • Check all the options on the Allowed column, select OK and then Apply.

Update us on the result.

Radney Dri, Jun 30, 2019
Thema:

how do i find additonal usb drives on file explorer

1. how do i find additonal usb drives on file explorer - Similar Threads - find additonal usb

2. how do i find a drive that i disconnected?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i find a drive that i disconnected?: i have accidentally disconnect a drive that needed internet and now i cannot locate it in the computer please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-a-drive-that-i-disconnected/f2ea910e-3859-4a1f-bddb-ce631ef17f50
  3. how do i find a drive that i disconnected?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i find a drive that i disconnected?: i have accidentally disconnect a drive that needed internet and now i cannot locate it in the computer please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-a-drive-that-i-disconnected/f2ea910e-3859-4a1f-bddb-ce631ef17f50
  4. how do i install to a usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i install to a usb drive: im trying to install something on the microsoft store i have a usb drive i use for storage cause the computer is full how do i download it to the usb drive??...
  5. how do i install to a usb drive

how do i install to a usb drive: im trying to install something on the microsoft store i have a usb drive i use for storage cause the computer is full how do i download it to the usb drive??...
  6. How do I view files on usb drive in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I view files on usb drive in windows 11: How o I open USB thumb drive to access files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-view-files-on-usb-drive-in-windows-11/0ef886b7-c523-41f8-b32c-4be0a99931cb
  7. How do I view files on usb drive in windows 11

How do I view files on usb drive in windows 11: How o I open USB thumb drive to access files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-view-files-on-usb-drive-in-windows-11/0ef886b7-c523-41f8-b32c-4be0a99931cb
  8. File explorer fails to find Network Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer fails to find Network Drive: Just installed a Western Digital WD 'My Cloud' drive on my LAN, on same LAN segment to my W10 PC. Using 'My Cloud' facilities I have copied files from the PC to the WD drive. Using File Explorer -> Network all I can 'see' is the PC and Router, not the drive. Hence I...
  9. Finding USB drive

Finding USB drive: I just bought a new computer I plugged a flash drive in and it is not showing. only One Drive shows when I go to File explorer. Why is it not showing? I need to transfer my files....
  10. File Explorer and usb flash drive

File Explorer and usb flash drive: I had a virus that i used Reimage Repair to fix. When i went to file explorer the folder is empty in the usb flash drive so my files arent being saved. What do i do now?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to find usb on file explorer