Windows 10: How do I find missing files that I know are there?

Discus and support How do I find missing files that I know are there? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Today, my Malewarebytes reported a file which had been in my downloads directory, but had disappeared (along with all the files in my Downloads... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gammonGo, Nov 26, 2020.

1. gammonGo Win User

How do I find missing files that I know are there?

Today, my Malewarebytes reported a file which had been in my downloads directory, but had disappeared (along with all the files in my Downloads directory -- more on that later). Malewarebytes reported the file as being in my recycle bin. I do not see the file in my recycle bin.

In Malwarebytes I found the full directory tree to the file: C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-958093239-2335004113-3964217180-1003\.... I tried using File Explorer to get to that directory, but it said "Acess is Denied" (which is infuriating, since own the PC and am the only user... but, whatever).

Next, I use File Explorer to look at "C:\$RECYCLE.BIN" by typing that into the address bar. I do not see the same thing as when I click on Recycle Bin (so frustrating!), but I do see two files named "Recycle Bin" and others and one named "S-1-5-21-958093239-2335004113-3964217180-1003". Access is denied to that last one. I wanted to try to open File Explorer or that directory as a Manager, but couldn't figure it out.

Next I "Giving access to > ... Specific people" and then gave my self Read/Write access and clicking "Share". But now the directory has disappeared. WTF! (am I allowed to say that on this site?)

Where did this file and directory go? How do I find it? It's important to find it because one day last week all files in my Downloads directory disappeared. It wasn't a great loss, but I wanted to find them in Recycle Bin and at least figure out what happened (why they all disappeared) so I can at least feel like I have some control over my own machine. This is so frustrating compared to older versions of windows (and MS DOS!) where I could simply go the directory I wanted and find the files I wanted. I have no idea what this system is doing on my drive.

In Folder Options -- Advanced settings, I have "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" selected. I do NOT have "Hide...(all four".

TY

:)

gammonGo, Nov 26, 2020
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Nov 26, 2020
  3. Burning Files To cdr

I tried to drag a .txt file to the burn list, as suggested above, but it will not drop in. I get a message "+add to burn list" but I cannot get it to drop into the burn list. Is there another step I am missing?

CathleenBaker, Nov 26, 2020
  4. Shoshi Win User

Admin password unknown and missing files after upload

Ok, I know these questions have been asked, but I have tried everything I can understand.
    Need to be spoken like a noob - step by step please.
    Win10 put on my system everything initially fine, then discovered files missing - tried to install a recover program to be frustrated by a prompt to input an admin password with User [USER-PC\USER]
    I have tried every password ever used.
    I have tried going to cmd prompt
    I cant install anything to circumnavigate because I cant get past this dialogue.

any suggests?

Shoshi, Nov 26, 2020
Thema:

1. How do I find missing files that I know are there? - Similar Threads - find missing files

2. LCU files missing, know directory I need, how do I get it back?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    LCU files missing, know directory I need, how do I get it back?: All of the articles I can find online regarding LCU files are "Can I delete them?"I cannot install the latest windows 10 cumulative update because there is a missing LCU directory structure at \windows\servicing\lcu. Normally there are the previous 3 LCU directories there,...
  3. LCU files missing, know directory I need, how do I get it back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LCU files missing, know directory I need, how do I get it back?: All of the articles I can find online regarding LCU files are "Can I delete them?"I cannot install the latest windows 10 cumulative update because there is a missing LCU directory structure at \windows\servicing\lcu. Normally there are the previous 3 LCU directories there,...
  4. LCU files missing, know directory I need, how do I get it back?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do i find missing photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i find missing photos: How do I find missing photos in Windows 11?* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-missing-photos/bde4c596-5a57-42bc-8323-0cba8b442350
  6. How do i find missing photos

How do i find missing photos: How do I find missing photos in Windows 11?* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-missing-photos/bde4c596-5a57-42bc-8323-0cba8b442350
  7. how do i find a missing mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how do i find a missing mouse: how can i recover a missing mouse? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-a-missing-mouse/44cd14fa-2d1b-48ba-836e-8555d617cd2a
  8. Help! How do I find this file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help! How do I find this file?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/OsakiYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jdef6i/help_how_do_i_find_this_file/
  9. How do I find the missing codec of an .mov?

How do I find the missing codec of an .mov?: Upon opening up an .MOV file. I get the message: Missing codec. This item was encoded in a format that's not supported. 0xc00d5212. I have opened up many other like files without a problem. The video function is not working. The audio function works. I can open up the...
  10. How do I find Programs files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I find Programs files: Obviously I can search my files directory, but doesn't seem to work. I can also right click the program and "Open file location," but that doesn't show me all the files are on my PC. I'am really good with computers and good with Apples filing system, but have been having...