Windows 10: How do I find MP3s?

Discus and support How do I find MP3s? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In all previous windows OPs that I have used, I could search for the extension and it would go away and come back with a list. I could put jpg or wav... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Doglover1, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Doglover1 Win User

How do I find MP3s?

In all previous windows OPs that I have used, I could search for the extension and it would go away and come back with a list. I could put jpg or wav files etc. On Windows 10, I cannot find this function at all just that silly cortana thing that then takes me to look it up on the internet, which is how I found this forum.

Yesterday, I spend hours converting a load of CDs to mp3 and put them on the hard drive in specific folders. Now I can find no sign of those folders? Any advice on how I can find MP3s on my laptop would be very useful.

:)

Doglover1, Sep 19, 2017
  2. Rhina Vib Win User

where do i find and how do i download OFFICE SNIP for Windows 10 ... Best Tool for Screenshot, Voice Annotation, Video & Highlighter (Snip for Windows PC)

Hi,

For steps on how to download and install the Office Snip tool, you can refer to the steps below:

• Go to this
      link
      and download the Office Snip tool.
    • Run the installer.
    • Accept the license terms and click Install.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Regards.

Rhina Vib, Sep 19, 2017
  3. where do i find and how do i download OFFICE SNIP for Windows 10 ... Best Tool for Screenshot, Voice Annotation, Video & Highlighter (Snip for Windows PC)

Where do i find and how do i download OFFICE SNIP for WINDOWS 10 .... Best Tool for Screenshot, Voice Annotation, Video & Highlighter (Snip for Windows PC)

[Moved from:
    Microsoft Edge / All other issues / Windows 10]

SparkySparks1, Sep 19, 2017
  4. Sheltieuk Win User

How do I find MP3s?

You can use the 'Search My Pc' option in Windows file Explorer.

Sheltieuk, Sep 19, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hello, as I've posted many times, Cortana's search is limited.
    1. It only finds things that have been indexed by Windows search
    2. It does not find any executable or dll (by design) - not relevant to you here.
    3. To get search results for files, also make sure you use Cortana's filters.

Using file explorer's search bar is more comprehensive.
    However, imagine you have drive E:. You have a few folders indexed on drive E. You have file explorer open at drive E: and you search for something. Your search will be slow as all non-indexed folders will also be searched, and the indexed folders are not prioritised in the results.

In both you can use Advanced Query Syntax (search for that and you'll find a document)
    E.g.
    documents: evernote* type:txt
    works in file explorer
    but not quite in Cortana, where
    documents: evernote*.txt
    works

Note e.g. for music, Advanced Query Syntax includes these options e.g.

How do I find MP3s? [​IMG]

Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

Example:

For Windows search by content to work, you need the appropriate ifilters installed.

So, you have two options:
    1. Index the whole partition containing mp3's and use Windows search

My recommendation: (and that of a good many others)
    2. Use a free 3rd party utility (these are GREAT!) and get find-as-you-type instant search results across all disks.

These have been recommended many times. Free.
    Locate32
    Everything (void tools)
    Ultrasearch

These index files and folders (not contents- for contents use Windows search or other tools).
    They do that once, then maintain it.

Using Windows search and one of those tools you should be able to find things conveniently.

dalchina, Sep 19, 2017
  6. Edit: Beaten by the flying fingers of @dalchina *Smile

Welcome to the forum *Smile
    I suggest you try 3rd party search software like Everything Search by VoidTools or UltraSearch Both are free, fast and efficient, I have been using both for years and have never had a problem
    Both have a portable version so you can test without installing it. I always use the portable version

Simply launch then type .mp3 and the results including the path (location) will appear immediately. You can also double click a song to play it with the default player or right click and add to player playlist etc

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Sep 19, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    File explorer search bar enter *.mp3

cereberus, Sep 19, 2017
  8. mrgeek Win User

How do I find MP3s?

You can type in Cortana and it will find your mp3 files {see screenshot}. A r-click on song will take you to the file location/folder.
    You can also open any file explorer window and search in upper R corner box. I use this even if I know where a file is because it's easier and quicker than scrolling and clicking.
    As mentioned, it takes a little time to index any new files but either way certainly works !

mrgeek, Sep 19, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    @Cerberus @mrgeek If the files are indexed. Otherwise very slow (file explorer).

dalchina, Sep 19, 2017
  10. mrgeek Win User

I find indexing is pretty fast. I just downloaded a song to Downloads and typed name of song in Cortana less than 10 seconds later and it went right to the song in correct folder. Same for a New Text Document put on desktop, instant find.
    File explorer, on the other hand, IS slow searching entire 'This PC' but new song also found in correct location. He can speed up, of course, if he knows his mp3s are in Music folder. *Wink
    He might want to go to Control Panel>Indexing Options and ensure settings are optimal too.

mrgeek, Sep 19, 2017
  11. Yes.

I just checked. Everything found the 30,337 mp3 files on my PC in no more than 1 second.

Sortable by file name or by drive/folder path.

Handy for copying too---if you highlight and right click a bunch of mp3s in the Everything results window, you can then paste those same mp3s to any other location.

ignatzatsonic, Sep 19, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    I meant the file explorer search is fast if the files have been indexed. (Unless you point explorer at the file hierarchy above where you want to search such that non-indexed locations will be searched, as I said above).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How do I find MP3s?

1. How do I find MP3s? - Similar Threads - find MP3s

2. How can I find a person logging in through my accounts and keep them off permanently.? ....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find a person logging in through my accounts and keep them off permanently.? ....: How can I find a person logging in through my accounts? How can I speak to no play with a security issue. One of many. To preface this I have been told to **** ,to take a lot of pills via my laptop in writing, sounds go off in my home, photos data and apps missing deleted or...
  3. How can I find a person logging in through my accounts and keep them off permanently.? ....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I find a person logging in through my accounts and keep them off permanently.? ....: How can I find a person logging in through my accounts? How can I speak to no play with a security issue. One of many. To preface this I have been told to **** ,to take a lot of pills via my laptop in writing, sounds go off in my home, photos data and apps missing deleted or...
  4. we couldn't find compatible cameras with your windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    we couldn't find compatible cameras with your windows: we couldn't find compatible cameras with your windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/we-couldnt-find-compatible-cameras-with-your/8172f01d-a428-4d6b-b100-1c21807d3f6a
  5. we couldn't find compatible cameras with your windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    we couldn't find compatible cameras with your windows: we couldn't find compatible cameras with your windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/we-couldnt-find-compatible-cameras-with-your/8172f01d-a428-4d6b-b100-1c21807d3f6a
  6. we couldn't find compatible cameras with your windows

7. How can I find out what TLS protocols Edge browser is defaulting to?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find out what TLS protocols Edge browser is defaulting to?: My wife goes to "https://silversneakers.com" and my router blocks with Threat Prevention and says "ET POLICY TLSv1.0 Used in Session". This is on her Surface Pro 9 tablet running latest Windows 11 version and Edge version. How can I tell Edge or Windows or Local Policy or...
  8. How can I find out what TLS protocols Edge browser is defaulting to?

How can I find out what TLS protocols Edge browser is defaulting to?: My wife goes to "https://silversneakers.com" and my router blocks with Threat Prevention and says "ET POLICY TLSv1.0 Used in Session". This is on her Surface Pro 9 tablet running latest Windows 11 version and Edge version. How can I tell Edge or Windows or Local Policy or...
  9. Why can my computer no longer find the external ARCAM irDAC-II digital to analog convertor...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can my computer no longer find the external ARCAM irDAC-II digital to analog convertor...: My computer originally had a CPU and motherboard which wasa not compatible to W11. I have just changed them to compatible items. My sound system has run for several years without problems. It also worked with the new motherboard. Soon after the hardware change I reactivated...
  10. Why can my computer no longer find the external ARCAM irDAC-II digital to analog convertor...

Why can my computer no longer find the external ARCAM irDAC-II digital to analog convertor...: My computer originally had a CPU and motherboard which wasa not compatible to W11. I have just changed them to compatible items. My sound system has run for several years without problems. It also worked with the new motherboard. Soon after the hardware change I reactivated...