Windows 10: How do I find out of Defender is running? Run only on-demand

Discus and support How do I find out of Defender is running? Run only on-demand in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; How do I find out of Defender is currently running? If the shield icon is NOT appearing in Systray does NOT mean something. I have no shield icon in... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by pstein, Oct 9, 2020.

1. pstein Win User

How do I find out of Defender is running? Run only on-demand

How do I find out of Defender is currently running?

If the shield icon is NOT appearing in Systray does NOT mean something.
    I have no shield icon in SysTray but I got occasionally notification popus/messages from Defender anyway that there are no threats.

So Defender must be running in background.

My aim is to start Defender only on-demand. Then and only then it should start to search for updates and then perform a scan either
    - for full system
    or
    - to scan only selected directory tree.

Afterwards Defender should immediately and automatically stop (not just sleep but STOP).
    Maybe there is a related Service or Task which needs to be stopped as well?

How can I achieve this?

:)

pstein, Oct 9, 2020

2. windows defender runs slow

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Have you installed any third party security application in your system, apart from Windows 10?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    I would like to inform you that this issue might occur, if the Windows defender is scanning too many junk or malware effected files in the system. As of now,
    I suggest you to run System maintenance task and check if it helps.

The Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computer's, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Click on Run maintenance task under
      System and Security.
    For more information, refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-defender-offline-faq

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 9, 2020
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Why is Windows Defender running?!

Not to worry...

It's not wise to have two malware detectors running in the background at the same time, so when you install a third-party malware program like Avast, Windows stops Windows Defender from running in the background.

However, it's fine to have another malware program scanning on demand, without running in the background, and that's what Windows Defender is doing. In fact, it's good security practice to run a different malware scanner on demand from time to time, because
    no one anti-malware program can detect every possible threat.

For example, I happen to use BitDefender Internet Security, which runs in the background. But every now and then I'll do an on-demand scan with Malwarebytes.

Windows Defender is simply running an on-demand scan, which doesn't interfere with Avast. You're getting something for nothing and it isn't causing a problem.

BulldogXX, Oct 9, 2020
  4. How do I find out of Defender is running? Run only on-demand

Windows Defender Not On

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run virus scan to make sure the computer is free from virus.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download - Windows security

Method 2:

Turn the Defender on. Follow the below steps:

• In search, type Defender.
    • Now make the option ON by moving the slider accordingly.

Method 3: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Select “Run as Administrator”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

How do I find out of Defender is running? Run only on-demand

1. How do I find out of Defender is running? Run only on-demand - Similar Threads - find Defender running

2. How do I find out if Defender is running? Run only on-demand

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I find out if Defender is running? Run only on-demand: How do I find out of Defender is currently running? If the shield icon is NOT appearing in Systray does NOT mean something. I have no shield icon in SysTray but I got occasionally notification popus/messages from Defender anyway that there are no threats. So Defender must...
  3. How do I find this program that's running on startup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I find this program that's running on startup?: I found this on startup, but I don't remember installing it. https://i.imgur.com/D353XMO.png I'd like to uninstall it, but it doesn't show up on programs and I can't find its location. I could disable it on startup, but I want to know where it is so I can uninstall....
  4. How can I find out what is running in back ground

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I find out what is running in back ground: How can I find out what is running in back ground? How can I set my computer to let me know what is running in the background. I can hear something running sometimes. Since I am on a metered wifi I would Like to know...
  5. how do I run defender off line?

how do I run defender off line?: I try to run defender offline and it indicates my system is controlled by my organization. I have none and it is a home computer. I try to change security settings and it indicates some options are controlled by the same nonexistent organization. Was this security designed...
  6. How do I run a Windows Defender scan?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I run a Windows Defender scan?: I have followed every article and I keep reaching dead ends. I am not able to run any files except for a few pre installed apps. I can still play music and watch videos. When I go into Windows Security and go into "Virus and Threat Protection" there are no settings /...
  7. How do I get Windows Defender running again

How do I get Windows Defender running again: I had a problem with my program of Windows Defender as they are not running at the moment. All I see is when I clicked Threat service has stopped. Restart it now. Unexpected error. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again. Now how do I get this working again? Any idea...
  8. How do I change program from running only with "Run As Administrator"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change program from running only with "Run As Administrator": Windows 10 ver. 1803 I have an installed program on a client computer that will only launch if I "Run as Administrator" even though the user account belongs to the Administrator Group. How do I change this without having to uninstall the program? Thank you, 119230
  9. How do I change program from running only with "Run As Administrator"

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change program from running only with "Run As Administrator": I have an installed program on a client computer that will only launch if I "Run as Administrator" even though the user account belongs to the Administrator Group. How do I change this without having to uninstall the program? Thank you, 119231
  10. How do I find a debugger running in my system

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I find a debugger running in my system: I want to run a newly downloaded audio enhancer. When I click on the executable, I get a message (see attached). I have no idea what to do.Attachment 173858 102948