Windows 10: How do I find out what program is calling a .dll file on startup?

Discus and support How do I find out what program is calling a .dll file on startup? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My neice had a virus which I successfully cleaned out, but now every time I start up the laptop I get an error message that it couldn't load... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bearded Dan, Oct 3, 2015.

1. How do I find out what program is calling a .dll file on startup?

My neice had a virus which I successfully cleaned out, but now every time I start up the laptop I get an error message that it couldn't load "C:\Users\her name\AppData\Local\Call Kit\CallKit.dll" and I am having a real trial with attempting t identify what program is calling for the absent .dll file. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Bearded Dan, Oct 3, 2015
  2. HairyFool Win User

RunDLL (Please Help!)

rsx7.dll is not a known common dll file and the path (C:\p07L......) is not a recognised program directory. Pseudo-random directory names are sometimes generated by update installers to unpack the files but the path and dll being unrecognised I would be
    suspicious of the file's origin.

1st check the C:\ drive to see if the directory exists, if it does look at the contents to try and establish what is in it.

Check task manager > Start-up for unknown entries. Try disabling some to see if the error goes.

Then search the registry for rsx7.dll (do NOT make any changes) and see if you can find what program is calling it.

HairyFool, Oct 3, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    DaveM121, Oct 3, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

How do I find out what program is calling a .dll file on startup?

You could download Autoruns for Windows

It will tell you everything that is called on startup and from where.

lx07, Oct 3, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    You could unregister the .dll if you want, here is how:

Unregister and Re-register a.. .dll or .ocx file and delete them

One has to be careful with dll files in case they are shared. try renaming it first from ProgramName.dll to ProgramName.old-- and run your system awhile to see if you get any warnings first, especially at boot up. Then when no problems appear or crashes show up in Reliability History(in the Action Center) then you can unregister the dll.

Open an Admin command prompt by right clicking the windows icon and choose it.

For the path name you can use drag and drop in windows 8 by opening file explorer and dragging the dll to the command prompt after you type regsvr32 /u"For example:
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Windows\System32\amdmantle64.dll" (this is for an AMD ´graphics dll)
    Don't forget the quotes

Registering a dll file

To register a dll or ocx file, open a command prompt windows as an administrator, type the following and hit Enter: regsvr32 “path & filename of dll or ocx“
    Unregistering a dll file:

To un-register a dll or ocx file, open a command prompt windows as an administrator, type the following and hit Enter: regsvr32 /u “path & filename of dll or ocx“

This will register or unregister the dll file.

Cliff S, Oct 3, 2015
  6. Thanks a million halasz - That program is the bomb! Wish I had it for the last 5 years or so, would have sped up quite a few repairs!

Dan

Bearded Dan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How do I find out what program is calling a .dll file on startup?

1. How do I find out what program is calling a .dll file on startup? - Similar Threads - find program calling

2. How do I find out what a startup task in task manager is?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I find out what a startup task in task manager is?: I have a mystery app on my Startup tab in Task Manager simply labelled as "King". It doesn't show up in my programs and files; and I have no idea what it is or does. I also didn't install it. All I know is it's called "King", it's a startup app and it's disabled. There's no...
  3. How do I find out what a startup task in task manager is?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I find out what a startup task in task manager is?: I have a mystery app on my Startup tab in Task Manager simply labelled as "King". It doesn't show up in my programs and files; and I have no idea what it is or does. I also didn't install it. All I know is it's called "King", it's a startup app and it's disabled. There's no...
  4. How do I find out what a startup task in task manager is?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. A startup program called "Program"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A startup program called "Program": I found startup program called "Program". I found this after installing some apps 1- Google chrome /2- Wondershare E-Draw Max why?father more:- within my other pc I found this and after restart the blue screen error occurred....
  6. What is Startup program called "program"

What is Startup program called "program": what is this program in startup called "Program " i am not able to find it in my system and also i don't know is it okay to disable can someone help me to figure out this...
  7. Startup program called "Program"

Startup program called "Program": [ATTACH] I installed some programs that block websites in order to focus on my studies, and after i found out which one suits better for me, i uninstalled the rest, or i thought so. For some reason, there is this startup program called "Program", which after investigating...
  8. How do I find this program that's running on startup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I find this program that's running on startup?: I found this on startup, but I don't remember installing it. https://i.imgur.com/D353XMO.png I'd like to uninstall it, but it doesn't show up on programs and I can't find its location. I could disable it on startup, but I want to know where it is so I can uninstall....
  9. How do I find Programs files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I find Programs files: Obviously I can search my files directory, but doesn't seem to work. I can also right click the program and "Open file location," but that doesn't show me all the files are on my PC. I'am really good with computers and good with Apples filing system, but have been having...
  10. What is program called "File ownership" in my Startup 'Context Menu'?

What is program called "File ownership" in my Startup 'Context Menu'?: From Ccleaner 'startup' tools I found a program name called "File ownership". It has no file location. When I opened it 'registry', I found this location, "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\UpdateEncryptionSettings". What is this? Anybody Knows what is this? Is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. finding programs calling dll