Windows 10: How do i find the process that is preventing me from formatting a HDD?

Discus and support How do i find the process that is preventing me from formatting a HDD? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have transferred all my data onto a brand new SSD . I now want to format the old drive but keep seeing the following error message: 'This drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by surfing69, Aug 28, 2019.

1. surfing69 Win User

How do i find the process that is preventing me from formatting a HDD?

I have transferred all my data onto a brand new SSD .

I now want to format the old drive but keep seeing the following error message:

'This drive is in use. Another program or process is using this drive. Do you want to format it anyway?'

I have closed my AV, malware programs and One drive but to no avail. As far as I am aware I have nothing open from this drive and therefore cannot understand the issue. I even tried the format via Disk Management.

How do i determine what process is still using this drive which is throwing up this error?

Thanks

:)

surfing69, Aug 28, 2019
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Aug 28, 2019
  3. GNJha Win User
    Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Aug 28, 2019
  4. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Aug 28, 2019
Thema:

1. How do i find the process that is preventing me from formatting a HDD? - Similar Threads - find process preventing

2. How do I find which process is calling taskhostw.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I find which process is calling taskhostw.exe: I frequently find everything is slowing to a stop. I will take two or three minutes to open Task Manager and find the disc is running at 100%. Often the task with the highest disc usage is taskhostw.exe, so I usually lower its priority to 'below normal' and raise Task Manager...
  3. How do I find which process is calling taskhostw.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I find which process is calling taskhostw.exe: I frequently find everything is slowing to a stop. I will take two or three minutes to open Task Manager and find the disc is running at 100%. Often the task with the highest disc usage is taskhostw.exe, so I usually lower its priority to 'below normal' and raise Task Manager...
  4. How do I find which process is calling taskhostw.exe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I prevent windows from serving me ads?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I prevent windows from serving me ads?: I need to prevent this from happening: https://i.imgur.com/vnxM3pk.png When I or other users press the windows key and start typing, I'm shown this advertisement for a service I do not want. Is there a way to prevent this? Thanks for the help - Ben...
  6. How Do I Find and Prevent Corrupted Files?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I Find and Prevent Corrupted Files?: I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1903 on my home-built PC that has 16 GB of RAM and I have a minor annoyance that technically I fixed, but I would like to understand better. I'm trying to make backups of my video (MOV) files from my internal hard drive to one of my external hard...
  7. How do I prevent Firefox from opening multiple processes in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I prevent Firefox from opening multiple processes in Windows 10?: About half the time when I use Firefox, it opens multiple processes. These don’t show up on Task Manager; I find out only when trying to open Firefox again, having thought it was shut down. Following posts on the Microsoft boards, I’ve set browser.tabs.remote.autostart to...
  8. How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?: I have four external hard disks connected to my laptop either directly or through a USB hub. I have searched the issue that I'm asking about, but I have not found a definitive answer. The most common solution appears to be to use a program to write a small file to each hard...
  9. How to prevent Cortona processes from running

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to prevent Cortona processes from running: I have Windows 10, and have disabled its processes before so they don't run. I can kill them in task manager, but want to prevent them from running entirely yet again. MS re-enables Cortana on every update, and has made it harder to disable in its entirety. I do not want...
  10. this process prevent me eject harddisk, how to solve the problem?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    this process prevent me eject harddisk, how to solve the problem?: i got eject problem everytime i plug any usb drive when i open the process using a program called "procexp" or process explorer that i downloaded , i found some process preventing the safely remove hardware Screenshot below : Attachment 73756 the process is : 1....