Windows 10: How do I find to what Windows edition is my OEM key related to?

Discus and support How do I find to what Windows edition is my OEM key related to? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I have an ASUS Notebook I had for the last 8 years and of course the HDD went through many wipes. Windows 8 came pre-installed on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JohnLenonYS, Oct 24, 2020.

1. How do I find to what Windows edition is my OEM key related to?

Hello,
    I have an ASUS Notebook I had for the last 8 years and of course the HDD went through many wipes.

Windows 8 came pre-installed on the Notebook, I used OemKey.exe from https://neosmart.net/OemKey/ as mentioned here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install-insiderplat_pc/lost-windows-81-key-after-installing-windows-10/b85e2310-f722-4af7-b367-8f7b6104761f to get the embedded key.

Using Windows 10 ISO downloaded from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO , When I get to the step where I should provide a key, Windows doesn't detect the embedded one so I provide the key found by OemKey and Windows says `couldn't verify please check your install media` , so I skip by pressing `I don't have a key` and I get the list of all Windows 10 editions.

Sadly I don't remember what Windows 8 came pre-installed was it Windows 8 or Windows 8N or what edition, I only remember it was a Windows 8 64bits French language as default.

So I was wondering if there's a way to find to what Windows edition is my key related to?

:)

JohnLenonYS, Oct 24, 2020

2. Question On OEM Windows clean install......

"Flavors" of Windows licenses

Windows can be a little "odd" about license keys. There are at least 4 categories:
    • Retail
    • OEM
    • Volume (electronic download)
    • Corporate (no key needed)
    For guaranteed success, the license key and media should be in the same category. If you have retail media, you may not be able to install it using an OEM or Volume license key, even though the key is valid for that version of Windows. *Wtf :wtf: Apparently, this is part of Microsoft's anti-piracy scheme (i.e., all customers are guilty until proven innocent).

Static~Charge, Oct 24, 2020
  3. $immond$ Win User
    Windows 7 OEM key works for Retail Edition?

Alright so my Windows 7 64 OEM version is coming in the mail but wont be in till next week. So what I plan to do is to install my friends retail 64 Windows 7 and add my OEM key when I get it.

Can I do this? Or am I am going to have to reformat and install the OEM version?

$immond$, Oct 24, 2020
  4. jsalpha2 Win User

How do I find to what Windows edition is my OEM key related to?

Windows 7 OEM key

Hope this is not against the rules. If you do a clean install of Windows 10, it may, (has for me) accept a Win 7 OEM key and activate.

jsalpha2, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

How do I find to what Windows edition is my OEM key related to?

1. How do I find to what Windows edition is my OEM key related to? - Similar Threads - find edition OEM

2. Are OEM editions available to businesses as a group of related keys with central...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are OEM editions available to businesses as a group of related keys with central...: Hi. I'm looking to start a business. Can OEM editions be purchased as a group of related keys with central administration for the purpose of virtual access across devices? Thank you....
  3. Are OEM editions available to businesses as a group of related keys with central...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are OEM editions available to businesses as a group of related keys with central...: Hi. I'm looking to start a business. Can OEM editions be purchased as a group of related keys with central administration for the purpose of virtual access across devices? Thank you....
  4. How do I find my product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I find my product key: How do I find my product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-my-product-key/7adac39a-6343-4699-a8b7-b29886309c21
  5. related to OEM key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    related to OEM key: Hi experts, i need to know that can i use my OEM key again in my computer?my preinstalled windows 10 HOME enabled with OEM key got crashed, so i took my laptop to service center they installed a new version of windows 10 enterprise with KMS server and i know that it is not...
  6. related to OEM key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    related to OEM key: Hi experts, i need to know that can i use my OEM key again in my computer?my preinstalled windows 10 HOME enabled with OEM key got crashed, so i took my laptop to service center they installed a new version of windows 10 enterprise with KMS server and i know that it is not...
  7. related to OEM key

8. How do I find my product key?

How do I find my product key?: Hello Support team, I've lost my product key and can't seem to find it. how can i get in contact with a person that can help me find my product key for my computer?My computer is currently needing me to enter my product key to activate it so that I can use its functions, such...
  9. how do I find my network key?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do I find my network key?: Please tell me how to find my network key? Is that the same as my IP address? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-my-network-key/484811f0-c50d-43a7-8399-5414c4d3260f
  10. How do I find my product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I find my product key?: How do I find my product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-my-product-key/0a31418d-dd65-4e57-b09d-6a2b8aae6c73"