Windows 10: How do I fix File Folder Searching

Discus and support How do I fix File Folder Searching in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using a Dell XPS 15 (9550) with an i7-6700HQ, and 16gb ram. This laptop is used as my main work desktop, so this is my mule. As of last month... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Goliath27, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Goliath27 Win User

How do I fix File Folder Searching

I am using a Dell XPS 15 (9550) with an i7-6700HQ, and 16gb ram.

This laptop is used as my main work desktop, so this is my mule. As of last month up until now, something changed and I don't understand what it could have been. My folder searching does NOT work.

How do I fix File Folder Searching [​IMG]

For example: If I navigate to my main folder which is also a Google Drive connected folder, and I want to search for a file or document, I just type that and it pulls up all of the related documents. If I search for a Motion or Demand for Discovery, it should pull up many, and I mean many different files with that title.

Now, nothing is found. It just says "No Items match your Description."

I have rebuilt the Index 3 times now and nothing is fixed. This is an important function for me as there are thousands of files within these folders, and it has become rather troublesome to recall a file location from memory.

How do I fix File Folder Searching [​IMG]

:)

Goliath27, Aug 28, 2016

2. How do I fix open folder with file explorer

WinKey+X -> Command Prompt (Admin)

Copy & Paste the following command :

reg add HKCR\Directory\shell /d none /f

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Aug 28, 2016
  3. How do I fix open folder with file explorer

Keith's command would set the default double-click action to "Open" and thereby fixes the error.

In case of missing registry keys under "Directory" (for some reason "cmd" is becoming the default action for many users with incomplete verb command). Here is such as case.

this file does not have a program associated with it for performing - Microsoft Community

this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action error

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 28, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Aug 28, 2016
  5. Goliath27 Win User
    So good news, I solved my issue simply by searching these forums, something I should have done before I posted like an idiot.

The links you provided, I have tried them before to no avail. What did work was the comment linked File Explorer Search Not Working

I must have been missing the System permissions for some reason. Re-added per her instructions, and then re-indexed everything. Now all is well again!!!!

Goliath27, Aug 28, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Well done.. posting here isn't a sign of idiocy.. at least I hope not!

dalchina, Aug 28, 2016
  7. Goliath27 Win User
    I know and I searched for weeks for a solution. It just happens to be that I found it right after posting here. Hope it helps someone else who may need the same answer. I was ready to reformat from this issue.

Goliath27, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I fix File Folder Searching - Similar Threads - fix File Folder

2. How do I fix this cramped search icon?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix this cramped search icon?: My search index icon is kinda having display problems, I tried to move it to left and back to center again but nothing is fixing it. I hope to make it looks back to what it looks like, here's the image :...
  3. How do I keep Windows Search from searching the folder name of files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I keep Windows Search from searching the folder name of files?: I'm have a problem with Windows Search. It's hard to explain which makes it impossible to search the internet forIt doesn't seem to happen with every folder. But, if I have a folder called "Windows" and I put into a file called "windows" or a document that contains the word...
  4. How do I keep Windows Search from searching the folder name of files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I keep Windows Search from searching the folder name of files?: I'm have a problem with Windows Search. It's hard to explain which makes it impossible to search the internet forIt doesn't seem to happen with every folder. But, if I have a folder called "Windows" and I put into a file called "windows" or a document that contains the word...
  5. How do I keep Windows Search from searching the folder name of files?

6. How do I search specific folders in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I search specific folders in File Explorer?: How do I search specific file folders including their subfolders?I'm specifically wanting to search text within files that are documents via File Explorer....
  7. How do I search specific folders in File Explorer?

How do I search specific folders in File Explorer?: How do I search specific file folders including their subfolders?I'm specifically wanting to search text within files that are documents via File Explorer....
  8. How do I search for dedicated folders and speedup the search engine

How do I search for dedicated folders and speedup the search engine: a) search for dedicated folders e.g. music folders using explorer. b)speed up the awful win 10 search engine so I do not have to look at an expanding ribbon for what seems ages. Thank you, I very much hope I will not be directed to starting windows with a clean boot and...
  9. How do I search only 1 or a group of selected folders for files.

How do I search only 1 or a group of selected folders for files.: I would like to search just a selected few folders for a file or files of type jpg, ico, txt etc. or some*letters*.dat. Maybe I'm making myself clear. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks; K E T...
  10. How do I fix the search box and saved searches?

in Cortana
    How do I fix the search box and saved searches?: Hi, I have a laptop running Windows 10 and went on it today to sort some photos out and do some work. I have a saved search for JPG files which I use to find all my photos. When I clicked on it today though it first said 'no items match your search' (I have a lot of photos)...