Windows 10: How do I force Windows to require a long press on my case power button to shutdown

Discus and support How do I force Windows to require a long press on my case power button to shutdown in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Basically I have a brand new case, and I didn't planned that the fact that the power button were on top would be in an issue. Basically my cat loves to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/vinz243, Dec 7, 2019.

1. How do I force Windows to require a long press on my case power button to shutdown

Basically I have a brand new case, and I didn't planned that the fact that the power button were on top would be in an issue. Basically my cat loves to lay on top of my PC (I assume because of the warmth), but when she does she presses the button and bye bye whatever I was doing. I would like to know if there is a way to require a long press on both buttons to prevent those kind of situation

submitted by /u/vinz243
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/vinz243, Dec 7, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Windows 10- have to force shutdown via power button

@infotech, do you mean you have to press and hold the power button until it kills the power abruptly?

If so, you could try disabling fast start-up in Control panel > Power options - Choose what the power button does' (you'll need to click 'Change settings that are currently unavailable'). For good measure, delete the hiberfil.sys that it uses by opening a Command Prompt (Admin) and typing:
    powercfg /hibernate off

If you can now shut down properly, try undoing the changes. Use 'powercfg /hibernate on' then the Control Panel's Power options. It may be that settings got corrupted and remaking them will sort it.

Bree, Dec 7, 2019
  3. shutdown

how can i find that shutdown caused by pressing the power button of cpu? is there any way or event log id history to find that the shutdown was done in a normal way or not. because shutting down pc by power button is not listed as a force or a hard shutdown
    so it can't give ciritica event id in event viewer or in view reliability history . so how can i identify that the last shutdown was an proper shtudown or an shutdown caused by pressing the power button of pc case

debasishnag, Dec 7, 2019
  4. infotech Win User

How do I force Windows to require a long press on my case power button to shutdown

Windows 10- have to force shutdown via power button

Windows 10 x64

Until a few days ago, my laptop used to shutdown ie hybrid quickly. Now, my laptop refuses to shutdown unless I use the power button to force a shutdown.

I have checked to see whether it was because of an update, but this is not the case.

I have run virus/malware scans.
    My laptop reports the disk is OK.
    I have run scannow and no integrity violations.

I would be grateful for help please.

infotech, Dec 7, 2019
Thema:

How do I force Windows to require a long press on my case power button to shutdown

1. How do I force Windows to require a long press on my case power button to shutdown - Similar Threads - force require long

2. How do I switch on my laptop that won't power on when I press the power button it is non...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I switch on my laptop that won't power on when I press the power button it is non...: My laptop a Mecer Z140C express + won't switch on. This started when I clicked update and shutdown the previous evening and then the next morning it wouldn't switch on. When I plug in the laptop to charge the light on the side is green which shows that it's full but the...
  3. How do I switch on my laptop that won't power on when I press the power button it is non...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I switch on my laptop that won't power on when I press the power button it is non...: My laptop a Mecer Z140C express + won't switch on. This started when I clicked update and shutdown the previous evening and then the next morning it wouldn't switch on. When I plug in the laptop to charge the light on the side is green which shows that it's full but the...
  4. How do I switch on my laptop that won't power on when I press the power button it is non...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Power supply not On when I press Power Button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power supply not On when I press Power Button: I've been facing an issue with my Dell OptiPlex CPU for the past few days, and I'm in need of some expert guidance to find a permanent solution.The problem I'm encountering is that my Dell OptiPlex CPU is not turning on. When I press the power button, the light on the button...
  6. My PC lags if I don't force shutdown by holding the power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My PC lags if I don't force shutdown by holding the power button: My version number is 19042.867 This is what happens: If I normally shut down the PC through the Windows panel, when I turn it on again it lags. By lagging, I mean that every second, it freezes for a few frames. But not only the screen, audio as well. The only way for that not...
  7. PC won’t shutdown unless I force shutdown by holding power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC won’t shutdown unless I force shutdown by holding power button: Hi, My computer has been having problem shutdown completely. Whenever I clicked “shutdown”, the screen would turn dark, but the PC was still running because I could hear the fan, and my headset’s light was on (usually when it was completely shutdown, the light of the...
  8. Windows 10- have to force shutdown via power button

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10- have to force shutdown via power button: Windows 10 x64 Until a few days ago, my laptop used to shutdown ie hybrid quickly. Now, my laptop refuses to shutdown unless I use the power button to force a shutdown. I have checked to see whether it was because of an update, but this is not the case. I have run...
  9. Shutdown Button Delay & Long Shutdowns

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown Button Delay & Long Shutdowns: Hello, I've been researching this issue I'm experiencing but I haven't come across anything that has helped. Issue: Click on the start menu > Power > Shutdown. Computer does not immediately shut down. I can continue to do tasks for about 30seconds. The computer...
  10. Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Enable forced button/lid shutdown" from Power Options in Windows The Power button action is set to Shut down. When Enable forced button/lid shutdown is turned off...