Windows 10: How do I format/clean install Windows 10 and how do i make 2 partitions C: and D:

Discus and support How do I format/clean install Windows 10 and how do i make 2 partitions C: and D: in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm just learning to install w10 and the only thing that i want to know very well , it's how to make 2 partitions , partition C: and D: because I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Marinel Cipu, Aug 12, 2018.

1. How do I format/clean install Windows 10 and how do i make 2 partitions C: and D:

I'm just learning to install w10 and the only thing that i want to know very well , it's how to make 2 partitions , partition C: and D: because I don't really understand how it works. I also want to know how can I do a format/clean install for W10 . I saw this video https://youtu.be/DrU15eHzkQU , maybe this is the solution , to partition w10 in C: and D: ?

:)

Marinel Cipu, Aug 12, 2018

2. Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Aug 12, 2018
  3. Windows 10 clean install mess up partitions?

If I do a clean install of Windows 10, will it mess up the partitions I have on my 2TB drive?

MxPhenom 216, Aug 12, 2018
  4. How do I format/clean install Windows 10 and how do i make 2 partitions C: and D:

Windows 10 clean install mess up partitions?

I had no issues upgrading from your exact OS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit to Windows 10. All my partitions from 2 SSD's and 3 HDD's were fine. Windows 10 even kept the custom names I have for the various drives. A clean install on your SSD shouldn't affect your 2TB drive.

InhaleOblivion, Aug 12, 2018
Thema:

How do I format/clean install Windows 10 and how do i make 2 partitions C: and D:

1. How do I format/clean install Windows 10 and how do i make 2 partitions C: and D: - Similar Threads - format clean install

2. How do i make a reserved system partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i make a reserved system partition: How do i make a reserved system partition? i am trying to move my system partition in the same disk that have the boot partition disk 2 but i cant since my system file is on the same partition that have all my personal files volume L. Is there any way that i can separate the...
  3. How do I do a 'clean install' for Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I do a 'clean install' for Windows 7?: I had downloaded Windows 10 but I still prefer Windows 7 and I have the Original USB installation stick to reload Windows 7. I'm not sure if I have to use a Command prompt and Format C: or if I can just use the BIOS and boot from USB. I just want it to work properly with no...
  4. How do I do a 'clean install' for Windows 7?

How do I do a 'clean install' for Windows 7?: I had downloaded Windows 10 but I still prefer Windows 7 and I have the Original USB installation stick to reload Windows 7. I'm not sure if I have to use a Command prompt and Format C: or if I can just use the BIOS and boot from USB. I just want it to work properly with no...
  5. How do I clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I clean install?: I'm planning to do a factory reset. but recently I got few recommendations that I should do a clean install instead. What is better? Factory reset or clean install?If so, how do I clean install?...
  6. How do I clean install?

How do I clean install?: I'm planning to do a factory reset. but recently I got few recommendations that I should do a clean install instead. What is better? Factory reset or clean install?If so, how do I clean install?...
  7. How do I format a disc in Drive D:?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I format a disc in Drive D:?: How do I format my disc in Drive D? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-format-a-disc-in-drive-d/faacf221-3c57-4aac-8da1-2e77b8aea709
  8. How do I do a perfect Windows 10 Clean Install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I do a perfect Windows 10 Clean Install?: I was told in another question over in the Performance & System Failures forum and I forgot to make myself a How To doc. Hopefully the guy that had given me his list will see this and give it to me again. I hope it's just a simple Copy / Paste for him and that's what I'll do...
  9. How do I format partition C?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I format partition C?: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, please nice to tell me how I'm creating partition C where Windows is installed. Wait for response! A good day! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/how-do-i-format-partition-c/02d73368-b9b6-4d2a-84ef-0da14c560b9b
  10. How to make a D:\ partition ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to make a D:\ partition ?: I bought a new PC after my original PC crashed, apparently it no longer has a working internal drive. The original files I need to recover were on two partitions, C\ and D\. So now when I boot up with the new Windows 10 PC, how can I set aside another D Partition?...