Windows 10: How do I free up storage on my Surface Pro 6 and why is it lying to me about the numbers?

Discus and support How do I free up storage on my Surface Pro 6 and why is it lying to me about the numbers? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So my wonderful Surface Pro 6 has always had plenty of storage for me. I never used it for any big applications or hefty games. But recently I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DragynJump, Apr 25, 2020.

1. How do I free up storage on my Surface Pro 6 and why is it lying to me about the numbers?

So my wonderful Surface Pro 6 has always had plenty of storage for me. I never used it for any big applications or hefty games. But recently I was bored and decided to install Resident Evil 7 on my Surface Pro, which took up a lot of space but I knew I could always delete it later. Side note, I swear I remember it saying it it would take up a whopping 70 GB of storage when I installed it, yet now checking back it says it only takes 20 GB.

After finishing the game I took interest in Metro 2033 and decided to buy it, but realized I needed to update my computer from Windows 17380 to 18382. Currently my data storage was using around 94 GB of data with an additional 20 GB left over. Then I updated my computer to the newest version, and everything seemed fine until I checked the data and found I only had 10 GB left over in storage. I went through and removed all the information from the old Windows version I had until I had enough to install the 7 GB size Metro 2033 game, leaving me with 7 GB left over, turning the bar red in warning.

Here's the kicker.

I realized temporary files were filling up my scratch disk and causing me problems because the storage was so full, so I decided to uninstall the large Resident Evil 7 file on my computer to go back to normalcyI already own it in the Xbox store, so I could always reinstall it. To my shock, after uninstalling Resident Evil 7 and completely wiping it from my computer, I found my data storage HAD NOT CHANGED AT ALL. I've combed through every part of my computer and have concluded that the game has been successfully removed from my system completely. Even the Xbox store informs me that it's not on my computer.

This has created a serious issue where my computer runs fine, but there's no room for anything else to be put on it. I rested easy before because I had tons of free storage to fall back on, but now it's permanently near the top, which causes me undue anxiety. I have since deleted applications, removed thousands of personal items, and transferred files over to USB drives to finally put myself back to 19.6 GB of free storage, but the numbers don't add up.

If I had a game that at a minimum took up 20 GB of data, and after deleting said game as well as hundreds of other things while not installing anything new since that deletion, how is it possible for my system to have less than 20 GB extra storage left? Beyond that, when I examine the folder thingy labelled Local Disk, all the folders within have added data values of 54.3 GB, but it outright tells me that the whole thing is 97.4 GB fullNearly DOUBLE the amount accounted for.

Simply put, I can't delete anything more out of fear that I could be deleting things vital to my computer. But if I could find where this absurd 45 GB discrepancy is coming from, or why uninstalling my game didn't change the data storage, I could rest easy at night and continue using my beloved Surface Pro 6 without constraints.
    Sorry for the long story, I hope the information I provide helps solve the issue.

:)

DragynJump, Apr 25, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

New Surface Pro 5 and Surface Pro 6 firmware for Windows 10 - Aug. 29 Surface

Source:

Brink, Apr 25, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    New Surface Pro 5 and Surface Pro 6 firmware for Windows 10 - Aug. 29

Source:

Brink, Apr 25, 2020
  4. How do I free up storage on my Surface Pro 6 and why is it lying to me about the numbers?

Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Apr 25, 2020
Thema:

How do I free up storage on my Surface Pro 6 and why is it lying to me about the numbers?

1. How do I free up storage on my Surface Pro 6 and why is it lying to me about the numbers? - Similar Threads - free storage Surface

2. How do I get my touchscreen fixed? surface pro 6

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get my touchscreen fixed? surface pro 6: I recently bought my surface pro 6 second hand and it worked as it should for about a week or two. However, just an hour ago I was no longer able to use my touch screen. I specifically got a surface pro for the touch screen ability, so I could draw on the screen with my art...
  3. How do I get my touchscreen fixed? surface pro 6

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get my touchscreen fixed? surface pro 6: I recently bought my surface pro 6 second hand and it worked as it should for about a week or two. However, just an hour ago I was no longer able to use my touch screen. I specifically got a surface pro for the touch screen ability, so I could draw on the screen with my art...
  4. Surface Pro storage slowly goes down then frees up dramatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Pro storage slowly goes down then frees up dramatically: Hi! I have a Surface Pro 4 or at least I think it is. And my storage space keeps going in this endless loop of lots of storage free to a smaller amount. Like last month it was at 129GB free and now it's at 109GB free. I do have some viruses that I was able to delete but I...
  5. Storage Space Problem On Surface Pro 6

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Space Problem On Surface Pro 6: Even though I have deleted nearly everything on my surface pro, the local disk is still nearly 105GB out of 119GB filled up. I have checked through everything that I know of and nothing could be taking up that much space. Any ideas on how to get rid of this problem and free...
  6. How best to ground Surface Pro 6?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How best to ground Surface Pro 6?: This is crazy, but I have had touchpad trackpad issues practically as long as I've owned this pc, and I FINALLY came across an answer online, but... I never noticed that my cursor responds normally when the Surface is unplugged because I don't use it on battery much, but when...
  7. How do I transfer EVERYTHING from Surface Pro 3 to Surface Pro 6 transfer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I transfer EVERYTHING from Surface Pro 3 to Surface Pro 6 transfer: Hi, How do I transfer EVERYTHING from Surface Pro 3 to Surface Pro 6? Please include programs, Files, APPS data, photos email etc. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-transfer-everything-from-surface-pro-3-to/c5450f2d-9048-453f-9047-6d4b9762e223
  8. How do I load zbrush 2019 on to Microsoft Surface Pro 6

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I load zbrush 2019 on to Microsoft Surface Pro 6: When I launch Zbrush 2019, on Surface Pro 6 "the application has failed to start because its side-by side- configuration is incorrect" I've tried using various Administrator Command Prompts, but no success. Any other suggestions, please? I only got the Surface...
  9. Surface Pro 6?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 6?: What DVD CD external unit is recommended for my new Surface Pro 6? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-6/ae634952-a688-4247-85d7-780381370a9a
  10. How do I utilize OneDrive for freeing up storage space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I utilize OneDrive for freeing up storage space?: I have a lot of photos on Dropbox and wanted to switch them over to OneDrive, as my Dropbox was full and I have unlimited OneDrive space so I may as well utilize it, but after moving everything over, all the photos are showing up in the OneDrive folder in Windows Explorer....