Windows 10: How do i get Attributes to Stick?

Discus and support How do i get Attributes to Stick? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi: It has been a long while since I visited this Forum. I hope that all of you are well and staying safe. I am again experiencing a problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by VinceB, May 6, 2020.

1. VinceB Win User

How do i get Attributes to Stick?

Hi:

It has been a long while since I visited this Forum. I hope that all of you are well and staying safe.

I am again experiencing a problem concerning how to set the File Manager columns such that the Attributes column is always displayed and is also located to the left of the Name column. I was given an answer long ago that worked for a while, but now does not stick. https://www.tenforums.com/images/smilies/banghead.gif It is frustrating for me to set Attributes "on" and then move the column to the desired position in FM. I can only recall that it had something to do with "View" settings. I'm guessing that a Windows update broke my previously working setting.

Sorry that I have forgotten the steps that must be followed to get my preferred FM layout to stick; but you see, old age came on quicker than I expected! Please help me with precise step-by-step instructions or a pointer to a tutorial.

Regards,

P.S. Can someone remind me how to view my previous postings to the Tens Forum?

:)

VinceB, May 6, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

USB stick previously used as a boot stick for Killdisk not recognized

Try method 2 under Windows 7 8 10 here:
    Free to Remove Readonly Attribute in Windows

Method 2: Clear readonly status with Diskpart

In Windows 10, 8, 7 OS, you are also able to run Diskpart in Command Prompt to clear read-only attribute on any partition on your computer. You can follow the tutorial below:

Step 1. Open Command Line and type Diskpart
    Step 2. Type list disk
    Step 3. Type select disk (disk number)
    Step 4. Type attributes disk clear readonly

How do i get Attributes to Stick? [​IMG]

Then try Clean

NavyLCDR, May 6, 2020
  3. Change file attribute to 'unhide'

Hello Walt,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the attribute of any file/folder to unhide.

Step A: Show Hidden files

1. Open Windows Explorer(win logo key+E) or My computer.

2. Now click on View on top of the window.
    3. Untick ‘Hidden items’ in the options.

Step B: Change file attribute

1. Once the hidden file is located, right click on the file/folder you want to change the attribute for.

2. Go to ‘properties’, untick the box facing hidden.

3. Now, Click on ‘apply’ and then ‘ok’.

Hope it helps.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 6, 2020
  4. PC Chang Win User

The extended attributes are inconsistent.

Windows keeps on telling me to scan drive for error and drive c has been repaired for several time upon windows requirement.

There's only that one message, the extendent attribute not consistent.

System file checker, recovery system, changing sound setting to no sound, resetting my administrator.

PC Chang, May 6, 2020
Thema:

1. How do i get Attributes to Stick? - Similar Threads - Attributes Stick

2. Read only Attribute preventing installation of visual studio buld tools and creation of dll

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read only Attribute preventing installation of visual studio buld tools and creation of dll: I cant install new tools for visual studio right now and I can't compile a dll I am working on. My folders even new ones that I create continue to display a read only attribute that I have never once seen applied to my folders in 30 years of using windows. I'm no programmer...
  3. Read only Attribute preventing installation of visual studio buld tools and creation of dll

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Read only Attribute preventing installation of visual studio buld tools and creation of dll: I cant install new tools for visual studio right now and I can't compile a dll I am working on. My folders even new ones that I create continue to display a read only attribute that I have never once seen applied to my folders in 30 years of using windows. I'm no programmer...
  4. With Azure, is it possible to bulk invite users but provide further attributes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    With Azure, is it possible to bulk invite users but provide further attributes?: I would like to bulk invite users with attributes for that user. I have been using this bulk invite option from within the Entra/AAD area but would like to be able to provide further attributes. For example, I would like to import using first name, last name, email,...
  5. With Azure, is it possible to bulk invite users but provide further attributes?

With Azure, is it possible to bulk invite users but provide further attributes?: I would like to bulk invite users with attributes for that user. I have been using this bulk invite option from within the Entra/AAD area but would like to be able to provide further attributes. For example, I would like to import using first name, last name, email,...
  6. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Attributes: Hello. I was wondering if I reset my laptop to its factory settings, will all my files revert back to their original attributes hidden, read only, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-attributes/eb32f7ce-d925-452f-a4a9-7cd8d2d7de28
  7. File Attributes

File Attributes: Hello. I was wondering if I reset my laptop to its factory settings, will all my files revert back to their original attributes hidden, read only, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-attributes/eb32f7ce-d925-452f-a4a9-7cd8d2d7de28
  8. How does win 10 control folder attributes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How does win 10 control folder attributes?: I was in the process of changing jpgs in the meta data of my mp3 collection. I'd finished several hundred before the updates stopped taking. I tried dropping to dos and used the attribute -r command to fix this. Although I didn't get an error the change did not take place. In...
  9. How does win 10 control folder attributes?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How does win 10 control folder attributes?: I was in the process of changing jpgs in the meta data of my mp3 collection. I'd finished several hundred before the updates stopped taking. I tried dropping to dos and used the attribute -r command to fix this. Although I didn't get an error the change did not take place. In...
  10. How does win 10 control folder attributes?