Windows 10: How do i get Attributes to Stick?

Discus and support How do i get Attributes to Stick? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi: It has been a long while since I visited this Forum. I hope that all of you are well and staying safe. I am again experiencing a problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by VinceB, May 6, 2020.

1. VinceB Win User

How do i get Attributes to Stick?

Hi:

It has been a long while since I visited this Forum. I hope that all of you are well and staying safe.

I am again experiencing a problem concerning how to set the File Manager columns such that the Attributes column is always displayed and is also located to the left of the Name column. I was given an answer long ago that worked for a while, but now does not stick. https://www.tenforums.com/images/smilies/banghead.gif It is frustrating for me to set Attributes "on" and then move the column to the desired position in FM. I can only recall that it had something to do with "View" settings. I'm guessing that a Windows update broke my previously working setting.

Sorry that I have forgotten the steps that must be followed to get my preferred FM layout to stick; but you see, old age came on quicker than I expected! Please help me with precise step-by-step instructions or a pointer to a tutorial.

Regards,

P.S. Can someone remind me how to view my previous postings to the Tens Forum?

:)

VinceB, May 6, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

USB stick previously used as a boot stick for Killdisk not recognized

Try method 2 under Windows 7 8 10 here:
    Free to Remove Readonly Attribute in Windows

Method 2: Clear readonly status with Diskpart

In Windows 10, 8, 7 OS, you are also able to run Diskpart in Command Prompt to clear read-only attribute on any partition on your computer. You can follow the tutorial below:

Step 1. Open Command Line and type Diskpart
    Step 2. Type list disk
    Step 3. Type select disk (disk number)
    Step 4. Type attributes disk clear readonly

How do i get Attributes to Stick? [​IMG]

Then try Clean

NavyLCDR, May 6, 2020
  3. Change file attribute to 'unhide'

Hello Walt,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the attribute of any file/folder to unhide.

Step A: Show Hidden files

1. Open Windows Explorer(win logo key+E) or My computer.

2. Now click on View on top of the window.
    3. Untick ‘Hidden items’ in the options.

Step B: Change file attribute

1. Once the hidden file is located, right click on the file/folder you want to change the attribute for.

2. Go to ‘properties’, untick the box facing hidden.

3. Now, Click on ‘apply’ and then ‘ok’.

Hope it helps.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 6, 2020
  4. PC Chang Win User

The extended attributes are inconsistent.

Windows keeps on telling me to scan drive for error and drive c has been repaired for several time upon windows requirement.

There's only that one message, the extendent attribute not consistent.

System file checker, recovery system, changing sound setting to no sound, resetting my administrator.

PC Chang, May 6, 2020
Thema:

1. How do i get Attributes to Stick? - Similar Threads - Attributes Stick

2. What does the “withPassProcessed” attribute do in the sysprep unattend.xml configuration file?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What does the “withPassProcessed” attribute do in the sysprep unattend.xml configuration file?: I'm trying to learn a little bit about sysprep and the unattend.xml file setup/configuration. Several examples show the use of a "withPassProcessed" attribute. However, I am unable to find a reference to it. Can someone please explain this to me? …...
  3. Windows 10 folder attribute

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 folder attribute: What does it mean between A no mark B square mark and C V mark in Windows 10 folder attribute "read only only applies to files in folder"? I ask this because I see that all my folders has B, and every time I try to do A or C it always coming back to B. I've googled it...
  4. You will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes"

in Windows 10 Customization
    You will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes": Why did this happen again? I can't access the files on my external drive. Windows 10 hid them AGAIN! I cannot unhide them. PLEASE help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-will-need-to-provide-administrator-permission/1269164d-af9f-4974-9b57-09c68943eba4
  5. Attribute record 80, "" corrupt file segments

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Attribute record 80, "" corrupt file segments: Keep getting a message that I need to restart to repair something. I restart and the drive is scanned and repair initiated but doesn't fix whatever needs fixing. I run CHKDSK from command prompt and get the following 10 files see below showing as corrupt. I run /f, and /r and...
  6. Readonly Attribute in windows 10 is not getting removed.

Readonly Attribute in windows 10 is not getting removed.: Hi, I tried earlier steps discussed by you, Right-click the folder, then select Properties. Go to Security tab, then click Advanced. Click Change to the right of Owner. Enter Users into the box, then click OK. Enable the checkbox Replace owner on sub containers and...
  7. Regex searching in Start Menu possible? Or at least search by "comment" attributes?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Regex searching in Start Menu possible? Or at least search by "comment" attributes?: I could search photos by querying their tag name in the start menu but not by the values in their comment field (right click properties > details tab > description > comments; jpg files, png files have no comment attribute). it does show up in file explorer, just not through...
  8. list of hidden Power Plan attributes to maximize cpu performance ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    list of hidden Power Plan attributes to maximize cpu performance ?: There are so many hidden power plan attributes aka hidden settings. There are so many it is hard to know, if there isn't more of hidden features. I don't know exactly, if they have any effect: if you set cpu state min. to 100% and disable idle saver - so cpu is utilized...
  9. Windows 10 sort files in folder for more attributes

Windows 10 sort files in folder for more attributes: I'd like to know if there is a feature in Windows 10 that allows the user to sort files using multiple attributes: I have folders full of photos taken with different cameras that show the date they were taken at different attributes; dates could be stored as - last Modified...
  10. Permissions and Attributes

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions and Attributes: Hello friends at TF, Lately I've been having trouble with apps not opening or being able to save files due to permissions and file attributes. If anyone can point me to the best way to set permissions and remove all the read-only attributes, I'd appreciate it. Craig 147865