Windows 10: How do I get Cortana to shut up?

Discus and support How do I get Cortana to shut up? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I occasionally use Cortana to quickly take me to a Windows setting, app, or whatever. In the past, when I clicked on it, I got a text box to type into.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BobHalverson, Jul 27, 2019.

1. How do I get Cortana to shut up?

I occasionally use Cortana to quickly take me to a Windows setting, app, or whatever. In the past, when I clicked on it, I got a text box to type into. I did a Windows update yesterday and now Cortana won't just find things by text like I want -- she wants to get to know me. When I click on the Cortana icon I get an audio message that says, "I can learn to understand you much better If I can get familiar with the way you talk. I need your permission to help." My choices are "Sure" or "Maybe later". No text box. Clicking "Maybe later" says she'll help with something else, but still no text box. I mistakenly tried "Sure" thinking it would lead me to some setup page where I could disable this, but now when I click Cortana she's listening for a command -- no text box and no way to undo this. Went into my Cortana settings and everything is turned off ("Hey Cortana", keyboard shortcut, etc). I think there's a way to totally disable Cortana, but I'd rather not do that -- she was helpful when I could text her. How do I get her back in text mode and stop her asking to get to know me every time I click on her?

:)

BobHalverson, Jul 27, 2019
  2. Dewdrop_ Win User

Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Jul 27, 2019
  3. Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to
    troubleshoot Cortana on the PC

Note: Do not go with the ‘Reset PC’ option for now.

Method 1: Follow these steps to disable Cortana:

1. Sign-in to the PC with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the search box at the bottom, type Disable Cortana.
    3. Once the suggestions appear in the list, click Cortana & Search settings.
    4. From the right section of the Settings pane, move the top button to ‘Off’ to disable Cortana from Windows 10.

Method 2: Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Launch Cortana from the search bar on the taskbar.
    2. Then, from the left pane click the settings button.
    3. Under "Cortana" (the first option) and slide the pill switch to the ‘Off’ position.

Method 3: Launch the Settings app and click on Privacy. Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing, and click Stop getting to know me. These steps will disable Cortana.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jul 27, 2019
  4. How do I get Cortana to shut up?

Cortana stopped showing my calendar events on cortana home

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jul 27, 2019
Thema:

How do I get Cortana to shut up?

1. How do I get Cortana to shut up? - Similar Threads - Cortana shut

2. Cortana can no longer sleep/shut down the computer 2021

in Cortana
    Cortana can no longer sleep/shut down the computer 2021: After the most recent Windows update, Cortana no longer logs off/shuts down my computer when I tell it to "go to sleep" or "turn off the computer". Instead, it searches for these terms on Bing. Did Cortana change in the update? I really liked the sleep/shutdown feature so I...
  3. Cortana won't stay signed in after I shut down my computer and restart it at a later time

in Cortana
    Cortana won't stay signed in after I shut down my computer and restart it at a later time: I have Windows 10 with the 2004 update. I can't stay signed into Cortana after I shut the computer down. Every time I start it up, I have to sign in again. Is there any way to fix this?...
  4. Cortana can't shut down my computer now

in Cortana
    Cortana can't shut down my computer now: cortana used to be able to put my computer too sleep or shut it down or restart it when i told her too, now since this newest update she says she cant do that. how do i restore this function? i need this function...
  5. Cortana won’t shut?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana won’t shut?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PixlPerfect01 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/il1u2e/cortana_wont_shut/
  6. How can I shut off Cortana completely

in Cortana
    How can I shut off Cortana completely: I don't want to use Cortana nor Edge. I shut them off but they must be running because when I clean my temporary files there are plenty of temporary files being produced. What if I used Regedit and deleted every file named Edge and Cortana....
  7. Cortana shuts off before I can get my question out.

in Cortana
    Cortana shuts off before I can get my question out.: So when I say hey Cortana she comes up but immediately shuts down before I can even ask a question. I'm not sure what to try to get her back to answering my questions....
  8. How do I shut off Cortana?

in Cortana
    How do I shut off Cortana?: I want to stop Cortana breaking into my work. I want to shut off the Cortana App. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-shut-off-cortana/af7a879b-935c-40e8-9ed9-c0dd49a423da
  9. Is Windows 10 dictation sleep timer related to Cortana? Can sleep timer be modified or shut...

in Cortana
    Is Windows 10 dictation sleep timer related to Cortana? Can sleep timer be modified or shut...: Hi Folks, I'm attempting to use Windows 10 dictation to compose long documents, but dictation goes to sleep after a few seconds of activity, resulting in a really jerky process. Like most writers, I compose a few sentences, then pause to decide what next to say and how to...
  10. Get Cortana to Shut Up and look only on the local computer

in Cortana
    Get Cortana to Shut Up and look only on the local computer: I do NOT want Cortana talking to me. I do NOT want Cortana to give me a web article about something I am searching for on my computer. I want Cortana to take my keyboard command and look ONLY on my computer for the results. You know, like Windows 7 used to do? I've...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off cortana

2. how do i shut off cortana voice

3. remove cortana windows 10

4. turn off cortana always,
  5. tunr off cortana,
  6. turn cortana voice off,
  7. cortana how to turn voice reply off,
  8. How do I turn off contana,
  9. how to shut up cortana,
  10. disable talk to cortana windows 10,
  11. turn off cortana pc,