Windows 10: How do I get Explorer to apply 'size all columns to fit' globally?

Discus and support How do I get Explorer to apply 'size all columns to fit' globally? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've just bought a new laptop with Windows 10. For all my subfolders within the Documents folder, I've set Explorer to display the information as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BruceUK, Dec 30, 2017.

1. BruceUK Win User

How do I get Explorer to apply 'size all columns to fit' globally?

I've just bought a new laptop with Windows 10.

For all my subfolders within the Documents folder, I've set Explorer to display the information as 'Details'. Is there any way of telling it to apply the 'size all columns to fit' option for every subfolder? I know how to do this for a particular subfolder but this would be an extremely tedious process if I do it individually for every subfolder. It seems to me there ought to be a way of doing this globally for any subfolders of a folder for which the 'Details' option has been set for displaying the information.

Hope someone can help!

:)

BruceUK, Dec 30, 2017

2. COLUMN RESIZING

Windows File Explorer:

I would like to see the lack of ability to apply "Size Columns to Fit" and "Size All Columns to Fit" to all of sub-folders of a folder addressed.

Thank You.

PatrickFultz, Dec 30, 2017
  3. DevinXM Win User
    How do I widen the columns in File Explorer search results?

While attempting to try the "Size all columns to fit" suggestion I discovered that the folder view setting has to be set to "Details" (In File Explorer click on the "View" tab and select "Details" in the Layout group) in order to make the column headings
    be visible. After doing that I was able to drag the columns to adjust their width as well as using Ctrl-+ to execute the "Size all columns to fit" command.

Why Microsoft decided to hide the column headings and disable the "Size all columns to fit" command in the other folder views is beyond me.

DevinXM, Dec 30, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Hello @BruceUK , welcome to tenforums! *Smile

You can't set 'Size All Columns to Fit' globally, so to speak.
    You are telling Explorer to apply that view, (size of columns), to all folders of that viewing type, when there might be other folders that have items with longer names.
    You need to choose a maximum size, that you think would be sufficient, by dragging the headers manually, then apply that to all folders of that viewing type.

Note:
    You can't apply this global attribute in Libraries. They may retain the chosen size, set at the 'parent folder' level.

Edwin, Dec 30, 2017
  5. BobSter2 Win User
    As I remember, there are about five "categories" of folders (=pictures, movies, documents, etc) and you can customise the layout of each one and set it as a default for all folders of that type.

This doesn't autofit the column width for each folder, but it allows you to set a preferred setting for column contents, order, _width_ etc and then apply that to every other folder of that 'type'.

To do this, go to a folder (such as "Music") then go:

View > Options > Tab "View" > Apply to folders

this should then apply those column widths etc to all folders that microsoft designates as "Music".

Repeat for "Documents", "Video", etc.

But it doesn't autofit the column widths - it's not exactly what you were asking for. If you want/need to set optimum column widths per _individual_ folder, you can speed it up with the following shortcut keystrokes:

alt; v ; z3; sf

---

I seem to remember Win XP remembering the exact setting for each and every folder.

It seems like "progress" has a different meaning in microsoft towers....

more:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...omize-a-folder

BobSter2, Dec 30, 2017
  6. Welcome to the forum *Smile

I went looking for the same thing a while back and found no 'perfect' solution, now I have put the Size all columns to fit icon on the Explorer Quick Access Toolbar which makes it just one click to resize

• View Tab Ribbon
    • Right click on Size all columns to fit
    • Select Add to Quick Access Toolbar

Tip: If you are going to be using Details view with Size all columns to fit it will be difficut to find empty space to right click on so I suggest you add any frequently used right click items (like New Folder) to the Quick Access Toolbar also but not Delete because it is too easy to make a mistake *Wink

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Dec 31, 2017
  7. BruceUK Win User
    Thanks very much for the replies.

I'll try adding an icon to the Quick Access Toolbar for it - that sounds worth doing anyway. It does seem that there is no complete solution to what I was asking, but these suggestions are all helpful.

BruceUK, Dec 31, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

@BruceUK

In the span of about 10 minutes, you could achieve what you want:

How do I get Explorer to apply 'size all columns to fit' globally? [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I get Explorer to apply 'size all columns to fit' globally? - Similar Threads - Explorer apply 'size

2. how to globally "size all columns to fit"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to globally "size all columns to fit": I am like super tired by manually doing "size all columns to fit" on my windows 11. It is extremely frustrating and also makes me super unproductive during my work. Is there any software or any way so that I can globally do "size all columns to fit" on my windows explorer....
  3. how to globally "size all columns to fit"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to globally "size all columns to fit": I am like super tired by manually doing "size all columns to fit" on my windows 11. It is extremely frustrating and also makes me super unproductive during my work. Is there any software or any way so that I can globally do "size all columns to fit" on my windows explorer....
  4. How do I remove File Type column in Windows Explorer **GLOBALLY**?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove File Type column in Windows Explorer **GLOBALLY**?: I have gone thru every way of hitting "Apply to all Folders" after carefully removing the Type column. It is utter, useless, wasted space. A relic of Mac marketing, when they used to make fun of Dos/Windows for having...gasp...file extensions!First thing I do on any machine....
  5. Defaulting "size all columns to fit" globally/permanently in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defaulting "size all columns to fit" globally/permanently in Windows 11?: Is there a way to permanently default "size all columns to fit" in Windows 11? I recognize that this question has been asked many times in many ways, but I have not seen a workable or any Microsoft response...
  6. Defaulting "size all columns to fit" globally/permanently in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defaulting "size all columns to fit" globally/permanently in Windows 11?: Is there a way to permanently default "size all columns to fit" in Windows 11? I recognize that this question has been asked many times in many ways, but I have not seen a workable or any Microsoft response...
  7. Undo clicking the "size all columns to fit"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Undo clicking the "size all columns to fit": I was recently in Windows Explorer organizing some files, and suddenly I clicked "size all columns to fit". I don't like this view because it makes the text look compact. The OCD side of me didn't want to drag the columns around because then they wouldn't match the rest of...
  8. Size Column to Fit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Size Column to Fit: I need to permanently size columns to fit content instead of having to select it every single time a folder is opened. Is there a solution yet? I cannot find an option to select "apply to all folders."...
  9. Auto-Define Column Width Dynamically in File Explorer: Size all columns to fit (as a...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto-Define Column Width Dynamically in File Explorer: Size all columns to fit (as a...: Size all columns to fit (as a default view). I thought the former question asked was a fairly straight-forward question, especially since I typed the request into Google almost verbatim so of course a) the question was, indeed, straightforward; b) from the fact that there...
  10. Size All Columns to Fit for Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Size All Columns to Fit for Folder in Windows 10: How to: Size All Columns to Fit for Folder in Windows 10 How to Size Width of All Columns to Fit for Folder in Windows 10 In Windows, you can change the layout view of the content of your folders to how you like. When you are using a details layout view for items in...