Windows 10: how do i get icon file to change to thumbnails

Discus and support how do i get icon file to change to thumbnails in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; how do i get icon file to change to thumbnails... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CarolynBetterton, Nov 22, 2020.

1. how do i get icon file to change to thumbnails

how do i get icon file to change to thumbnails

:)

CarolynBetterton, Nov 22, 2020

2. Windows 10 Picture Files not updating thumbnails

Hi,

I realize that the picture files are not updating thumbnails. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to perform “Disk Cleanup”, cleaning up the temporary internet files, thumbnail, cookies and temp files, so as to check the thumbnail view of the photo is updated by cleaning up your temporary data.

Further, if the issue persists then you can also follow these steps:

• Right click in the Folder that contains the images.

• Select View.

• Note the current icon size, and change it to another size (ie: "Medium-Icons" to "Large-Icons", then back to "Medium-Icons").

• This causes the icons to be resized and their cache updated.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Snook PoP Win User
    Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview

I use Google SketchUp a lot and each new model/file I create, SketchUp makes a .skb back up file of the last save. I was able to create a subkey in the registry to associate a different icon file for the .skb files but it does not change the icon if the folder view is set to medium, large, or extra large icons and gives a thumbnail preview of the file contents.

Examples of the same files in the same folder below.

how do i get icon file to change to thumbnails [​IMG]

how do i get icon file to change to thumbnails [​IMG]

Notice how in the thumbnail preview all the file type icons are red and in the detailed list view the .skb file icons are black and the regular .skp files are red, like I want them.

In this particular folder it does not matter, just an example. But when navigating through other folders that contain many image files as well as the .skb & .skp files it can be confusing to tell which is which and I don't want to edit the wrong one. The thumbnail preview can be very helpful so I am trying to avoid changing the folder views.

If anyone has an idea of how to change that icon in the thumbnail view it would save me a lot of time and confusion, thanks in advance.

Snook PoP, Nov 22, 2020
  4. Dgo47 Win User

File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

1. how do i get icon file to change to thumbnails - Similar Threads - icon file change

2. how do you change an icon to a thumbnail?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do you change an icon to a thumbnail?: I've unchecked "always show icon not thumbnail" & it didn't help. Need to be able to see thumbnail of photos. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-an-icon-to-a-thumbnail/30c6b98e-ee30-46d3-8cb0-ccafe7f836b2
  3. how do you change an icon to a thumbnail?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do you change an icon to a thumbnail?: I've unchecked "always show icon not thumbnail" & it didn't help. Need to be able to see thumbnail of photos. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-an-icon-to-a-thumbnail/30c6b98e-ee30-46d3-8cb0-ccafe7f836b2
  4. How do I change the icons in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the icons in File Explorer?: I'm trying to make my Windows 11 pc look like Windows 7 without having to downgrade, but I've been having trouble changing the icons of the main folders in File Explorer Desktop, Downloads, etc.How do I do this?...
  5. How do I change the icons in File Explorer?

How do I change the icons in File Explorer?: I'm trying to make my Windows 11 pc look like Windows 7 without having to downgrade, but I've been having trouble changing the icons of the main folders in File Explorer Desktop, Downloads, etc.How do I do this?...
  6. In file explore I can't get the photo icons to change to thumbnails for most of the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In file explore I can't get the photo icons to change to thumbnails for most of the...: In file explorer I can't get the photos in separate folders to change from icons to thumbnails. How can I do this safely? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-file-explore-i-cant-get-the-photo-icons-to/20628bdf-499f-4fd4-9d4d-9e7490991ec4
  7. In file explore I can't get the photo icons to change to thumbnails for most of the...

In file explore I can't get the photo icons to change to thumbnails for most of the...: In file explorer I can't get the photos in separate folders to change from icons to thumbnails. How can I do this safely? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-file-explore-i-cant-get-the-photo-icons-to/20628bdf-499f-4fd4-9d4d-9e7490991ec4
  8. In file explore I can't get the photo icons to change to thumbnails for most of the...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. How do I picture to be thumbnail and not icons?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I picture to be thumbnail and not icons?: How do I get pictures to show as thumbnails rather than icons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-picture-to-be-thumbnail-and-not-icons/6b649472-7839-4370-bfb0-d0b47a998e81"
  10. Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview: I use Google SketchUp a lot and each new model/file I create, SketchUp makes a .skb back up file of the last save. I was able to create a subkey in the registry to associate a different icon file for the .skb files but it does not change the icon if the folder view is set to...