Windows 10: How do I get Legacy Windows Group-policy-like I.E. Windows 7/8 family controls back?

Discus and support How do I get Legacy Windows Group-policy-like I.E. Windows 7/8 family controls back? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Windows 10 is clearly the result of out-of-touch executives all circling around a board table and spitballing about connectivity and foward-thinking... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by JesseIsARobot, Jun 30, 2020.

1. How do I get Legacy Windows Group-policy-like I.E. Windows 7/8 family controls back?

Windows 10 is clearly the result of out-of-touch executives all circling around a board table and spitballing about connectivity and foward-thinking without putting literally any thought into practicality, usability or how to make a service user-friendly.

The always-online model is designed by sadists. The internet infrastructure in America not only doesn't support this, but this adds a layer of patience required by the users to the formula since now you're always limited by the efficacy of your internet.

The fact that I am forced to use a Microsoft account means my Microsoft account is now bound to a computer that I don't personally use. This is a prospect that I don't necessarily enjoy. On top of this, the fact that now my 7-year-old son has to have an internet-based account with Microsoft isn't necessarily a prospect that I am comfortable with either.

Now, I'm having issues where I I do not use a cell phone for my e-mail have to walk back and forth between my son's and my system to approve of websites and despite literally over 10 attempts he still is unable to access the website I've approved as many times. This isn't something I can fix as it's clearly an issue with this cloud-based service. He is connected to the internet. His browser is requesting access. I am getting the e-mail. The access is showing as approved on the Microsoft family website.... He still isn't allowed access. There is nothing that I have control of in this situation and that disgusts me.

All of this is made worse by the fact that the family controls only work on this awful Microsoft Edge web browser. So now I'm forced to always be online or not even be able to change my son's computer time/application access/etc. use a web browser that lacks in functionality/security, have multiple points of privacy breached just to attempt to properly allow my child to use a computer without me literally standing over his shoulder - and it still doesn't function properly.

It is 2020. There is no excuse for this. There is literally no justification for this model. There is no money lost or liability risk from having offline parental controls being a feature in your operating system. Microsoft clearly doesn't care about user satisfaction. It's unfortunate that Microsoft has a monopoly or this would absolutely be the moment I'd transition all of my devices to another more user-oriented operating system. It's a shame that so many of my applications don't have Linux support or I'd be there long ago.

:)

JesseIsARobot, Jun 30, 2020

2. Windows 7 Lover's Club: For Those Who Like Windows 7 As Opposed To Windows 8

Description:
    • For anyone who likes Windows 7 as opposed to Windows 8 and wants to keep Windows 7 and not upgrade to Windows 8.
    • Also for anyone who does not hate Windows 8 but refuses to upgrade because Windows 7 is perfect.
    Requirements:
    • Be human. Male or female will suffice.
    • Love or Like Windows 7 much more than Windows 8.
    To Join:
    • Make a post.
    Benefits:
    • You will find true love one day.
    • You have have a chance to get rich one day.
    • You will have a chance for your dreams to come true one day.

vawrvawerawe, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Phusius Win User
    How do I get Windows 7 to install on a full 3 TB HDD?

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Giving this a shot now. I already try converting to GPT once already and it worked, but still only showed 2 TB, however, the steps listed your link Newteki have a few added steps I did not do. Also, I decided to go with Windows 8 Pro since Windows 7 was giving me so much trouble with this issue, yet it still gave me the same problems of only showing 2 TB then a separate 700ish GB drive.

Here goes nothing, thanks all, will be reporting back soon, hozzah!

Phusius, Jun 30, 2020
  4. PruGuy Win User

How do I get Legacy Windows Group-policy-like I.E. Windows 7/8 family controls back?

How to remove Windows 8 and install windows 7?

Uninstalling Windows 8 and reinstalling Windows 7

Microsoft locked users into Windows 8 once you have upgraded or did a clean install, since all Windows 8 hardware will be shipping with UEFI secure boot enabled by default. Furthermore, the Windows 8 operating system install will modify your BIOS to use UEFI by default. If you have a newer hardware system with newer UEFI bios support, you MUST change your BIOS setting to boot the Windows 7 system disk using Legacy BIOS settings. Failure to do this will result in the install locking up at the first screen. This is true even if you try to do the install of Windows 7 from Windows 8 by loading your Windows 7 system install disk and running SETUP. You will think all is well, until the system is ready to boot into Windows 7 for the first time. It then locks up again.

If you are an unfortunate one that loaded Windows 8 on a hardware with a legacy BIOS, there is no option to reset the BIOS from UEFI BIOS to Legacy. The only choice you have is to re-flash your BIOS, since the Windows 8 install has already updated it to UEFI to support their Secure Boot feature.

Re-flashing your BIOS back to it's previous version should allow you to do a clean boot of Windows 7, in most cases.

By the way, the above is true for Windows XP and VISTA (thank you very much, Microsoft!!)

GOOD LUCK! I'm told The Geek Squad charges $150.00 for this, and further advises ALL legacy hardware owners NOT to upgrade to Windows 8.

PruGuy, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

How do I get Legacy Windows Group-policy-like I.E. Windows 7/8 family controls back?

1. How do I get Legacy Windows Group-policy-like I.E. Windows 7/8 family controls back? - Similar Threads - Legacy Group policy

2. How do I get out of the family group?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get out of the family group?: Hello My problem is that I don't come from the family group because the account that manages the group no longer gives access, the password can also not be reset because the email no longer exists...
  3. How do I get out of the family group?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get out of the family group?: Hello My problem is that I don't come from the family group because the account that manages the group no longer gives access, the password can also not be reset because the email no longer exists...
  4. How Do I Get Full Control Back in Windows Security?

How Do I Get Full Control Back in Windows Security?: How do I get it back? My account has admin privileges and it says this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-full-control-back-in-windows-security/67aae976-4ff5-4f98-a84a-a4fb538dafe1
  5. some legacy windows apps like device manager, group policy and such dont retain their...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    some legacy windows apps like device manager, group policy and such dont retain their...: is this the unexpected behavior or a bug ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-legacy-windows-apps-like-device-manager-group/e2a22f1d-fd9b-421c-880b-a962515da16f
  6. some legacy windows apps like device manager, group policy and such dont retain their...

some legacy windows apps like device manager, group policy and such dont retain their...: is this the unexpected behavior or a bug ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-legacy-windows-apps-like-device-manager-group/e2a22f1d-fd9b-421c-880b-a962515da16f
  7. Edge Legacy removed. How do I get it back?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Legacy removed. How do I get it back?: Greetings, There is a problem with Microsoft Answers that doesn't allow you to ask a question in the Edge Legacy forum. The latest Windows Update has removed Edge Legacy. How do I get it back, especially my Favorites? How do I prevent Windows Update from removing other...
  8. How do I remove Windows 10 group policy?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I remove Windows 10 group policy?: I bought a "new" X1 carbon off ebay, and after setting up the laptop, I discovered that Windows updates are disabled because of group policy. I would like to remove this group policy. Is this possible? Will reinstalling Windows 10 fix it? submitted by /u/simmeh-chan...
  9. How do I enable Group Policy Editor.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I enable Group Policy Editor.: I have a window 10 laptop and am trying to download window group policy, I have searched everywhere online either am scare of virus or lose all my PC data....
  10. HOW DO I GET RID OF MDM AND GO BACK TO GROUP POLICY

HOW DO I GET RID OF MDM AND GO BACK TO GROUP POLICY: I DO NOT HAVE A MOVIL PHONE NOR DO I WANT ONE MY COMPUTER IS STAND ALONE!!!!"!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-mdm-and-go-back-to-group/408632f0-c477-44b7-b0da-8a7021bba1b1