Windows 10: How do I get lost files after drive changed its drive letter?

Discus and support How do I get lost files after drive changed its drive letter? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My old case broke in a recent move and had to install all my computer parts into a new shiny case. Once I installed all the new parts, i logged into my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by USAFACE, Apr 13, 2021.

1. USAFACE Win User

How do I get lost files after drive changed its drive letter?

My old case broke in a recent move and had to install all my computer parts into a new shiny case. Once I installed all the new parts, i logged into my computer to find that my X: drive was now the D: drive...not sure why my computer did this, but i lost a lot of games and photos that we're linked to the X: path. How can i get these back?

Disk Management won't allow me to change the drive letter back, getting the error, "Some programs rely on river letters might not run correctly. Do you want to continue?" Followed by the error, "The parameter is incorrect." How can I fix this issue?

:)

USAFACE, Apr 13, 2021

2. Cannot change drive letter

Hello,

I request you to try the steps below:

• Press "Windows" + "R" on the keyboard.
    • Type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter key.
    • Now right click on the drive and select Change drive letter or path.
    • Select the drive and click on Change.
    • Now select the drive letter and click on OK.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Apr 13, 2021
  3. changing drive letter

Hi Cathie,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

The drive letters change automatically and alphabetically depending on the number of drives available in the computer. For example, if you connect another USB or drive to the computer, it would be named as I. This must be the reason why the letter got changed
    to H.

To better assist you, do let us know if there is already a G drive in the file explorer.

If not, you do have the option to change the drive letter through disk management according to your preference. Follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type diskmgmt.msc and press enter to open disk management.

3. On the left hand side of the window, right click on the "H" drive and select "change drive letter and path".

4. Click "change" and assign the preferred drive letter from the drop down list.

5. Save the changes and restart the computer if necessary.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Apr 13, 2021
  4. How do I get lost files after drive changed its drive letter?

Windows 10 changing USB port drive letters

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    I would like to inform you that the issue might have occurred due to some changes made to your computer.

I suggest you to try changing the drive letter of the drive and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to change the drive letter:

• Press Windows + X keys and click on Disk Management.
    • Right click on the external drive and click on Change Drive letter and paths.
    • Click on Change the button.
    • Under Assign the following Drive letter, select the desired drive letter.
    • Click Ok to save changes.
    Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Apr 13, 2021
Thema:

How do I get lost files after drive changed its drive letter?

1. How do I get lost files after drive changed its drive letter? - Similar Threads - lost files drive

2. How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?: I have been trying to follow this:Drive A does not show up possibly because it's not accessible.I could not figure out how to bring up drive A. I could see only C & D.Thank you for your help,Tawn Daniel...
  3. How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?: I have been trying to follow this:Drive A does not show up possibly because it's not accessible.I could not figure out how to bring up drive A. I could see only C & D.Thank you for your help,Tawn Daniel...
  4. WMIC & DiskPart Drive Letter Missing How do I get a Drive Letter and Find Activity for this...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WMIC & DiskPart Drive Letter Missing How do I get a Drive Letter and Find Activity for this...: I ran this command and I would like to know all I can about the Volume with no DriveLetter. This will not show up in DiskPart as you can see.I could not get the command I copied and pasted below to be singled spaced. Thank you,vickyl71PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> GWMI -namespace...
  5. WMIC & DiskPart Drive Letter Missing How do I get a Drive Letter and Find Activity for this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WMIC & DiskPart Drive Letter Missing How do I get a Drive Letter and Find Activity for this...: I ran this command and I would like to know all I can about the Volume with no DriveLetter. This will not show up in DiskPart as you can see.I could not get the command I copied and pasted below to be singled spaced. Thank you,vickyl71PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> GWMI -namespace...
  6. WMIC & DiskPart Drive Letter Missing How do I get a Drive Letter and Find Activity for this...

7. How do I change the drive letter of the CD/ROM drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the drive letter of the CD/ROM drive?: I need to reassign the drive letter of the CD/ROM drive to avoid conflict with preassigned external drives that are used by various programs , backup procedures etc.It doesn't seem to show up in device manager, storage volumes etc...
  8. How do I change the drive letter of the CD/ROM drive?

How do I change the drive letter of the CD/ROM drive?: I need to reassign the drive letter of the CD/ROM drive to avoid conflict with preassigned external drives that are used by various programs , backup procedures etc.It doesn't seem to show up in device manager, storage volumes etc...
  9. Lost files after changing hard drive letter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost files after changing hard drive letter: I was backing up an old hard drive so I could format it and install windows 10, manually copying about 140gbs on the hard drive to another drive. When I plugged in my old drive, my current one changed from E: to H:, probably because I also unplugged and plugged it back in....
  10. How to change drive letter of mirror drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change drive letter of mirror drive: I have just set up a mirror drive(software RAID1) and want to change the drive letter. I am getting a message "The parameter is incorrect". I am wondering if I am stuck with the one assigned when the mirror drive was set up. 27607

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after changing disk letter lost files