Windows 10: How do I get my computer to require a password?

Discus and support How do I get my computer to require a password? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm probably going to sound really tilted because I just spent an hour trying to do the most basic possible security precaution but still don't have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Alestor, Apr 24, 2022.

1. How do I get my computer to require a password?

I'm probably going to sound really tilted because I just spent an hour trying to do the most basic possible security precaution but still don't have an answer so forgive me.

No matter where I look I cannot figure out how to make my computer not go straight to desktop when I turn it on. My house is in the process of being sold and we have people coming for viewings, so as the very least precaution against people having physical access to my computer I wanted to make it password locked but apparently that's not just a fucking setting in account management. No, I can make it require a PIN if waking from sleep, but whats the fucking point if you can just hit restart and have full access to the desktop? Jesus Christ man this should be as simple as a checkbox at the top of sign in options (which looks like this by the way, and no Windows Hello does fuck all after a restart.)

I have my windows account linked to my microsoft account but the security settings for that don't do shit for my local machine and every video I see seems to have buttons in settings that literally don't exist for me. I'm about ready to call a support line and scream at them for not making this easy, it's not like I'm tech illiterate here but the fucking option doesn't seem to be there and the fact that its not literally a simple checkbox is offensive to me.

submitted by /u/Alestor
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Alestor, Apr 24, 2022

2. Enable Require password on Wake up Windows 10

To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest disabling and
    enabling
    the Require a password on wakeup settings on your power plan
    by following the steps below:

• Open the Advanced power settings for your current chosen
      power plan
    • Click on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link.
    • Set the Require a password on wakeup settings to Yes
      or No, and click on OK.

Once done with the steps, let us know how it goes.

Jefferson Ore, Apr 24, 2022
  3. No Password required After Computer falls asleep

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10. Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

Since the security features are enhanced on Windows, this happens when the password is disabled on the computer to ensure there is no protection for your user account, however you may enable the password and check if that
    helps you.

Here are steps to disable the password after waking from sleep.

1. Click Start.

2. Click Control Panel.

3. Click Power Options.

4. Click on “Require Password on Wakeup” on the left pane.

5. Click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable”.

5. Select the first option “Require a password.”

Note: when your computer wakes from sleep, no one can access the data because the computer is locked.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Apr 24, 2022
  4. TCanuck42 Win User

How do I get my computer to require a password?

Building A Computer. Experts Help Please.

THanks for your suggestions. Just exactly how do you actually overclock the cpu. what steps are required?

TCanuck42, Apr 24, 2022
Thema:

How do I get my computer to require a password?

1. How do I get my computer to require a password? - Similar Threads - computer require password

2. How can I get rid of Password requirement?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get rid of Password requirement?: After installing the last Windows 11 update KB5023706, my computer now requires a password for me to sign on. Months ago I had successfully disabled the password so my computer did not ask for it when I started it. But now it is asking me for my password.When my computer...
  3. How can I get rid of Password requirement?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I get rid of Password requirement?: After installing the last Windows 11 update KB5023706, my computer now requires a password for me to sign on. Months ago I had successfully disabled the password so my computer did not ask for it when I started it. But now it is asking me for my password.When my computer...
  4. How do I reset or get rid of my computer passwords?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I reset or get rid of my computer passwords?: I have been locked out of my computer. I have not changed my password since i set it and now im being told its wrong. How the hell am i supposee to fix this when i cant get a rep on the phone....
  5. How do I reset or get rid of my computer passwords?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reset or get rid of my computer passwords?: I have been locked out of my computer. I have not changed my password since i set it and now im being told its wrong. How the hell am i supposee to fix this when i cant get a rep on the phone....
  6. How do I remove password complexity requirement?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I remove password complexity requirement?: Hi guys i've been trying for a pretty long time to remove password complexity requirements on my local account and i found this website: https://www.infopackets.com/node/10729 I'm using windows 10 home, ver 10.0.18363 the difference between the website's instructions and...
  7. How do I disable safe mode on my computer if I have forgotten the password required for...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I disable safe mode on my computer if I have forgotten the password required for...: My computer was put into safe mode and I am unsure how to disable it. I have forgotten the password as I have always used a pin to log into the computer. I am unable to use a windows account password as rebooting safe mode with networking doesn't connect to the internet. How...
  8. What path do I take on my Windows 10 computer to get to the option "Require a password on...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    What path do I take on my Windows 10 computer to get to the option "Require a password on...: Every time I walk away from my computer for even 5 DANN MINUTES, I have to log in. This happens EVERY TIME I walk away from my computer (I run on Windoze 10 on my HP laptop), and I'm SICK OF DOING THIS EVERY 5 MINUTES. I should only have to log in ONCE, and THAT'S IT until I...
  9. how do I remove my password to get access to my computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do I remove my password to get access to my computer: how do I remove my password to get access to my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-my-password-to-get-access-to-my/a6bceab8-9204-4f75-937f-60bc06f4c3af"
  10. How do I remove the Password and PIN requirement?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I remove the Password and PIN requirement?: I asked this once before and was given " NETPLWIZ " to remove the password and life was good. Then my IT guy installed the requirement for the PIN. How do we remove them again?...