Windows 10: How do I get my thumbnail pictures to appear from a storage device instead of just text...

Discus and support How do I get my thumbnail pictures to appear from a storage device instead of just text... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After a recent update, a huge update from Microsoft I may add, changes happened in the pictures program, I could no longer get to see thumbnail... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by denniscowan1, Mar 1, 2020.

1. How do I get my thumbnail pictures to appear from a storage device instead of just text...

After a recent update, a huge update from Microsoft I may add, changes happened in the pictures program, I could no longer get to see thumbnail pictures in the folders from my external storage device, only titles.....Before the update I could access them automatically from the pc and and external...now it only shows the thumbnail pictures in document folders, but not from the external storage which makes things very difficult and long. What Microsoft did I don't know, especially as these updates are supposed to make things better for the user.....but I can't find any way to change things other than load every folder I want to see from the external device to documents.....so if any techie out there can tell me a way, and walk me through it, I'd be very pleased. It's Windows 10

:)

denniscowan1, Mar 1, 2020

2. Photo thumbnail picture

If you do the suggestion by Cyberdesigner and they still show as icons, check your performance settings and make sure "show thumbnails instead of icons" is checked.

Right click Start, select System -> Advanced system settings -> Advanced tab -> Performance - Settings

How do I get my thumbnail pictures to appear from a storage device instead of just text... [​IMG]

How do I get my thumbnail pictures to appear from a storage device instead of just text... [​IMG]

fracking4oil, Mar 1, 2020
  3. Windows 10 showing device icons instead of thumbnails in folders

Thanks for the feedback. In that case, let's look into the appearance and performance settings of your computer. Please follow the steps below:

• In the Cortana search bar, type in Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows, then click it in the search results to open the
      Performance Options window.
    • In the Virtual Effects tab, ensure that the Show thumbnails instead of icons option is checked.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

If the folders still show the device icon, then please go back to the
    Performance Options
    window, tick Adjust for best appearance option, then click
    Apply > OK. Check if the folders are showing thumbnails. If it's still the same, then go back to the
    Performance Options window and tick Let Windows choose what's best for my computer.

Update us with the result.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 1, 2020
  4. How do I get my thumbnail pictures to appear from a storage device instead of just text...

Windows 10 Picture Files not updating thumbnails

Hi,

I realize that the picture files are not updating thumbnails. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to perform “Disk Cleanup”, cleaning up the temporary internet files, thumbnail, cookies and temp files, so as to check the thumbnail view of the photo is updated by cleaning up your temporary data.

Further, if the issue persists then you can also follow these steps:

• Right click in the Folder that contains the images.

• Select View.

• Note the current icon size, and change it to another size (ie: "Medium-Icons" to "Large-Icons", then back to "Medium-Icons").

• This causes the icons to be resized and their cache updated.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

How do I get my thumbnail pictures to appear from a storage device instead of just text...

1. How do I get my thumbnail pictures to appear from a storage device instead of just text... - Similar Threads - thumbnail pictures appear

2. How do I get rid of that stupid thumbnail that appears when I drag a file? It just gets in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get rid of that stupid thumbnail that appears when I drag a file? It just gets in...: see title https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-that-stupid-thumbnail-that/8bff9db0-a450-43c2-b0f6-aeceb868c507
  3. How do I get rid of that stupid thumbnail that appears when I drag a file? It just gets in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get rid of that stupid thumbnail that appears when I drag a file? It just gets in...: see title https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-that-stupid-thumbnail-that/8bff9db0-a450-43c2-b0f6-aeceb868c507
  4. How do i get my pictures to display instead of the photo icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i get my pictures to display instead of the photo icon: I am having trouble seeing my pictures on my computer. all i see is the photo icon. not the picture itself, I don't know when this started but it has been plaguing me for quite a while. Can anyone help me as i am getting frustrated in fixing this problem. I want to see my...
  5. How do i get my pictures to display instead of the photo icon

How do i get my pictures to display instead of the photo icon: I am having trouble seeing my pictures on my computer. all i see is the photo icon. not the picture itself, I don't know when this started but it has been plaguing me for quite a while. Can anyone help me as i am getting frustrated in fixing this problem. I want to see my...
  6. how do I get my pictures to show up instead of icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I get my pictures to show up instead of icons?: My pictures are showing up as blue icons, how do I get them to show as pictures? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-my-pictures-to-show-up-instead-of/07966bbf-0630-401b-8c71-f9ebf087913f
  7. how do I get my pictures to show up instead of icons?

how do I get my pictures to show up instead of icons?: My pictures are showing up as blue icons, how do I get them to show as pictures? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-my-pictures-to-show-up-instead-of/07966bbf-0630-401b-8c71-f9ebf087913f
  8. Picture ICONS instead of thumbnail pics

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Picture ICONS instead of thumbnail pics: Suddenly all of my picture thumbnails are ICONS, instead of thumbnail pics. I have gone through the steps of Unchecking a box that says "always show ICONS instead of thumbnails" and that did NOT help. I don't like Microsoft Edge or the Cloud, I think those are the culprits...
  9. Can't get no satisfaction, or answer, to why thumbnail pictures will not appear from the...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't get no satisfaction, or answer, to why thumbnail pictures will not appear from the...: I am getting fairly stressed with this, and although a 'microsoft techie' answered my problem, none of what he suggested worked...I did the 'Disk clean up' I did the 'Command Prompt'...that said it didn't recognise what he told me to put in.....nor did it respond to 'restore...
  10. How do I picture to be thumbnail and not icons?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I picture to be thumbnail and not icons?: How do I get pictures to show as thumbnails rather than icons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-picture-to-be-thumbnail-and-not-icons/6b649472-7839-4370-bfb0-d0b47a998e81"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change thumbnails to icons in photos