Windows 10: How do I get network sharing to work between two Windows 10 v1909 PCs!!!

Discus and support How do I get network sharing to work between two Windows 10 v1909 PCs!!! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Previously had no problems but since buying new W10 pc total failure!! Ive looked for answers both here and elsewhere and nothing worked so far. Any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IanRennie1, Apr 10, 2020.

1. How do I get network sharing to work between two Windows 10 v1909 PCs!!!

Previously had no problems but since buying new W10 pc total failure!! Ive looked for answers both here and elsewhere and nothing worked so far.

Any of you geniuses out there got any suggestions? !'ve shared files though Advanced Sharing, switched Network Discovery to on etc but still no success.

Thanks

:)

IanRennie1, Apr 10, 2020

2. Shared folders don't work with Windows 10

I avoided Windows 10 for very long out of obvious reasons, but now I had to change because my hardware isn't supported anymore. I run two PCs, one serves as a NAS. Both have the same Windows 10 1809 version installed. Before I had 8.1, which always worked flawlessly, beside of not having Ryzen chipset drivers. Hardware:

• PC 1: B350 chipset, Ryzen 1700, Realtek GbE LAN
    • PC 2: X470 chipset, Ryzen 2700X, Intel GbE LAN
    • Router: Telekom Speedport Hybrid

How do I get network sharing to work between two Windows 10 v1909 PCs!!! [​IMG]

How do I get network sharing to work between two Windows 10 v1909 PCs!!! [​IMG]

This happens now. All the background services are activated, the PCs can see each other but not access. Windows 10 seems to be a real step back.

Is there a solution to get home network groups working again, maybe through a third party solution or hack?

DivineLight, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Kursah Win User
    How to limit Windows Sharing to one PC on a network?

Unfortunately, without having a domain and DC using AD DS or similar, I don't believe you can do the shares how you see them on a home-grade network without simply using accounts and account authorization. You need to treat and view these local accounts as a workstation ID instead of an account logged into your computer like you are now. In that respect, this would make limited access quite easy. Give the user of that computer the ID and password to access your PC on the network and they'll have access to specific shares. You'll be a mini-network admin in no time! *Big Grin How do I get network sharing to work between two Windows 10 v1909 PCs!!! :D

You can have access credentials saved on the PC accessing shares, reducing the need to login every time to access the share.

Another option would be to modify the share in Computer Management. Shared Folders > Shares.

Add a $ at the end of the share name to make it invisible, so you must know the location to access it. You will see examples of this as there are some default shares within Windows already setup this way.

With that you may still want to do as suggested above by newtekie1 with permissions and/or with local accounts to restrict access still so you can assign whom has access to that share.

Beyond that I don't believe there is a way to restrict via PC ID's, because each PC is its own identity, and none are registered to a central server like a domain controller, so using the PC name/ID as a network resource on your home network in the method you want isn't realistic. But if you can manage to accept and view extra created accounts (create them in Computer management too btw...then you have one window for creating and managing accounts and shares) as a PC ID, you'll be fine me thinks.

Kursah, Apr 10, 2020
  4. How do I get network sharing to work between two Windows 10 v1909 PCs!!!

Network Sharing

Hi Arya,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you trying to share the wireless network connection from Windows device to phone?
    2. What is the make and model of the phone?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?
    Refer the article ‘Which version of Windows operating system am I running
    to provide the details.

If you’re referring to sharing the Wireless network connection in Windows 10, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Press Windows + I key on your keyboard and click on Network & Internet.
    2. On the network & Internet page, click on ‘Mobile hotspot’.
    3. Turn On’ Share my Internet connection with other devices under Mobile hotspot.
    4. The default network name and password will be available under Mobile hotspot.
    5. Enter the same password on the device which you’re trying to connect and check the status of the issue.

If you’re trying to share the internet connection, then refer the article
    Use your PC as a mobile hotspot
    for more information.

If you’re referring to ‘File sharing’, I suggest you to refer the section ‘How do I troubleshoot sharing and folders’ from the article ‘File
    sharing over a network in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

How do I get network sharing to work between two Windows 10 v1909 PCs!!!

1. How do I get network sharing to work between two Windows 10 v1909 PCs!!! - Similar Threads - network sharing between

2. Network sharing between two laptops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network sharing between two laptops: I'm trying to connect access two laptops Windows 11 and Windows 10 together under the same network but keep getting the Network Credentials prompt. I've tried entering the correct user/password to no avail? All permissions in Network Sharing are correct. Any suggestions?...
  3. Network sharing between two laptops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network sharing between two laptops: I'm trying to connect access two laptops Windows 11 and Windows 10 together under the same network but keep getting the Network Credentials prompt. I've tried entering the correct user/password to no avail? All permissions in Network Sharing are correct. Any suggestions?...
  4. Not all files are appearing in a folder shared between two PCs in our network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not all files are appearing in a folder shared between two PCs in our network: We have a couple of employees that use a shared folder on our network. One of them had recently added a couple of files to one of the folders within that "main" folder, but when they went to that folder at a later time those 4 files weren't appearing anymore in File Explorer....
  5. Folder sharing between two pcs on same network

Folder sharing between two pcs on same network: Hi, This may be a stupid question to ask my apologise if so. I know how to share one folder between two computers what I do not know if there is a way to share more than one folder to the same mapped drive? For example share Documents and Pictures in the same mapped drive...
  6. Trying to share files between two PCs

Trying to share files between two PCs: I have two PCs running the latest Windows 10 software connected to the same network. I really need to be able to have the computers see each other so I can share files between the two. However, that doesn't seem to be the case and I always seem to have problems. For the sake...
  7. Sharing folders between three windows 10 PCs - not working

Sharing folders between three windows 10 PCs - not working: Hi, I'm not normally a pessimist but trying to share folders between the PCs is failing completely. Sometimes there is a connection sometimes there isn't. Sometimes folders show up on other computers sometimes they don't. One day it works the next it doesn't. I've been...
  8. How do I get rid of two "phantom" network shares?

How do I get rid of two "phantom" network shares?: Tricky one for me, hope you can help. I created three network shares all pointing to the USB HDD "NAS" coming off my router. Only ONE is actually mapped but all three are accessible via drilling down under Network. I want to delete two of them, except the actual mapped drive...
  9. How do I get rid of two "phantom" network shares?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I get rid of two "phantom" network shares?: Tricky one for me, hope you can help. I created three network shares all pointing to the USB HDD coming off my router. Only ONE is actually mapped but all three are accessible via drilling down under Network. I want to delete two of them, except the actual mapped drive with...
  10. How do I share everything between two laptops?

How do I share everything between two laptops?: I have two laptops both running Windows 10 and I need to be able to access ALL data from either one via WiFi. One laptop is my main one that I use everyday in my house. The other laptop I need to use is in my workshop, however, I need to be able to access all...