Windows 10: How do I get programs to use virtual memory

Discus and support How do I get programs to use virtual memory in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 home with 8GB of RAM, but it's clear that 8GB isn't enough for Windows. When no programs (besides task manager) are open, my PC is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/IveMalfunctioned, Nov 17, 2020.

1. How do I get programs to use virtual memory

I'm using Windows 10 home with 8GB of RAM, but it's clear that 8GB isn't enough for Windows. When no programs (besides task manager) are open, my PC is constantly using 30-40% of my ram which is ridiculous... I am constantly at a high RAM usage and I can barely have anything open before my PC starts getting lag spikes. (This still happens even after installing virtual memory) So I thought installing virtual memory would help, I have a 60GB SSD, 500GB HDD, and 1TB HDD, I installed the recommended amount of virtual memory for all of my drives, and there's always at least 6GB of virtual memory available but it doesn't seem to help. More RAM would make my PC much more usable, yet it seems none of the programs even acknowledge the virtual memory. Any response is appreciated.

submitted by /u/IveMalfunctioned
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/IveMalfunctioned, Nov 17, 2020

2. Error: Low Virtual Memory on Windows 10, How much virtual memory should I program?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with memory on your laptop, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• When exactly you are getting this error code?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue?

I would suggest you to try the following steps to change virtual Memory on your computer and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key, type This PC and select it.
    • Right click on This PC and click on Properties.
    • In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click
      Settings.
    • Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click
      Change.
    • Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.
    • Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
    • Click Custom size, type a new size in
      megabytes
      in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size
      (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK. (Size depends up on the available storage space)
    Note: Increases in size usually don't require a restart for the changes to take effect, but if you decrease the size, you'll need to restart your computer. We recommend that you don't disable or delete the paging file.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 17, 2020
  3. Your computer is low in memory. To prevent...

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

I suggest you to change the size of virtual memory and check if it helps.

To change the size of virtual memory follow the steps below:

• Right click on This PC.
    • Go to Advance System Settings.
    • On the Advanced tab, under
      Performance
      , click Settings.
    • Click the Advanced tab, and then, under
      Virtual memory, click Change.
    • Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.
    • Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
    • Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the
      Initial size (MB) or Maximum
      size (MB) box.
    • Click Set and then click OK.
    I would also suggest you to check if a program overuses memory

If the computer becomes low on memory whenever you run certain programs, one or more of those programs might have a memory leak. To stop a memory leak, you need to close the program. To repair a memory leak, you need to check for updates for
    the program or contact the publisher of the software.

To determine which program is using the most memory, follow these steps:

• Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete key to open Task Manager.
    • Click the Processes tab.
    • To sort programs by memory usage, click
      Memory.
    Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Niranjan Manjhi, Nov 17, 2020
  4. KTR
    ktr Win User

How do I get programs to use virtual memory

Thema:

How do I get programs to use virtual memory

1. How do I get programs to use virtual memory - Similar Threads - programs virtual memory

2. How do I make use of the usable memory?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I make use of the usable memory?: Hello, I'm having trouble of running just a few programs and my memory is already out, google chrome already takes a big chunk of it. What about the other software I need, like film editors etc.I would like to figure out how to expand the usable memory. I'm using a lenovo...
  3. Virtual memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual memory: Hello all hope every one is having a good Day/Night I have a Asus IntelR CoreTM i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz with 24 gig of ram With a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 TiI Play Games mostly on my pc like The Witcher series, Fallout series, Borderlands Series & Red Dead Redemption 2 ....
  4. Virtual Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Virtual Memory: I have a SSD 128gb and 1TB HDD.Should i set more VM on HDD does it make the pc run better or should i check the AUTOMATICALLY MANAGE PAGING FILE FOR ALL DRIVES Currently, i set Virtual memory like this :...
  5. how do i change virtual memory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i change virtual memory: i need to know because im planning to delete page file .sys for... reasons dont ask just tell me please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-virtual-memory/719f5cdd-33f5-4988-931c-7a67ebcf37c4
  6. Virtual memory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual memory: Hi guys, I'm trying to clear up some space on my SSD to install some games and I've noticed that my virtual memory is taking up 244GB !! I feel like this is highly irregular as all I can find online is about upping the virtual memory size. I'd like to reduce this, but I'm not...
  7. Out of Memory - Programs using Virtual Memory but not that much on RAM...

Out of Memory - Programs using Virtual Memory but not that much on RAM...: Recently (less than two weeks ago - suspiciously after the update to Windows 2004), my 16gb Windows 10 machine is throwing "Out of Memory" errors, specially in games - even if they are something like a 2D platformer: after a while I get the events 2004 and 26 (both regarding...
  8. How do I stop programs running in the background and using my memory?

How do I stop programs running in the background and using my memory?: So I had a trial of avast cleanup and it had the option to put programs that ran in the background to 'sleep' preventing them from using my ram when I wasn't using them I have a surface pro 3 , running windows 10 pro, and it is purely for photoshop it's got 4gb ram and an...
  9. How to get Rid of Increased Virtual Memory

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to get Rid of Increased Virtual Memory: [img] Yesterday its showing 2.7gb Virtual memory but today it increased to this much. How to get back 2.7 gb Virtual Memory to save space on my 120gb WD Green SSD. 148201
  10. How do i clear my virtual memory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i clear my virtual memory: Hello, I am trying to clear some storage on my laptop so that I could update it. And I was just wondering if its possible to clear the virtual memory... Windows says I only need 2.28 more gigs of storage. [ATTACH] does anyone know how to clear the virtual memory on my...