Windows 10: How do I get the Photos app to 1 stop requesting names for certain faces and 2 correct...

Discus and support How do I get the Photos app to 1 stop requesting names for certain faces and 2 correct... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have several photos of large groups of people. Many of the individuals are being recognized and are waiting for a name on the People tab of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LindseyAtAdvikit, Feb 12, 2020.

1. How do I get the Photos app to 1 stop requesting names for certain faces and 2 correct...

I have several photos of large groups of people. Many of the individuals are being recognized and are waiting for a name on the People tab of the Photos app. I don't have their names and I don't care to identify them. How can I have Photos ignore their faces? I don't want to remove Photos access to the images as a workaround.

Photos is, ha ha, lumping all the babies in my images under one person awaiting a name on the People tab. How can I split up these babies and tag them individually? I see no options at all for being able to click on a photo and tag a person - only the Photo app seems to be able to identify/tag individuals.

:)

LindseyAtAdvikit, Feb 12, 2020

2. Photos app face recognition and naming people detected

Hi Patricia,

thanks a lot for your reply. I am very happy that finally someone from Microsoft gives attention to the problem. Here the data about my computers:

PC1:

Windows 10 1709.16299.309 Home 64 Bit

HP Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx, Core i7-7700HQ, 2.80 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Photos App 2018.18021.12420.0

PC2:

Windows 10 1709.16299.309 Home 64 Bit

Lenovo Miix 320 10ICR 2in1 Tablet, Atom x5-Z8350, 1.44 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Photos App 2018.18021.12420.0

PC3

Windows 10 1709 Pro 64 Bit

Desktop, Core 2 6600, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Photos App 2017.39101.16270.0 (until yesterday), 2018.18021.12420.0 since today.

Corrective Information regarding my post from March 19: With PC3 naming is neither possible as administrator nor as standard user 1.

According to your suggestion, for standard user 1 of PC1, I did a reset of the Photos app. But this was not a good idea:

• It did not help. Before and after the reset, naming and merging of people was not possible. As can be seen in the attached screenshot, there is no field for names below each thumbnail.
    • Since the reset, a lot of pictures with faces are not recognized any more. Before the reset, the app had found 999 photos of my elder son and about 700 photos of my younger son. Now, after the reset, the app has found only 378 photos of the elder and 310
      photos of the younger son. (The folders I have listed in the app's settings are the same, so the app should have access to the same photos as it had before the reset).

How do I get the Photos app to 1 stop requesting names for certain faces and 2 correct... eb04677d-429d-4b53-a3d3-a3ff7a8e7929?upload=true.jpg

Hans-Martin S, Feb 12, 2020
  3. Ank59 Win User
    Windows 10 Photos app face recognition problems

Hello,

I already posted my problem on the official Windows forums in April this year but MS staff are apparently not very keen on solving issues and helping their paying customers. They sent one standard response and did not respond further. Box ticked, next, I guess..

Hopefully someone on this forum has any suggestions. Since I posted the below, I have done more reinstalls of the Photo app, did a reset of the 'people' app, renamed the photo folder and had the photos app rescan it, and had the computer on for days without even looking at it, but the problem persists..

Original message:

I recently switched to Windows 10. Clean install on a formatted disk. Everything is working perfectly but the photos app:

I pointed the photos app at my photo directory with approximately 20-30K pictures. All of these have been indexed and are visible in the 'collection' tab and the app created all kinds of albums. The face recognition functionality however is problematic as the app only detects 21 faces (interestingly almost the same group each time I tried) while there must be hundreds and it for example detects only 200 and 50 photos respectively from my kids while there should be thousands for each of them.

I tried all kinds of fixes for other issues people are having with the photos app, including:

- stop, restore and reset from the settings - apps - photos menu.

- completely removing the app with the powershell command and reinstalling a fresh copy from the windows app store.

- deleting the MediaDb.v1.sqlite file from the C:\Users\X\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder and restart the app in order to have it rebuild the index / dbase and completely deleting the content of this folder.

Since the last reinstall my computer has been running non-stop (with energy saving for the hdds switched off in case this would make a difference) for almost three days but the number of faces for a limited amount of persons is the same as after the initial couple of hours and the MediaDb.v1.sqlite file seems to no longer increase in size, so I get the impression that the face recognition process is simply stuck. Initially this happened when it reached appr 20 faces and at that stage the MediaDb.v1.sqlite file is approximately 400MB. My latest two attempt led to only 4 faces with 163, 23, 8 and 2 photos respectively and again a MediaDb.v1.sqlite of almost 400MB.

Many thanks

Ank59, Feb 12, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

How do I get the Photos app to 1 stop requesting names for certain faces and 2 correct...

Microsoft Photos app not recognizing faces in photos

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the face recognition in Microsoft Photos app is not working properly after resetting the app. We will look into this for you. However, in order to get a better clarity on the issue, please reply with the following details:

• Which version of Photos app is installed on the computer?
    • Which version of Windows is installed on the computer?

The Photos app recognizes the faces from the contacts saved in the People app. If the Photos app is unable to recognize the faces in the photos then, I suggest you to try resetting the People app and see if that helps in resolving the issue:

1. Press and hold Windows key + I, to open
      Settings.
    2. Click on Apps.
    3. Click on Apps & features.
    4. Scroll down and look for
      People
      app, click on it and click on Advanced options.
    5. Click on Reset to reset the application.
    Note: Resetting the app will reset it to default settings. You will have to re-add the account to People app after resetting it.

If resetting the app didn’t fix the issue, I suggest you to manually add the contacts in People app whose face is not getting detected in the Photos app. You can refer the section
    Add contacts from the article
    People app help

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 12, 2020
Thema:

How do I get the Photos app to 1 stop requesting names for certain faces and 2 correct...

1. How do I get the Photos app to 1 stop requesting names for certain faces and 2 correct... - Similar Threads - Photos app stop

2. How do I get rid of an app named "Ginger"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get rid of an app named "Ginger": Ginger is a grammar checker. I paid for it, used it briefly, and then canceled it. It hides somewhere inside Windows and pops up to annoy me. How can I scan my computer to get rid of it. It reminds me of the old AOL trick where you cancel AOL but it lingers on. I called...
  3. How do I get rid of an app named "Ginger"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get rid of an app named "Ginger": Ginger is a grammar checker. I paid for it, used it briefly, and then canceled it. It hides somewhere inside Windows and pops up to annoy me. How can I scan my computer to get rid of it. It reminds me of the old AOL trick where you cancel AOL but it lingers on. I called...
  4. How do I get the Photos app to stop overriding Photos Legacy?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get the Photos app to stop overriding Photos Legacy?: I'm using Win10. A few days ago I opened my Photos app now called Photos Legacy, to find that the new app had taken over what I had, with not warning. I dislike the new app intensely -- way too complicated for editing photos from a phone. I can't even sharpen an image. So I...
  5. How do I get the Photos app to stop overriding Photos Legacy?

How do I get the Photos app to stop overriding Photos Legacy?: I'm using Win10. A few days ago I opened my Photos app now called Photos Legacy, to find that the new app had taken over what I had, with not warning. I dislike the new app intensely -- way too complicated for editing photos from a phone. I can't even sharpen an image. So I...
  6. How to Correct Windows Photo's App?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Correct Windows Photo's App?: In Windows 10 My photo app has changed. I do not know how this changed but it was in the last couple of days. I was able to click on the right side and get the time, date and the screenshot number were I could add info about a picture or screenshot. This is not happening an...
  7. How to Correct Windows Photo's App?

How to Correct Windows Photo's App?: In Windows 10 My photo app has changed. I do not know how this changed but it was in the last couple of days. I was able to click on the right side and get the time, date and the screenshot number were I could add info about a picture or screenshot. This is not happening an...
  8. how do i stop a client request loop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do i stop a client request loop: how do i stop a client request loop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-a-client-request-loop/f63f9016-13a1-4ba5-b466-11141d42f9c9
  9. How do I stop a certain programme closing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I stop a certain programme closing?: I know this question has been asked many times, but this is slightly different. At my work we run a machine using windows 10. The power to the factory cut out and now everytime we use this programme it closes itself. Any ideas on why this could be?...
  10. Microsoft Photos App stopped working after latest 1/2/19 update.

Microsoft Photos App stopped working after latest 1/2/19 update.: I am very frustrated with Windows 10 at this time. The Microsoft Photos App has stopped working after the latest so called "critical" update from Microsoft. I have tried ever fix I have found on this forum. I have tried recovery. I have tried to reset the App. I have...