Windows 10: How do I get this JAR file to open?

Discus and support How do I get this JAR file to open? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a JAR file - a small software design app I have used for years - that will not open. It has become associated with Internet Explorer [ATTACH]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Vagulus, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Vagulus Win User

How do I get this JAR file to open?

I have a JAR file - a small software design app I have used for years - that will not open. It has become associated with Internet Explorer

How do I get this JAR file to open? 69386eed-6df3-4a2d-bc76-bbc0b92d5e67?upload=true.png

so when I try to run it I only get

How do I get this JAR file to open? e2c552dd-b4d4-432a-83cf-b213431035ee?upload=true.png

Even if I copy the JAR file right next to JAVA.EXE I get the same result.

How do I unhitch this file from IE and have it executing normally using Java?

Thanks

:)

Vagulus, Nov 17, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

jar files

Fixing .jar file opening on Windows requires two steps:

• Open the Control Panel, and chose "Default Programs - Associate a File type or protocol with a program". Find .jar extension (Executable JAR file) there, and pick Java as default program to open this extension. It will probably be listed as "Java Platform(SE)".
      A faster alternative perhaps is straightforward right-click on a .jar file, and then change associated program by clicking on the "Change..." button.
    • Now open the regedit, and open the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command key. Luckilly for us, we may specify parameters there for the (Default) value. This is normally: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Nov 17, 2019
  3. .jar files opening in internet explorer

Hi Robert,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that .jar files opens in Internet Explorer by default and downloads again on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it resolves the issue.

1. Right click on the .jar file, select Open with
    and click on Choose another app.

2. Select the app you want to open the .jar file from list.

3. If required, highlight the app and check the option
    Always use this app to open, click OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Nov 17, 2019
  4. NateHoopu Win User

.jar files opening in internet explorer

I have the same problem, I accidentaly switched a .jar file to open with internet explorer, or notepad, I can't remember, and I forgot to unselect set it to the default, and now I can't get back to the java thing, please help.

NateHoopu, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I get this JAR file to open? - Similar Threads - JAR file open

2. How do I get rid of the default app to open .jar files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I get rid of the default app to open .jar files?: I accidently made Gimp the default app and I do not wish to have an app from the Microsoft Store to open .jar files with. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-the-default-app-to-open-jar/049319af-187f-484b-9d1b-293f7dfe0262
  3. How do I get rid of the default app to open .jar files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get rid of the default app to open .jar files?: I accidently made Gimp the default app and I do not wish to have an app from the Microsoft Store to open .jar files with. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-the-default-app-to-open-jar/049319af-187f-484b-9d1b-293f7dfe0262
  4. How do I get rid of the default app to open .jar files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. jar file not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    jar file not opening: why the hell wont my file open? i have tried literally everything [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jar-file-not-opening/867eeb37-c1d0-4185-9ad9-2f9ae95e531d
  6. .Jar files not opening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    .Jar files not opening: ive tried everything, jarfix CMD pathing , BAT file, javaw.exe fucking nothing. submitted by /u/jmantechno [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l8afe2/jar_files_not_opening/
  7. Jar File not Opening

Jar File not Opening: So I have installed Minecraft Java 1.16.4 on my Windows 10 and I have tried to install Optifine 1.16.4 on it and I got it where the icon is the jar teacup with the smoke and every time I try to install it it says there was an error in the following sequence that has a...
  8. I can't open jar files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't open jar files: I wanted to install forge to get mods in minecraft but the jar files won't launch. I tried using cmd, creating a bat file and using jarfix. Nothing worked. All it does is create a new text document which says: JVM info: Oracle Corporation - 1.8.0_271 - 25.271-b09...
  9. I can't open jar files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't open jar files: I wanted to install forge to get mods in minecraft but the jar files won't launch. I tried using cmd, creating a bat file and using jarfix. Nothing worked. All it does is create a new text document which says: JVM info: Oracle Corporation - 1.8.0_271 - 25.271-b09...
  10. I opened a jar file with notepad accidently how do I revert that

I opened a jar file with notepad accidently how do I revert that: So I was trying to play with me friend and I needed to get a mod downloader for the game we were gonna play together so blah blah blah I downloaded the zip file extracted all and then tried to open the jar file but a window popped up and asked me how I wanted to open this...