Windows 10: How do I get USB 3.0 DVD drive to show up in boot menu?

Discus and support How do I get USB 3.0 DVD drive to show up in boot menu? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How do I get USB 3.0 DVD drive to show up in boot menu of refurbished OptiPlex 990 with bios A24? Once Windows 1909 is started, the DVD drive works,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sbdresner, Oct 31, 2019.

1. sbdresner Win User

How do I get USB 3.0 DVD drive to show up in boot menu?

How do I get USB 3.0 DVD drive to show up in boot menu of refurbished OptiPlex 990 with bios A24? Once Windows 1909 is started, the DVD drive works, except I can't boot from it.

Many thanks in advance,
    Steve

:)

sbdresner, Oct 31, 2019
  2. btarunr Win User

Can't boot from DVD drive

Is your controller in RAID/AHCI modes? If so, the DVD drive will be listed as a separate device in the list of available boot devices, not as "CDROM". Remember that when setting boot device priority. Otherwise, read the manual to see which hotkey during POST brings up the boot menu that lets you select which device to boot from. Even here, the drive will be listed separately, and not as "CDROM".

btarunr, Oct 31, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Dvd drive not showing

Is this the HP 15r014tx in your system specs? If so, try the steps in this thread....
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...r/td-p/6186456

It may be that your DVD drive has a hardware failure (as was suggested in that thread).

More HP support and diagnosis suggestions here in their Help pages....
    HP PCs - CD/DVD Drive Is Not Detected (Windows 10, 8) | HP® Customer Support

4. OldMike65 Win User

Booting from USB drive questions

OK I have been trying for the last 2 days to boot from a usb drive on my computer, read some of the tutorials on how to do this method. Nothing seems to work so far. Been trying the recovery method, then choosing Advance setup.
    That works to the point of showing my choices, if I choose the boot to uefi settings then choose boot options from my menu, usb option is never listed. If I use a dvd, then its always listed as an option.

Now this is the strange part for me, Also listed at the advance setup menu at boot up is TWO UEFI RealTek PCie GBE Family Controller's on my menu. one says IPv4 the 2nd one says IPv6 Should I show two family controllers on the boot menu??? Is this normal?? Computer is an HP Envy Desktop 810-160

Bottom line is this computer is 2014 model, so kinda new, and I have not found anyway yet to boot to any usb drive yet. Boots from dvd drive with no problem. Fast boot is off.

OldMike65, Oct 31, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I get USB 3.0 DVD drive to show up in boot menu? - Similar Threads - USB DVD drive

2. how do i get my start menu to show up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i get my start menu to show up?: I just got an update for windows 11 and now neither the start button nor search button will work on the tool bar. I also tried pressing the windows button on the keyboard and it won't work either. How do i get the start menu back?...
  3. how do i get my start menu to show up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i get my start menu to show up?: I just got an update for windows 11 and now neither the start button nor search button will work on the tool bar. I also tried pressing the windows button on the keyboard and it won't work either. How do i get the start menu back?...
  4. Dvd not showing boot menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dvd not showing boot menu: I want to install win10 using dvd but not showing in boot menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-not-showing-boot-menu/ae7472dd-dd9d-492c-999d-93b798b9d1f4
  5. flash drive not showing up on boot menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    flash drive not showing up on boot menu: My usb 3.1 isn’t showing up on the boot menu, will i need to fix something in the bios or is it a problem with the flash drive? submitted by /u/urmomhomosapien [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lh3rte/flash_drive_not_showing_up_on_boot_menu/
  6. USB not showing in boot menu. Help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB not showing in boot menu. Help!: I want to install Windows 10 on a Samsung NP270E5G laptop (pretty old) with a brand new Kingston SSD inside (bye bye slow HDDs). I tried everything: formatting my USB in FAT32, NTFS, using a USB to micro SD adapter and doing the same, changing every possible setting i...
  7. Dvd / Cd drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dvd / Cd drive not showing up: Hi all i cannot find my cd drive in This PC from file explorer It is neither in device manager nor in disk management i did the registry key solution, used cmd, used troubleshooter i don't know what to do next help please!?!? [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  8. have no dvd@cd drive how do I get the drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    have no dvd@cd drive how do I get the drives: can download game on my ASUS computer hope someone can help me thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-no-dvdcd-drive-how-do-i-get-the-drives/cee5db1b-98ff-410f-b109-c25ce3edb084
  9. DVD drive not showing up/DVD not being read

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive not showing up/DVD not being read: My DVD drive was working fine yesterday it went into hibernate mode and upon logging back in the drive no longer showed in my drive list nor is it recognizing the DVD (I've tried multiple). I had several updates that I had been putting off so I allowed those but it did not...
  10. How do I boot from dvd drive on HP laptop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I boot from dvd drive on HP laptop?: How do I boot from dvd drive on HP laptop? According to Google it says press esc repeatedly and then f9. I did this and it did not work so I went into the BIOS and changed boot order to cd/dvd drive at the top but it will not boot do I have to press another key? Thank you in...