Windows 10: How do I get USB ports to respond when computer is asleep?

Discus and support How do I get USB ports to respond when computer is asleep? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've got two Win10 desktop computers, both running Version 1803. Both use wireless keyboards and mouse, and the device Properties for those I've got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Electrojim, Mar 25, 2019.

1. How do I get USB ports to respond when computer is asleep?

I've got two Win10 desktop computers, both running Version 1803. Both use wireless keyboards and mouse, and the device Properties for those I've got them so they won't bring the computer out of sleep, as bumping the mouse will invariably do that otherwise.

One computer will wake whenever a USB port is used, and plugging-in a random flash drive is an easy way to bring that machine out of sleep. The other one will not do this, so I have to hit the Power button, which is very inconvenient. I've searched Device Manager and cannot find a way to make the USB responsive in sleep. Where "Allow this device to wake the computer" is shown, it's grayed-out so the box can't be checked. Any ideas?

:)

Electrojim, Mar 25, 2019
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

How do I get USB ports to respond when computer is asleep? [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Mar 25, 2019
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    USB ports

Hi Frank,

Inserting and removing a USB device repeatedly may cause the USB port to stop responding. When the port is in this state, it no longer recognizes any USB device, and the USB device will not work.

Here are few things that you can do to resolve the issue:

Use Device Manager to scan for hardware changes. After your computer scans for hardware changes, it might recognize the USB device that is connected to the USB port so that you can use the device.

To scan for hardware changes, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
    • In Device Manager, click your computer so that it is highlighted.
    • Click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
    • Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Turn off Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

• In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
    • In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab. Uncheck the
      Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
      box.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Mar 25, 2019
  4. trinaz Win User

How do I get USB ports to respond when computer is asleep?

USB PCI 4 port card stopped responding

Thanks for the help....Under USB controllers there is/was no yellow flags...?...here are the listed USB items under Universal Serial Bus Controllers....

Will try driver download from manufacturer.....how do I tell which of the listed USB devices is the 4-port add on card...this is a four port card

Thanks....TiminAz

trinaz, Mar 25, 2019
Thema:

How do I get USB ports to respond when computer is asleep?

1. How do I get USB ports to respond when computer is asleep? - Similar Threads - USB ports respond

2. How do I get my computer to recognize when I plug my controller into a USB port?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get my computer to recognize when I plug my controller into a USB port?: I recently got a new hard drive and installed windows 10 64bit. I play some video games on my PC and want to use my Xbox controller which I have used before on my old hard drive with no problems. Since getting the new hard drive and installing windows 10, I plug in my...
  3. How do I get my computer to recognize when I plug my controller into a USB port?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get my computer to recognize when I plug my controller into a USB port?: I recently got a new hard drive and installed windows 10 64bit. I play some video games on my PC and want to use my Xbox controller which I have used before on my old hard drive with no problems. Since getting the new hard drive and installing windows 10, I plug in my...
  4. How do I get my computer to recognize when I plug my controller into a USB port?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How can I get my computer to STAY asleep?

How can I get my computer to STAY asleep?: I am at my wit's end here. I have a fan that's on its last leg and I try to give it a break when I can. But EVERY SINGLE MORNING at 2 AM I am woken up by my grindy fan. And then I put my computer back to sleep and tuck myself back into bed and as soon as I am about to fall...
  6. How can I get my computer to STAY asleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get my computer to STAY asleep?: I am at my wit's end here. I have a fan that's on its last leg and I try to give it a break when I can. But EVERY SINGLE MORNING at 2 AM I am woken up by my grindy fan. And then I put my computer back to sleep and tuck myself back into bed and as soon as I am about to fall...
  7. How can I get my computer to STAY asleep?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. How do i reinstall usb port drivers

How do i reinstall usb port drivers: i was trying to fix a problem with my controllers my PC thought they were speakers and so i thought uninstalling port drivers would help but idk how to reinstall them...
  9. USB ports will not respond

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB ports will not respond: my usb ports om my hp15 notebook just stopped working. is thtere a fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-ports-will-not-respond/ba4eb348-372a-4509-b6b3-5a29479911ab
  10. How do I Load Usb Port ON MY Computer ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I Load Usb Port ON MY Computer ?: How Do I Load A usp Port On Computer It Has Resume On It trying to get resume on Line What do I Do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-load-usb-port-on-my-computer/03e9bb66-e425-49fb-b08b-1afa470cafbc"