Windows 10: How do I get Windows Defender running again

Discus and support How do I get Windows Defender running again in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I had a problem with my program of Windows Defender as they are not running at the moment. All I see is when I clicked Threat service has stopped.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by imcanadian, Dec 10, 2018.

1. How do I get Windows Defender running again

I had a problem with my program of Windows Defender as they are not running at the moment. All I see is when I clicked Threat service has stopped. Restart it now. Unexpected error. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again.

Now how do I get this working again? Any idea with this to get Threat service start again. First I think I better give you a story about what I did with my desktop this morning. I ran Tweaking Windows Repair 4.4.0 in safe mode to repair my operating system of Windows 10 Pro. After that job was done and restarted the desktop in normal mode. Surprised to see that Windows Defender is not running after Windows Repair 4.4.0 ran through in safe mode. Anyway here is the message the guy name Shane is the one who wrote the program, Tweaking Windows Repair 4.4.0 and read below what he said.

OK so here is what I found in my testing, it wasnt any single repair breaking windows 10 1809, the antivirus or anything else. It was windows itself!

I found in my testing that 1809 has a bug where when you use the bcdedit command to set safemode with networking and then use the bcdedit to remove the command it doesn't fully work. Those are the commands my program uses to get windows into safe mode.

So what happens is 2 registry keys are created by windows when using bcdedit but when you remove the command the 2 registry keys are not removed! So windows thinks its still in safe mode when it isnt, and so no service that isnt allowed to run in safe mode will start! This means windows updates not opening, antiivirus not working all of it and a ton more. This didn't happen in older builds or older versions of Windows.

So in the new version of my program (v4.4.0 released today as of this post) I have WR set to remove those two registry keys! After that everything works great and the repairs arent actually breaking anything.

So if you get a user who has this trouble, there is a way to fix it! two ways actually.

1st way: Have them load up the new version of WR and have WR restart in safe mode, once in safe mode open WR and then simply close it. WR will remove the registry keys when it closes and then restart windows. This is by far the easiest way for users.

2nd way: In the program folder under the files folder and then the regfiles folder I made a remove_stuck_safemode.reg files that will delete the registry keys if they are there. All a user needs to do is double click on it and then restart windows. While this may seem easier, it also means telling some users how to actually find the file, which you know isn't always easy.

Keeping up with the constant changes and new bugs in every new build of Windows 10 is a challenge, thanks for hanging in there with me!

-Shane
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I did the 2nd way to go in program folder under the files folder and then the regfiles folder then find the reg file, " remove_stuck_safemode.reg " then double click on that reg file and at last restart the desktop into normal mode.

Well that problem did not solve this and I am stuck with this part that Windows Defender is not working properly. Is there another way to fix this problem to get Windows Defender working again. I know I can't uninstall Windows Defender because is a part of Windows 10 operating system. Oh mine is Windows 10 Professional 64-bit edition.

Let me know any solution to solve this problem. I know that is my biggest mistake to run Tweaking Windows Repair 4.4.0 and is already gone from the hard drive.

Looking forward to hear about this.

Thank you,

John *Sad *cry

:)

imcanadian, Dec 10, 2018

2. Windows Defender problem

Hi Ernst,

To troubleshoot this issue, we suggest that you check the Windows Defender service if it's running. If you are using a third party spyware/malware program, it may disable the Windows Defender service. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.
    • Type services.msc.
    • Right-click Windows Defender service and click
      Start.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Dec 10, 2018
  3. Windows Defender Not On

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run virus scan to make sure the computer is free from virus.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Method 2:

Turn the Defender on. Follow the below steps:

• In search, type Defender.
    • Now make the option ON by moving the slider accordingly.

Method 3: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Select “Run as Administrator”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Dec 10, 2018
  4. How do I get Windows Defender running again

Windows defender's process running despite it being disabled.

Windows Defender is integrated within Windows 10. So you have it and it is running (as it should be) unless you installed a 3rd party "real-time" anti-malware solution. If you are using an alternative security solution, it should have registered itself with Windows Action Center which would then disable the real-time component of Windows Defender - unless you specifically told the 3rd party solution not to register itself.

For example, if you purchased Malwarebytes "Premium", it has a real-time scanner (the free version does not). When you install Malwarebytes Premium, it registers itself in Windows Action Center. But because Malwarebytes and Windows Defender play very well together without hogging resources or causing conflicts, it is often recommended to allow each to run at the same time. So to allow that, the user has to manually go into the Malwarebytes control panel Settings menu and select the option to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center".

I suspect other 3rd party solutions provide similar options so you might check that out if you did indeed, install a 3rd party security solution.

Both Windows Update and Windows Defender are supposed to step way back in to the background so they do not interfere with system performance when you are actively using your computer. But this is not always possible, especially if you regularly shut down your computer when you step away from it (instead of just letting it go to sleep), as too much time may have passed and your system is too far behind in Windows and security updates.

Without you noting which program was actually consuming the lion's share of that 80%, there's no way to tell what, at this point, was causing the problem. However, I would not put it past a browser. Chrome, for example, is very good (or bad, I should say) at eating up a lot of RAM and failing to let it go when exited.

Bill_Bright, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

How do I get Windows Defender running again

1. How do I get Windows Defender running again - Similar Threads - Defender running again

2. How do I get the transparency effects on windows 11 to run again?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get the transparency effects on windows 11 to run again?: My Windows 11 PC has been running transparency effects ever since I updated it, back in October or November of 2022. It had all the Transparency effects working fine and I have received the feature and quality updates so far. Last month, I got an update after which it stopped...
  3. How do I get the transparency effects on windows 11 to run again?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get the transparency effects on windows 11 to run again?: My Windows 11 PC has been running transparency effects ever since I updated it, back in October or November of 2022. It had all the Transparency effects working fine and I have received the feature and quality updates so far. Last month, I got an update after which it stopped...
  4. How Do I Get Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Do I Get Windows Defender: I just bought a new computer with McAfee installed. I don't want McAfee, I want Windows Defender. It is not installed on my computer, despite the fact that I have Windows 11 and I can find NO WAY TO DOWNLOAD IT!!. This is seriously ticking me off. What? I have to pay for it...
  5. How Do I Get Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Do I Get Windows Defender: I just bought a new computer with McAfee installed. I don't want McAfee, I want Windows Defender. It is not installed on my computer, despite the fact that I have Windows 11 and I can find NO WAY TO DOWNLOAD IT!!. This is seriously ticking me off. What? I have to pay for it...
  6. how do i get rid of windows defender ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i get rid of windows defender ?: i am sick of this program deleting files on my games and stopping me from gaming. some reason even when i turn off this junk program it runs anyway. i do not want this on my pc...
  7. How do I remove McAfee and get Windows Defender firewall running?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I remove McAfee and get Windows Defender firewall running?: My McAfee free month that was preinstalled is over and I want to remove it and turn on my Windows Defender firewall but when I try to delete McAfee, it says I need administrative permission. I am the sole owner and user of this PC. How do I access and set myself up as the...
  8. How do I run a Windows Defender scan?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I run a Windows Defender scan?: I have followed every article and I keep reaching dead ends. I am not able to run any files except for a few pre installed apps. I can still play music and watch videos. When I go into Windows Security and go into "Virus and Threat Protection" there are no settings /...
  9. How to get mouse running again ????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get mouse running again ????: My machine aotumatic updated to 1803 17134.228 and it seems like it will NOT accept my USB ports ! I have my mouse in an USB !!!!!!!!!! Can you imaging install/troubleshoot with no mouse working ... mission imposible ! How can I get my mouse running again OR...
  10. How to get mouse running again ????

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to get mouse running again ????: My machine aotumatic updated to 1803 17134.228 and it seems like it will NOT accept my USB ports ! I have my mouse in an USB !!!!!!!!!! Can you imaging install/troubleshoot with no mouse working ... mission imposible ! How can I get my mouse running again OR...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i get windows defender back

2. another program bytfence disabled windows defender how do I get it back