Windows 10: How do I get Windows folders to stop remembering history of a particular Drive or Directory?

Discus and support How do I get Windows folders to stop remembering history of a particular Drive or Directory? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] How do I get Windows folders to stop remembering history of a particular Drive or Directory? (Some content hidden to protect my privacy)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/unix21311, Jan 25, 2021.

1. How do I get Windows folders to stop remembering history of a particular Drive or Directory?

How do I get Windows folders to stop remembering history of a particular Drive or Directory? OK2lYyVObYyS6amb6k5FhhPSDcqU9gAlwfVZjtaXj4M.jpg

How do I get Windows folders to stop remembering history of a particular Drive or Directory?

(Some content hidden to protect my privacy)

For example over here, I want to get Windows to stop remembering history of certain folders I may open, does anyone know by any chance?

submitted by /u/unix21311
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/unix21311, Jan 25, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

File History has created a duplicate directory?

You probably got to this step (Option Three, step 3 in the tutorial Select Drive for File History in Windows 10 ) selected the drive in the top panel, then clicked OK

How do I get Windows folders to stop remembering history of a particular Drive or Directory? [​IMG]

Depending on the answers you gave in steps 4 and 5 you would have either copied your old history into the new folder or started a fresh history. Either way you would have created a new folder for your history, your 'JAY-DESKTOPDELL (2)' folder.

What you should have done if you wanted to continue using the original folder was to select the existing back-up in the bottom panel before clicking OK, as I have done here.

How do I get Windows folders to stop remembering history of a particular Drive or Directory? [​IMG]

JAY-DESKTOPDELL is your original history. Whether you copied the history into the new folder or not, it should still contain the older backups. You can check that it still does by browsing that folder. The 'JAY-DESKTOPDELL\Data\C\Users\<YourUsename>' folder contains the back-up copies of the files and folders, each file with its backup date appended to its filename. Do not modify anything here, it's safe to look but do not touch. (It's also safe to copy a file from here back to your PC as a alternative manual way to restore a file without the need to use the File History tool)

If you are happy that the original folder has all the history you need, then you can stop file history then delete the 'JAY-DESKTOPDELL (2)' folder. Then you can reconnect to the history drive, this time remembering to select the existing back-up.

3. How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Jan 25, 2021
  4. How do I get Windows folders to stop remembering history of a particular Drive or Directory?

How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Jan 25, 2021
Thema:

How do I get Windows folders to stop remembering history of a particular Drive or Directory?

1. How do I get Windows folders to stop remembering history of a particular Drive or Directory? - Similar Threads - folders stop remembering

2. Stop sharing a folder / directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop sharing a folder / directory: i started sharing one of my directories with my laptop but after hassels and other reasons i decided to turn it off, however no matter what i do its not going offline?In the screenshot above it shows that its being shared however, there is no one in the share permission.and...
  3. Stop sharing a folder / directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop sharing a folder / directory: i started sharing one of my directories with my laptop but after hassels and other reasons i decided to turn it off, however no matter what i do its not going offline?In the screenshot above it shows that its being shared however, there is no one in the share permission.and...
  4. How do I stop a particular windows 10 update from installing?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I stop a particular windows 10 update from installing?: Something in the latest windows 10 quality update puts my computer in an endless auto repair cycle every time I try to restart. I removed the update and the problem went away. After I delayed the update as long as I could, it reinstalled and the problem came back. I...
  5. How do I stop a particular windows 10 update from installing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop a particular windows 10 update from installing?: Something in the latest windows 10 quality update puts my computer in an endless auto repair cycle every time I try to restart. I removed the update and the problem went away. After I delayed the update as long as I could, it reinstalled and the problem came back. I...
  6. How do I get windows 10 to remember the last folder I saved to?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I get windows 10 to remember the last folder I saved to?: When I use a program repeatedly Any Program, for instance a graphics program, I don't want to have to drill down through the folders every single time I save a new photo that I edited. I want to be able to save to the last folder I saved to, the last time I edited a photo....
  7. How do I disable a particular application from remembering history in the taskbar/start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I disable a particular application from remembering history in the taskbar/start menu?: [ATTACH] Windows likes to store information in regards to previously opened files. They do this in the start menu and taskbar. (Some information has been blacked out) So my question is how do I get Windows to stop remembering the files that I opened for a particular...
  8. How do i make a directory inside of a folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do i make a directory inside of a folder?: I made an undeleteable folder in my D: drive. My question that I need help with is, if its possible, how do i make a undeleteable folder within the folder that I made previously? Any help is greatly appreciated. submitted by /u/AStraightWhiteNail [link] [comments]...
  9. How do I STOP Windows changing directory names on MY data drive?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I STOP Windows changing directory names on MY data drive?: Every time stupid Windows does another unnecessary update have you noticed any improvements after an update?, it changes directory names on my P: drive. This is a stand alone physical hard drive with only MY data on it. The programmes and operating system reside on the C:...
  10. Windows 10 Home x64 Can't "Remember" Folder View in Directories on Removable Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Home x64 Can't "Remember" Folder View in Directories on Removable Drives: I don't know about anyone else, but I believe I'm quite justified in feeling irritated and frustrated whenever I open a directory on a removable [USB] drive only to see Details view, when I have REPEATEDLY specified Pictures Large Icons. Why in the WORLD is this happening...