Windows 10: How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password?

Discus and support How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been trying to connect to a VPN that I recently downloaded, but whenever I try to do so, this sign-in message keeps popping up. I quite literally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mr. Auris, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Mr. Auris Win User

How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password?

I've been trying to connect to a VPN that I recently downloaded, but whenever I try to do so, this sign-in message keeps popping up. I quite literally have zero clue what my user or password is because I've tried everything it could possibly be. It's been over an hour of me trying to find out how to fix this, but I haven't found anything useful thus far. ex. Image

:)

Mr. Auris, Mar 22, 2023

2. change admin username account

Hi
    vasilisnikolo

Are you logged in with the Microsoft account or a local account?

You can follow the steps below to change the username and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X key.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Under view, select large icons.
    • Go to User Account.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Select the User Account for which you want to select the password.
    • Click on Change the username.
    • Click on Change Name button.
    Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Mar 22, 2023
  3. Swifty Win User
    I changed my windows username, password stopped working

If your user doesn't own any EFS encrypted files, then you can use this approach:

1. Create (or make sure you have) an administrator ID other than your own user.
    2. Make sure you can logon to this ID (i.e. you know its' password)
    3. Make the change to your username.
    4. Logon as your other administrator
    5. Go to "Control Panel" -> "User Accounts" (I don't know if Windows 10 has a "native" equivalent)
    6. Manage another account
    7. Click your username
    8. Change the password.

If you have EFS encrypted files, and you go this route, then you'll no longer be able to access their content. I use an encrypting backup mechanism to backup my encrypted files to a file which is not EFS encrypted. If you adopt this approach, then make sure that you can recover files from the backup before changing your own username!

To see if you have encrypted files, issue the command: cipher /u /n

Swifty, Mar 22, 2023
  4. How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password?

How do you set up a password in Windows 10, if you have never used one?

You should be able to click Change, leave the "Old Password" empty (blank) and put in a new password in the two bottom boxes.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest this alternative instead:

• Open Command Prompt
    • Type echo %username% and press Enter (this will reveal your true username on the next line)
    • Type the following and press Enter to change the password to

net user alanrosenbaum NewPassword!

Replace "alanrosenbaum" with whatever username you got in step 2.

Replace "NewPassword!" with whatever you want your password to actually become.

That's it.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Mar 22, 2023
Thema:

How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password?

1. How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password? - Similar Threads - Changing Username Password

2. How do I change it to my username?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change it to my username?: I bought a laptop hp envy x360 12 gen a few days ago and even after I changed the user and deleted the old one the file extension is still the old user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-it-to-my-username/945d3d73-f9d3-49f2-ab4b-84329ad9c546
  3. How do I change it to my username?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change it to my username?: I bought a laptop hp envy x360 12 gen a few days ago and even after I changed the user and deleted the old one the file extension is still the old user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-it-to-my-username/945d3d73-f9d3-49f2-ab4b-84329ad9c546
  4. How do I go about figuring out the password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I go about figuring out the password?: I'm here to ask for help on my motherboard settings. I can't access my motherboard setting without a password and the problem is I have no clue what the password is....
  5. How do I go about figuring out the password?

How do I go about figuring out the password?: I'm here to ask for help on my motherboard settings. I can't access my motherboard setting without a password and the problem is I have no clue what the password is....
  6. How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password?: I've been trying to connect to a VPN that I recently downloaded, but whenever I try to do so, this sign-in message keeps popping up. I quite literally have zero clue what my user or password is because I've tried everything it could possibly be. It's been over an hour of me...
  7. How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password?

How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password?: I've been trying to connect to a VPN that I recently downloaded, but whenever I try to do so, this sign-in message keeps popping up. I quite literally have zero clue what my user or password is because I've tried everything it could possibly be. It's been over an hour of me...
  8. How do i change my username?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i change my username?: The username i am asking about is the one which you see in the "Users" folder in C drive. I want to change that name but I am afraid if it will break any of my apps because the location would be changed. Like earlier the app was in C/Users/oldname/app.exe and now it is in...
  9. How do i change my username?

How do i change my username?: The username i am asking about is the one which you see in the "Users" folder in C drive. I want to change that name but I am afraid if it will break any of my apps because the location would be changed. Like earlier the app was in C/Users/oldname/app.exe and now it is in...
  10. How do I change username?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change username?: So you know the name when you download a file Example: users/blank/program How do I change it? submitted by /u/kolovon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g1kr43/how_do_i_change_username/