Windows 10: How do I go about transferring ownership of a laptop?

Discus and support How do I go about transferring ownership of a laptop? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a friend who needs a laptop for school, but doesn’t have the money. And I have a laptop I don’t need ever since I built a desktop. Problem is,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/I-Ponder, Mar 31, 2021.

1. How do I go about transferring ownership of a laptop?

I have a friend who needs a laptop for school, but doesn’t have the money. And I have a laptop I don’t need ever since I built a desktop.

Problem is, I cannot get my Microsoft account off of it so they can sign in with their own account. What do I do?

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/I-Ponder
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/I-Ponder, Mar 31, 2021

2. Transferring Ownership of Desktop to a Family Member

Hey! Thanks for replying!

• The account on the desktop being transferred to my mom is a Microsoft Account, I also use it on my current laptop.
    • I purchased MS Office 2010 for her, she said she should have the disc/product key but will look today.
    • I wish to transfer ownership of MS Office 2013 currently on the desktop, I've upgraded to MS Office 2016 on my laptop.
    • One of the main reasons I'm handing this down is the condition of her computer and that my gifted computer has been sitting for about six to eight months. It may have been longer but ... Should I update Windows prior to transferring ownership?
    Thank you for your time and efforts!

MR

MRileyDE302, Mar 31, 2021
  3. Transferring Ownership of Desktop to a Family Member

Thanks for providing the details we requested. Since you're using a Microsoft account as the primary sign-in on the laptop that you will transfer ownership to, we suggest that you create a separate Microsoft account for the new owner if they don't have one
    yet. Also, do take note that if the laptop was set up with your Microsoft account the digital license for the Windows 10 OS is tied to your account.

Since the disc and product key of the Microsoft Office 2010 suite is still available, what you can do is to reinstall the software and have her fill in the details during the setup process. This also applies if you would like to transfer the ownership of
    the Microsoft Office 2013 suite that you currently are not using.

Regards.

Jordan Dom, Mar 31, 2021
  4. How do I go about transferring ownership of a laptop?

USB Transfer to Laptop

Hello Judy,

I suggest you to copy all the files to a flash drive from the laptop.
    You may create a new folder on your desktop and name that folder as per your choice.

• Perform the steps to transfer the files from laptop to desktop.

• Plug in the flash drive and wait for it to get detected.

• Now, open the flash drive and Right Click on the files that you want to transfer and select “Copy”.

• Now, open the folder on desktop and Right Click on an empty space in the folder and select “Paste”.

• Similarly, you can transfer all other files.
    As per the file size you can also use an external drive instead of a flash drive and transfer the data.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Mar 31, 2021
Thema:

How do I go about transferring ownership of a laptop?

1. How do I go about transferring ownership of a laptop? - Similar Threads - transferring ownership laptop

2. How do I go about reinstalling windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I go about reinstalling windows?: I just recently built a whole new gaming rig, equipped with a Ryzen 7 7700x, RTX 4060 TI, 32GB DDR5 Memory, a Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX rev 1.5 UEFI Updated and an 850w gold Thermaltake PSU.I also have a 1tb Seagate HDD and a WD BLACK SN770 SSD. I built the system as a first...
  3. How do I go about reinstalling windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I go about reinstalling windows?: I just recently built a whole new gaming rig, equipped with a Ryzen 7 7700x, RTX 4060 TI, 32GB DDR5 Memory, a Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX rev 1.5 UEFI Updated and an 850w gold Thermaltake PSU.I also have a 1tb Seagate HDD and a WD BLACK SN770 SSD. I built the system as a first...
  4. How do I go about reinstalling windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I go about limited access on my laptop internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I go about limited access on my laptop internet: There’s this yellow sign showing on the internet part https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-go-about-limited-access-on-my-laptop/ea5ed1fc-2386-4f6e-8f60-4084802752db
  6. How do I go about limited access on my laptop internet

How do I go about limited access on my laptop internet: There’s this yellow sign showing on the internet part https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-go-about-limited-access-on-my-laptop/ea5ed1fc-2386-4f6e-8f60-4084802752db
  7. Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership: I have two laptops which have the same Microsoft account login *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.I would like to transfer one of the laptop Microsoft login to my family member. Appreciate you for guiding me on how to do the Microsoft account transfer in that...
  8. Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership

Request transfer of laptop Microsoft Account ownership: I have two laptops which have the same Microsoft account login *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.I would like to transfer one of the laptop Microsoft login to my family member. Appreciate you for guiding me on how to do the Microsoft account transfer in that...
  9. Transfering ownership of whiteboards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfering ownership of whiteboards: Hello,I'm looking for a way to transfer my whiteboards from one account to another. They are both personal accounts. Let me know what my options are,Thanks!...
  10. Transfering ownership of whiteboards

Transfering ownership of whiteboards: Hello,I'm looking for a way to transfer my whiteboards from one account to another. They are both personal accounts. Let me know what my options are,Thanks!...