Windows 10: How do I guarantee that the registry hasn't been changed or inherited settings and changes...

Discus and support How do I guarantee that the registry hasn't been changed or inherited settings and changes... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So I had been working remotely with a east coast based company that required me to connect using a VPN. After having some issues with configuration... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DanielHostetler1, Jun 10, 2019.

1. How do I guarantee that the registry hasn't been changed or inherited settings and changes...

So I had been working remotely with a east coast based company that required me to connect using a VPN. After having some issues with configuration settings not staying as set I contacted their help desk to see if we could troubleshoot the issue. In the process of the Help Desk tech attempting to diagnose the cause he proceeded to access a hidden server share connected with my system and in doing so I was able to see that they had taken a complete copy of my files and folders from my personal computer. It took me a moment to realize that is what I was looking at and when I reacted to what I was seeing, he quickly shut the share and then proceeded to act like it didn't happen and wouldn't respond to my questions.

I immediately logged off their server and shut my computer down. After a few days I made a duplicate copy of the drive and all contents and then wiped my drive completely and installed a new version of windows 10 Pro from the Microsoft site using a USB drive. However I would immediately connect my personal Windows profile and that would immediately connect my cloud storage. I also would connect my gmail accounts and sync the information that I was having backed up on Google Drive. I used to be a lot more comfortable with Windows registry but have slowly lost what I knew since I last used it daily around the release of XP. Based on the information I have gathered and discovered using a different tower and the copy of my drive I know that the intrusions, access and policy settings that had been installed and added to my system went far beyond a VPN setup and was there for purposes that they had not authorization or right to make to my system. During the investigation I came to suspect that the configurations they made were, for lack of a better description, self healing and replicating. That has caused me to be incredibly concerned and somewhat paranoid that when signing onto my gmail and windows accounts I unknowingly opened the door to them again and that there are settings and changes that have happened that I haven't discovered as of yet. As I said, the backend of Windows 10 is so much more robust and so much has changed that I don't know what to look for or determine if registry keys that I'm seeing are normal and correct or if they have been changed or added beyond the normal changes

I'm not seeing the level of odd events that I had been prior to doing a completely fresh build of the OS but there are some events that have happened and keys I'm seeing that cause me some concern however I am so hyperattentive and paranoid that I know I could be inventing things in my head that are totally normal.

This brings me to the motive for the post. Is it possible to setup software or a configuration utility to self repair and then hide to avoid discovery or reveal it's presence for anyone not sophisticated or knowledgeable enough to notice abnormalities? What should I look for, use or know to deal with a malfunction or abnormal event? I am fully prepared to be told I'm just really paranoid and there is no issues or ways that type of intrusion could be maintained without giving off the signs so I prepared for that< i'm just tired of not having a firm answer. Any feedback, help, ideas or solutions would be and will be helpful and VERY appreciated.

:)

DanielHostetler1, Jun 10, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Changes made in Registry, Services or Settings not saving

Hi, suggestions:
    1. Disable Fast startup.
    How do I enable or disable fast startup?

• Type Control Panel in the search box.
    • Click Control Panel.
    • Click Power Options.
    • Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    • Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.
    • Click Save changes.

2. There have been cases where an old version 3rd party program has caused settings to revert on rebooting. E.g. winzip, albeit when setting file type association defaults.
    3. Registry permissions problems.
    You could try Tweaking.com's free cautious repair tool, selecting only the relevant registry permissions repair.

You might also compare results when working in Safe Mode.

For more: Google search
    registry change revert on reboot
    gives many results.

dalchina, Jun 10, 2019
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jun 10, 2019
  4. How do I guarantee that the registry hasn't been changed or inherited settings and changes...

How to change BIOS Settings.

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 Insider Preview.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are glad to assist you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to switch from IDE to ACHL and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key +
      R
      from the Keyboard.
    • Type regedit and hit
      Enter
    • Browse to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\
    • Change the DWord value named "Start" from "3" (IDE) to "0" (AHCL)
    • Shutdown the computer.
    • Power the computer back on, making sure to enter the BIOS and change the SATA Operation to AHCL.
    • Save the change.
    Registry Disclaimer:

Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry
    if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the
    configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jun 10, 2019
Thema:

How do I guarantee that the registry hasn't been changed or inherited settings and changes...

1. How do I guarantee that the registry hasn't been changed or inherited settings and changes... - Similar Threads - guarantee registry hasn't

2. how do I change cookie settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I change cookie settings?: Some search pages require cookie blocking. Where are settings for that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-cookie-settings/a20d07f3-3b52-4ef4-92e2-ef1aafd378b7
  3. how do I change cookie settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I change cookie settings?: Some search pages require cookie blocking. Where are settings for that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-cookie-settings/a20d07f3-3b52-4ef4-92e2-ef1aafd378b7
  4. how do I change cookie settings?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How do i change recommended settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i change recommended settings: How do I change recommended settings I do not have the option of choose where to get apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-recommended-settings/6563364e-368d-4dd0-b69d-ace094722b10
  6. How do i change recommended settings

How do i change recommended settings: How do I change recommended settings I do not have the option of choose where to get apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-recommended-settings/6563364e-368d-4dd0-b69d-ace094722b10
  7. How do i change recommended settings

8. how do I change my email in the windows registry

how do I change my email in the windows registry: looking to do this on windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-my-email-in-the-windows-registry/ceb5ccc1-363b-4c4f-9b30-05857939243b
  9. How do I change the registry to connect to WIFI 6G?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change the registry to connect to WIFI 6G?: How do I change the registry to connect to WIFI 6G https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-registry-to-connect-to-wifi-6g/145dba0d-71d1-4f40-a77f-77ea6753940e
  10. need to change registry settings

need to change registry settings: I can't set my network as metered connection. I wanna know how to set registry I am using fresh install of Windows 10 pro. I wanna know from step 1. Sorry for wrong English....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ntds registry settings changed unknowingly