Windows 10: How do I hide my internet access in the list of internet connections around me?

Discus and support How do I hide my internet access in the list of internet connections around me? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Greetings: I have windows 10 pro 64 bit and an HP probook. These are fairly new to me and a much desperately needed upgrade from an HP probook I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gmt3010, Oct 11, 2020.

1. gmt3010 Win User

How do I hide my internet access in the list of internet connections around me?

Greetings:

I have windows 10 pro 64 bit and an HP probook.

These are fairly new to me and a much desperately needed upgrade from an HP probook I got in 2012.

I notice that some people can keep their internet access connections "hidden" -- it is that list of all the internet accounts that are in the area. Usually people next door, or down the street depending on how strong their signal is.

I thought as soon as I am able to upgrade, I am doing just THAT -- making my connection HIDDEN.

When I was setting up this notebook, I was hardwired and that is how I use it, but I have a wi fi printer and I stream wi fi etc. But when I was imputting my wi fi password, I thought I did hit the "hidden" option, however, I am not sure, I see it in my notebook the designation, NOT the password and it is hard to tell if it is hiding my connection.

THIS is a very important thing for me. I've been hacked before.

I looked all around the settings for internet, and I don't see anywhere that leaves this as an option, or talks about this or lets me know it is hidden. I expect to see it in my own list when you click on that icon on the far right lower, called internet access and the combo letter/numbers. Or are you supposed to see it?

Anyway can anyone help me to ensure this is hidden? That matters a lot. People actually troll around here looking for an open wi fi, or ways to get into the wi fi, it is a huge problem.

Not just me.

YES i have a password, and nobody has it, I don't share it and I live alone and I don't think my cats care about the internet.

I just want to make sure it says hidden. I see at the bottom two "hidden" internet connections and THAT is what I want mine to say.

I also checked the wi fi in my phone, BUT IT IS NOT HIDDEN, MY INTERNET ACCESS IS LISTED. It is password protected but i want to use every bit of technology to help stay secure, the one great thing about being able to update one's tech.

thanks,

I hope i expained it okay.

Gina

:)

gmt3010, Oct 11, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer

@dk1971
    1. Open Admin command and type: ipconfig

How do I hide my internet access in the list of internet connections around me? [​IMG]
    2. Win+X->Control Panel->Netwok and Sharing Center
      Follow the screen shot. This should disable internet access from this PC but allows access to local device(s)
      NOTE: Use the IP & Subnet Mask from step 1. Leave Default gateway & DNS Server blank

How do I hide my internet access in the list of internet connections around me? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Oct 11, 2020
  3. Unable to access internet

Original Title: Internet access

Hi Greg,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10. I understand the frustration to wait for something and it is taking a long time.

I would suggest you to perform an Internet troubleshooter by following the steps below.

• Click on start and type ‘troubleshooting’ and press enter.
    • Click on ‘View all’ on top left corner.
    • Select ‘Internet Connections’ in the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Also, check if the issue persists by connecting to a different network.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write is back for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 11, 2020
  4. SUB
    SuB Win User

Is it possible to share internet connection via remote desktop?

RDP is not capable of Internet sharing, so you can't share Internet using RDP with standard applications. There are many way to share Internet from a Windows box to another one. I suggest you to use VPN. You should do following steps:

1. Run VPN Server on your server with unlimited internet access
    2. Connect to VPN server from your limited computer

Thema:

1. How do I hide my internet access in the list of internet connections around me? - Similar Threads - hide internet access

2. How do I connect to the internet?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I connect to the internet?: My laptop can always connect to my WIFI, but somehow can´t connect to the internet. it always says 'No Internet, Secured'. I have to restart my laptop every time in order to connect to the internet....
  3. How do I connect to the internet?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I connect to the internet?: My laptop can always connect to my WIFI, but somehow can´t connect to the internet. it always says 'No Internet, Secured'. I have to restart my laptop every time in order to connect to the internet....
  4. How do I connect to the internet?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Internet access, but not connected

Internet access, but not connected: I encountered this weird issue for the first time ever; I noticed my internet icon was no longer on my taskbar recently. On a side note, I use a wired connection to my router via Ethernet. When I opened the taskbar settings and navigated to the 'Select which icons appear on...
  6. no internet access but connected to the internet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    no internet access but connected to the internet: [ATTACH] Why does not have access to the Internet! But I can explore and search! And I have access to all sites and pages! No Intenet Access!!! submitted by /u/msadr471 [link] [comments]...
  7. "No internet connection" yet I can access the internet??

"No internet connection" yet I can access the internet??: Hi For some weird reason over the past few days I've have an issue with my wifi. I connect to it I'm even using it to post this yet it says on the icon "no internet, secured". [ATTACH] I did no changes before it happened. Just connected to a new wifi. I can play online...
  8. Connected to internet but no access.

Connected to internet but no access.: Hey. Just bought a cheap pc, and the wirless has no access. It connects but that is all. I tried uninstalling wireless driver and reinstalling with no luck. There was a yellow sign over the wirless symbol. But i was advised to try and change my dns to 8.8.8.8 .And....
  9. Connected but no internet access

Connected but no internet access: I just bought a new PC with the latest Windows 10 version, but the internet didn't work. It said it was connected and it didn't have the yellow icon, after running the troubleshooter the result was problems with the DNS. So I ran the commands: ipconfig/release, flushdns,...
  10. Connected to internet but no access

Connected to internet but no access: Recently my laptop has a boot error and auto recovery and maintenances could not solve the issue. So I reset the laptop but kept the files and now it boots perfectly fine however none of the internet is working. It shows that I am connected to the wifi but there is no access...