Windows 10: How do I initialize my External USB HDD WD My Passport?

Discus and support How do I initialize my External USB HDD WD My Passport? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an External USB HDD WD My Passport 0810 that needs initialization. I have been using it for System Image backups via Macrium Reflect free as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MeAndMyComputer, Nov 3, 2019.

1. How do I initialize my External USB HDD WD My Passport?

I have an External USB HDD WD My Passport 0810 that needs initialization.

I have been using it for System Image backups via Macrium Reflect free as well as saving my data..
    How do I initialize it so I can get back to using it for System Image backups again?
    I'm not concerned about data that was on it as I have that data also saved on a USB flash drive also.
    My Windows 10 Home version is 1903 (OS Build 18362.418)

How do I initialize my External USB HDD WD My Passport? [​IMG]

How do I initialize my External USB HDD WD My Passport? [​IMG]

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Nov 3, 2019

2. WD My Passport Ultra 2 TB Can't Initialize Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Hello I have problem,

My WD External external HDD 2TB (My Passport Ultra) won't recognized

after I plug it in

And when I run disk management it listed as non initialized disk

I try to initialize it both gpt and mbr, nothing is work

it said I/O device error

Is there solution to this, thank you

DevotedOne89, Nov 3, 2019
  3. WD My Passport Ultra 2 TB Can't Initialize Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Hey @Always소녀시대!

Usually I/O errors are related to bad cable, so you can try the basic troubleshooting steps first in this case - try a different cable and to plug the device in a different USB port of the computer.

If it doesn't solve the issue, then you can run a test on the external with Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and see if any errors or bad sectors will be detected. If you want, go with an extended test with the program if you want because when this software finds
    anything wrong with the HDD during the extended test it will try to automatically fix it. Here's a link you can download it from:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=c59qu8

Let me know how it went.

MightyMiro_WD, Nov 3, 2019
  4. How do I initialize my External USB HDD WD My Passport?

i can't see my external hard drive 'WD My PassPort' ,, help me please

Hello, raniaaboelkheir1!

I'm truly sorry to hear about your issues with the WD My Passport external drive. How do I initialize my External USB HDD WD My Passport? :(

I'd recommend you to go to
    Disk Management
    and check how the drive is recognized there. Another thing you could try is

Uninstalling and Re-installing the WD My Passport from Device Manager
    . If you have a spare USB cable, you could try plugging the HDD with it as well.

Usually when you are prompted to format the external HDD, it means that the file system got somehow corrupted. I'd also suggest you to run both the Quick and Extended tests from the

WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostic utility
    . This will help you determine the health and S.M.A.R.T. status of the WD My Passport drive.

Keep me posted with the results of the troubleshooting.

Hope it helps.

SuperSoph_WD, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

How do I initialize my External USB HDD WD My Passport?

1. How do I initialize my External USB HDD WD My Passport? - Similar Threads - initialize External USB

2. WD My passport External drive 1tb is shown as not initialized in disk management and it is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WD My passport External drive 1tb is shown as not initialized in disk management and it is...: I'm using windows 11 and windows 10 laptops. I have a wd external hard drive 1tb capacity which was working without any problems. Few days back I remove it from the devices and printers window because the safe to remove disk option in the system tray was failing to eject it...
  3. WD My passport External drive 1tb is shown as not initialized in disk management and it is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WD My passport External drive 1tb is shown as not initialized in disk management and it is...: I'm using windows 11 and windows 10 laptops. I have a wd external hard drive 1tb capacity which was working without any problems. Few days back I remove it from the devices and printers window because the safe to remove disk option in the system tray was failing to eject it...
  4. My Passport external HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Passport external HDD.: Good morning all Iuse the above to store all my photos. Occasionally when I plug it in so I can perhaps post a photo to Facebook for example it shows up as if I,d clicked on the drive to use it when I hadn,t .Then sometimes it will not show in file explore and then I...
  5. WD My Passport 1TB External Harfd Drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD My Passport 1TB External Harfd Drive.: When I try to set up the WD Apps I get a message " This app can't run on your PC. " I am trying to restore files to a new PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-my-passport-1tb-external-harfd-drive/6ac13f82-25ef-47f3-b04d-8a2c40efd026
  6. WD My passport External hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WD My passport External hard drive not working: The name and bar showing up shows fine, but when I try to download something it automatically goes to the C:/original hard drive. It ends up saying disk space full because my disk space on C:/ is full. How do I set up My Passport so it can take in files?...
  7. WD My Passport

WD My Passport: Hi. I have just purchased a Microsoft Laptop which unfortunately won't read my WD My Passport. does anyone have a fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-my-passport/b3cf90e5-c78b-4104-a67e-e25c5faea50a
  8. My WD Passport external hard drive won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My WD Passport external hard drive won't open: I've tried all of the recommendations posted and none have worked. What else can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wd-passport-external-hard-drive-wont-open/4cb1db83-c269-4d71-8fe2-e7c9e11a1155
  9. WD My Passport Ultra There but not there

WD My Passport Ultra There but not there: I have a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra and it was working fine. I accessed a picture from it to send out in in an email and afterwards shut down my laptop. HP Envy, Win 10 bla bla bla Later that day I booted up my laptop and the passport didn't show up in the file manager. It...
  10. WD My Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD My Passport external hard drive: I am CONSTANTLY prompted to Re-Connect my Backup harddrive bc some files did not backup. I try to look at files but cant open and the files are tiny. SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT TROJAN FILES ? Are they old orphan files from some uninstalled app. I KNOW, a list of files and...