Windows 10: How do I install a files and folders bckup? Windows 7 to Windows 10

Discus and support How do I install a files and folders bckup? Windows 7 to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Goo day to you. I am a noob when it comes to backup and restore. After many years and many iterations of Windows, I finally tried to backup my files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tomween1, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Tomween1 Win User

How do I install a files and folders bckup? Windows 7 to Windows 10

Goo day to you.

I am a noob when it comes to backup and restore. After many years and many iterations of Windows, I finally tried to backup my files and folders. They have been stored to an external HDD.

I ran into an issue with Win 10 that required a complete clean install of 7 and then upgrade to 10 again. The drive was completely cleaned.

Upon install, I can only see the backup I created after the new install.

From the backup drive, I can see many files when clicking on the drive to view content. The laptop has been renamed. How then can I restore the files from the old setup?

Thank you... #GreenMountainBoyLOST *Smile

:)

Tomween1, Aug 16, 2015

2. How can I set a default so that files and folders are displayed using the view option "LIST"

Open File Explorer by using key combination Windows Key + E and navigate to the folder you want to use as a source for view layout settings.

2. Navigate to the View tab in ribbon bar on the top and change the settings per your wish. You can change the layout and choose the folder details to display, add extra panes, adjust column width, etc.

Set a default Folder View for all folders

3. Once done with the changes, click Options to open Folder Options window.

4. Click the View tab in Folder Options window.

5. Click on Apply to Folders button.

How to apply a folder's view settings to all folders in Windows 10

6. Click Yes on the confirmation window that pops up.

How to apply a folder's view settings to all folders in Windows 10

7. Click OK on the Folder Options window to save the settings.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 16, 2015
  3. How can I do a clean install of Windows 10 if I upgrade from Windows 7?

When I install Windows 10 as the hyped free upgrade from my Windows 7, and suppose, my hard drive dies after the first year when the free upgrade is available (for example, something happens to my PC of July 30 2016 ( Windows 10 is going to be released on
    29 July 2015)) how can I reinstall Windows 10??? Do I just lose all rights to Windows 10 through no fault of my own? So I will need to treasure my current hard drive with Windows 7 junk mixed with Windows 10, and mirror it onto a dozen other drives if one
    fails? Do I really not receive a Window 10 product key or other proof of licence that I actually upgraded during the free period and have a right to free reinstalls of Windows 10 if my hardware fails???

ALSO: I suppose I will still have the right to reinstall my Windows 7 *on the same motherboard* using my DVD and *system builder* product key after I upgraded to Windows 10, or will Microsoft block all my access to their operating systems if a something
    fails when it is clearly not my fault?

Ivan Bogush, Aug 16, 2015
  4. Harpert Win User

You will need a DVD that you created the first time you made the backup with all the system info stored, called a System Repair Disk.
    This disk will be needed to start your PC and restore the backup

Good luck

Harpert, Aug 16, 2015
  5. Tomween1 Win User
    Thank you for the feedback.

I might be missing something here, as I have no backup DVD. I was not prompted to create one for my files and folders.

Tomween1, Aug 16, 2015
  6. Tomween1 Win User
    Images in Toshiba drive, of wich I would like to restore files from.
    [
    How do I install a files and folders bckup? Windows 7 to Windows 10 [​IMG]

Image from advanced Files and folders

From restore files advanced, I see backup from today

So how do I make the laptop identify the F&F from Dawn-PC?

Tomween1, Aug 16, 2015
  7. Tomween1 Win User
    Is there any way to transfer the files and folders from Dawn-PC to my new install of windows?

I found this info which coincides with my above images.

Posted by @Brink

Tomween1, Aug 17, 2015
  8. Tomween1 Win User

Is it possible the following may work?

Rename Tom to Dawn-PC

Tomween1, Aug 17, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 17, 2015
  10. Tomween1 Win User
    Thank you for the reply. I have now read through and have tried a few things but have not executed anything yet.

In post 4 you will see the first image of the TOSHIBA drive.
    I clicked here

and found this

When I went through the process you pointed me to, I'm not seeing Files and Folders to install on this clean install. It appears to be a full image and looks nothing like what is shown in step 10

I did notice a folder in Toshiba drive listed as a .cal

This one is labeled files and folders. How does one view this?

Tomween1, Aug 17, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It would be the file in your middle screenshot to attach in Disk Management in OPTION ONE. *Smile

Brink, Aug 17, 2015
  12. Tomween1 Win User
    Thank you for the reply.

Here is what I see

In this image, on the left you see the Computer Management screen and on the right the image of This PC. The newly attached VHD. So not sure why Drive F is not present

Tomween1, Aug 17, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

It's hard to tell without all of Disk Management showing. Which one on the left is the attached VHD?

Brink, Aug 17, 2015
  14. Tomween1 Win User
    So another thing I've come to find. When I right click DAWN-PC (refer back to TOSHIBA drive), I am presented with

When I click on Backup Set 2015xxxx

I find the following

These would seem to be the files I'm looking for*Huh

Tomween1, Aug 17, 2015
  15. Tomween1 Win User
    Disk 2 (no drive letter)

Tomween1, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

1. How do I install a files and folders bckup? Windows 7 to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - install files folders

2. How do I do a 'clean install' for Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I do a 'clean install' for Windows 7?: I had downloaded Windows 10 but I still prefer Windows 7 and I have the Original USB installation stick to reload Windows 7. I'm not sure if I have to use a Command prompt and Format C: or if I can just use the BIOS and boot from USB. I just want it to work properly with no...
  3. How do I do a 'clean install' for Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I do a 'clean install' for Windows 7?: I had downloaded Windows 10 but I still prefer Windows 7 and I have the Original USB installation stick to reload Windows 7. I'm not sure if I have to use a Command prompt and Format C: or if I can just use the BIOS and boot from USB. I just want it to work properly with no...
  4. How do I install Windows 7 on my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I install Windows 7 on my computer?: Hello.I have currently got Windows 10 installed on my laptop it originally came with Windows 11, but, I've been willing to install Windows 7 on my laptop.So I downloaded the ISO, and I also downloaded PowerISO, so that I can mount the ISO. When I try picking a driver to...
  5. How do I install Windows 7 on my computer?

How do I install Windows 7 on my computer?: Hello.I have currently got Windows 10 installed on my laptop it originally came with Windows 11, but, I've been willing to install Windows 7 on my laptop.So I downloaded the ISO, and I also downloaded PowerISO, so that I can mount the ISO. When I try picking a driver to...
  6. How do I delete the windows 7 files after I moved to windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I delete the windows 7 files after I moved to windows 10?: I moved to win10 yesterday but the windows 7 files are still in my pc like win7 sounds and I want to delete it because I dont need it. I tried deleting temporary files of "Previous windows version", but nothing happened.I hope you can help me....
  7. How do I delete the windows 7 files after I moved to windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete the windows 7 files after I moved to windows 10?: I moved to win10 yesterday but the windows 7 files are still in my pc like win7 sounds and I want to delete it because I dont need it. I tried deleting temporary files of "Previous windows version", but nothing happened.I hope you can help me....
  8. How do I delete the windows 7 files after I moved to windows 10?

9. How do I convert Window 7 files to 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I convert Window 7 files to 10?: I know there must be a full answer somewhere but I can't find it. I have all my Windows & Excel file stored on a USB and have tried converting to 10 but lost files. It say converting but then a number comes up & says file dismissed. Hopfeul there is a easy way to do this,...
  10. How do I install windows 10 without harming my windows 7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I install windows 10 without harming my windows 7?: I only have ONE computer...a desktop...yes, it will run windows 10. I want to play around with Windows 10 before giving up Windows 7. Here's what I want to do: Install two newly formatted hard drives (500 gb) Place Windows 10 on the new hard drives Keep my current...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i bCKUP MY COMPUTER WINDOWS 10 ONTO AN EXTERNAL DRIVE