Windows 10: How do I install new SSD HD as a replacement C:\ Drive?

Discus and support How do I install new SSD HD as a replacement C:\ Drive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I currently have a 128gb SSD HD with Win10 (c drive), I also have a 2 TB HD to hold games and media, and a newly purchased 256gb SSD HD. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by bobsginy, Apr 16, 2017.

1. bobsginy Win User

How do I install new SSD HD as a replacement C:\ Drive?

I currently have a 128gb SSD HD with Win10 (c drive), I also have a 2 TB HD to hold games and media, and a newly purchased 256gb SSD HD.

My question is how do I install the new 256gb to replace the 128gb HD? I don't want to clone anything, but would like to use the files on my current c:\ and use the 128gb as another storage on my computer.

:)

bobsginy, Apr 16, 2017
  2. balloon21 Win User

default installation drive

I have a new gaming computer

1TB HD + SSD SSD is C: drive HD is D:drive

I installed several programs and am out of space. because all went to C: drive

how do I change this?

I changed registry to D:\ProgramFiles

did not work

balloon21, Apr 16, 2017
  3. Windows 10 clean install on new SSD disk

I have Windows 7 on my computer with SP1. I would like to remove my HD drive and replace it with a new SSD drive (without Windows on it) on which I would like to make clean install of Windows 10 to avoid all accumulated unwanted bloat ware on my HD. Is
    it possible to do it and how to do it.

StanleyStrzelec, Apr 16, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. What files do you want to keep docs,photo etc or software?. If you don't clone then you would have to do a clean install and install all software then copy files over. Why don't you want to clone it's quick and simple

Samuria, Apr 16, 2017
  5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Using an image of the 128 Gb would go a long way and fast too.
    Macrium Reflect Free springs to mind.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 16, 2017
  6. bobsginy Win User
    Thank you *Smile

I do want to keep the boot drive documents: photos, documents, music etc. Not the OS. I want to install the OS on my larger SSD HD and use my current boot drive as an extra drive.

bobsginy, Apr 17, 2017
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

As said, an image should do the trick. You can then wipe your current drive and use it as spare storage if you like.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 17, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

This is what I would do, given what you want. (Really, I would clone, but you don't want to do that.):

Connect only the new SSD. Leave the old SSD and the HDD disconnected. Clean install Windows 10 to the new SSD. Once that is booting and running by itself, then connect the old SSD and HDD. Once everything is going the way you want, then wipe the old SSD. If for some reason you can't get things running the way you want - for example you may find that your saved games on the HDD won't install the way you want, then you can always image the old SSD to the new SSD, until the point you wipe it.

Of course, you can always save an image of the old SSD onto the HDD as well, using a good backup program like Macrium Reflect Free.

NavyLCDR, Apr 17, 2017
  9. bobsginy Win User
    If I were to clone the old SSD to the new SSD HD could I leave both plugged into the computer or would I have to hook them up to a different computer?

Does cloning transfer everything: files, docs, and OS?

Also are there any free cloning HD software? I attempted to use EasUS Todo software, but would let me clone my drive while my computer was on.

Sorry for all the questions just new to this.

bobsginy, Apr 17, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can keep them installed in the same computer.

Yes, it transfers everything. Booting from the new drives looks just exactly like booting from the old drive. If the new drive is a different size than the old drive you can adjust the size of the OS partition to fill it (or reduce it if it is smaller). Just make sure to clone all the necessary partitions - you probably have an EFI System or System Reserved Partition and the OS partition - both of those need to be copied. The active recovery partition should also be copied, but is not 100% necessary. If in doubt, just clone all the partitions from the old drive and adjust the size of the OS partition as needed.

Macrium Reflect Free:
    Macrium Reflect Free | Macrium Software

and

MiniTool Partition Wizard:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Both have cloning capability. Or, if you make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD of Kyhi's Recovery Tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - - Windows 10 Forums

And boot the computer from it, it has both Macrium Reflect free and MiniTool Partition Wizard already on it. It also has AEOMI Partition Wizard which I am pretty sure also does cloning.

Sorry for all the questions just new to this.[/QUOTE]

NavyLCDR, Apr 17, 2017
  11. bobsginy Win User
    [/QUOTE]
    Thank you for the helpful info. Are there any youtube or online guides for doing this?

bobsginy, Apr 17, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
  13. bobsginy Win User

bobsginy, Apr 17, 2017
  14. lvr181 Win User
Thema:

1. How do I install new SSD HD as a replacement C:\ Drive? - Similar Threads - install SSD replacement

2. Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory: I am planning to upgrade my HP Envy x360 laptop by installing an SSD and 16 GB RAM. I already made a WindowsImage Backup and installed it in portable drive to recover the Windows 10 OS, programs and files from the hard drive to be replaced. What are the steps I need to follow...
  3. Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory: I am planning to upgrade my HP Envy x360 laptop by installing an SSD and 16 GB RAM. I already made a WindowsImage Backup and installed it in portable drive to recover the Windows 10 OS, programs and files from the hard drive to be replaced. What are the steps I need to follow...
  4. Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. After adding a new larger HD and cloning drive C, how do I rename the new drive to "C" with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After adding a new larger HD and cloning drive C, how do I rename the new drive to "C" with...: I have used Macrium Reflect to clone my smaller Drive "C" HD to the new larger HD. I want to rename the newer Drive to "C". What is the process to accomplish this action?...
  6. After adding a new larger HD and cloning drive C, how do I rename the new drive to "C" with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After adding a new larger HD and cloning drive C, how do I rename the new drive to "C" with...: I have used Macrium Reflect to clone my smaller Drive "C" HD to the new larger HD. I want to rename the newer Drive to "C". What is the process to accomplish this action?...
  7. After adding a new larger HD and cloning drive C, how do I rename the new drive to "C" with...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. WANT TO REPLACE LAPTOP HD WITH A BRAND NEW CLEAN SSD

WANT TO REPLACE LAPTOP HD WITH A BRAND NEW CLEAN SSD: I have a Dell Inspiron 15-5000 series which has a hard drive that I am sure has some conflict issues with the OS. A recent major update did not fix it. My data is sacrosanct and don't want to lose it. Therefore I will copy that over to a safe storage. Apps can be reinstalled,...
  9. Replacing HD with SSD - Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing HD with SSD - Not Recognized: I'm trying to replace my 1TB HD with a similar size SanDisk SSD. I plan to use Apricorn Ez Gig IV to clone the HD to the SSD. I cannot get the SSD to show as a valid drive on File Explorer and the software shows the drive but says it cannot find it. I can see the new drive in...
  10. How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive?

How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive?: Hi, I need to upgrade my C drive from 256GB to 1TB. (both are SSD) I want to use Macrium Reflect Free Edition. Can I just create a system image onto an external drive, swap the drives, and reboot to restore the 256GB image onto the new 1TB drive? (instead of having both...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 replacing the ssd c-drive

2. how to replace hd mk1633gsg for a ssd hd