Windows 10: How do I install W10 to a SATA drive

Discus and support How do I install W10 to a SATA drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I download my free version of Windows 10, I want to install it to my 128gb SATA drive which is now labeled Drive S, and keep my current... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ed Wood, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Ed Wood Win User

How do I install W10 to a SATA drive

When I download my free version of Windows 10, I want to install it to my 128gb SATA drive which is now labeled Drive S, and keep my current installation of Win 7 Ultimate on drive C in case I want to revert back to Win 7.

How do I install Win 10 on my SATA drive, change it to become the bootable drive, and retain Win 7 on drive C? Also, if I decide to revert back to Win 7, what process do I go through to revert back to the old Drive C?

Thanks for your help.
    *Confused

:)

Ed Wood, Jul 26, 2015
  2. George_55 Win User

Hard drive not recognised.

Installed a internal HDD from another PC . (SATA)

Drive is shown in BIOS setup

Win 10 does not recocognise and assign a drive id eg D:\

External drive connected by USB is recognised and works fine.

Is this a W10 glitz and if so how do I rectify it.

George_55, Jul 26, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 26, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Hi.. welcome to the fourms..

The procedure is going to be that you have to perform the upgrade over a qualifying OS(Win7 SP1/Win8.1) and then at some point MS will supply an ISO to perform a clean install(Not sure on how that will happen yet).

And making a backup copy of your current OS set up will be the best way to make sure you can roll back. IMO.

HTH
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Jul 26, 2015
  5. Your
    is only "free" if you use it to upgrade Win 7 to Win10 -- and when you do that, you can't legally continue to use Win7 -- since they would then both share the same license.

If you want to install Win10 separately from Win7 and NOT do the upgrade, you will have to purchase a license for Win10.

Mark Phelps, Jul 26, 2015
  6. Rocky Win User
    Exactly. One Windows license, one Windows OS.

Rocky, Jul 26, 2015
  7. Ed Wood Win User
    I am not planning to use my Registered and Activated copy of Win 7 at the same time as Win 10 (they will be on the same box). I only want to be able to "roll back" to Win 7 if I don't like Win 10 without having to reformat and reinstall everything.

Regards,
    Ed

Ed Wood, Jul 26, 2015
  8. Ed Wood Win User

I understand that. I received the invitation from MS to upgrade to Win 10 for free. I am waiting on the instructions to download the upgrade. However, if I do not like Win 10, I want to be able to "roll back" to Win 7 without having to reformat and reinstall all of my software including Win 7!

Regards,
    Ed

Ed Wood, Jul 26, 2015
  9. bobkn Win User
    Then, I suggest imaging the Win7 installation and restoring from the image if you wish. It's good to have an imaging/backup capability, and external drives to do so are inexpensive.

I use Acronis True Image. I can restore 8.1 from a 64GB USB3 flash drive in less than 10 minutes. (I don't recall the size of the image, but it's not a minimal installation.) I'd really rather not clean install 8.1 again: there's more than a gigabyte of updates needed to bring it up-to-date (which may include updates for Office 2010).

My mode of doing Insider upgrades has been: do the upgrade online. Prepare an .iso from the .esd. Restore 8.1 to the boot drive. Mount the .iso and upgrade 8.1 to the latest Win 10 build. (Once I have the .iso, the rest of the process takes about a half hour.)

bobkn, Jul 26, 2015
  10. Theoretically, if you upgrade to Win10 from Win7, it saves the Win7 stuff such that you can "restore" it.

But, a "safer" way to do this is to image off Win7 using something like Macrium Reflect, then do the Win10 update. Any time after that, you can restore Win7 to its saved state from the MR backup.

Mark Phelps, Jul 26, 2015
  11. CountMike New Member
    You'll have 30 days to roll back to W7 (theoretically without loss of license, programs and files) if not satisfied and didn't delete windows.old folder.

CountMike, Jul 27, 2015
  12. Ed Wood Win User
    Thanks, you guys, for all of your help and suggestions. I have Acronis True Image, but have been unsuccessful in the past in doing a good restore. I will try again. I will also take a look at Macrium Reflect as well.

Regards,

Ed Wood, Jul 27, 2015
  13. bobkn Win User

One problem with Acronis True Image that I didn't mention: their rescue disk (TI 2015) is Linux based, and it didn't like my X99 motherboard. (Maybe that has been fixed in the more current TI releases.) I had to prepare a rescue disk based on Windows PE (Pre-install Environment). That required a large download and install of some developer software. (Been long enough that my memory is hazy.) That works well. (I actually use a USB flash drive rather than an optical disk.)

bobkn, Jul 27, 2015
  14. CountMike New Member
    Macrium Reflect than, it's PE but may have to download some PE components during install, it will do it for you.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I install W10 to a SATA drive - Similar Threads - install W10 SATA

2. how do i install a drive not found?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i install a drive not found?: how do i install drivers that are missing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-a-drive-not-found/02e38ec0-23a2-4f91-82db-22b46931005b
  3. how do i install a drive not found?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i install a drive not found?: how do i install drivers that are missing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-a-drive-not-found/02e38ec0-23a2-4f91-82db-22b46931005b
  4. how do i install to a usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i install to a usb drive: im trying to install something on the microsoft store i have a usb drive i use for storage cause the computer is full how do i download it to the usb drive??...
  5. how do i install to a usb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i install to a usb drive: im trying to install something on the microsoft store i have a usb drive i use for storage cause the computer is full how do i download it to the usb drive??...
  6. SATA hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA hard drive: Hi, my WD Blue M.2 NVME SSD, where I store most of my data on my computer, has a blue question mark over it. It does not appear in hidden devices in device manager, and does not show up in disk management. It is not recognized anywhere except where it has the blue question...
  7. sata drivers how do I install them???

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sata drivers how do I install them???: I'm trying to get programs from my old hard drive onto my new computer??? They both run Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sata-drivers-how-do-i-install-them/56fd7723-69ab-4dd3-8548-30c05ab56ed9
  8. W10 Recognizes My External SATA II Drive As SATA I - Why ?

W10 Recognizes My External SATA II Drive As SATA I - Why ?: I solved a similar problem in Win 7 by uninstalling an Advanced "6G" Storage Controller and letting Windows install its generic driver but I have no idea what to do in Win 10 because of the dumbed down way everything behind the scenes is displayed, which appears not to have...
  9. How do I re-formate this Sata Drive to one partition ?

How do I re-formate this Sata Drive to one partition ?: Per the attached jpg...I am trying to reformat this WD Sata drive into one single partition. I believe this drive used to hold a Win 7 Pro 64 bit installation prior to moving to Win 10 on a new Sata drive. Initially I had a dual boot setup but decided to erase/delete the Win...
  10. How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd): My current C: drive, won't refresh because of "unsupported layout for UEFI firmware". Research indicates that I would have to clean off the entire disk (4 partions) in order to make it GPT so the install could proceed. I have a 119GB SSD that I designated a GPT disk, but...