Windows 10: How do I join a windows 7 homegroup from a windows 10 computer?

Discus and support How do I join a windows 7 homegroup from a windows 10 computer? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to network a new computer windows 10 into main computer which is operating windows 7. There is a HOMEGROUP established on the main computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sam556, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Sam556 Win User

How do I join a windows 7 homegroup from a windows 10 computer?

I am trying to network a new computer windows 10 into main computer which is operating windows 7. There is a HOMEGROUP established on the main computer Windows 7.

How do I go about doing this?

Thanks!

:)

Sam556, Feb 21, 2020

2. Windows 10 unable to join homegroup with Windows 7

I tried what you suggested but to no avail. My Windows 10 sees the homegroup on the Windows 7 main machine but, when I try to join it I get a "Windows cannot set up a homegroup on this computer" message on the Win 10 machine. Any other suggested courses
    of action? I deleted the homegroup on all of the Windows 7 machines and tried to create a homegroup on the Win 10 machine, but I got the same message.

LeeWillett, Feb 21, 2020
  3. Cannot add my Windows 10 computer to my Windows 7 homegroup

Hi Jon,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will help you in resolving your issue.

We appreciate the troubleshooting steps you performed to resolve your issue.

I suggest you to remove the existing Homegroup on all the Computers. You may use any Windows 7 Machine to create a Homegroup and verify the result.
    Kindly make a note of the Home Group password.

You may follow the steps below to know how to add Homegroup and join in the Homegroup for
    Windows 7.

1. On one computer, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Homegroup > Create a homegroup > Select the folders you want > Next and make a note of the password that will be used by other computers to join the Homegroup.

2. On other computers, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Homegroup > Join now and type in the password.

For windows 8.1 and Windows 10,
    I suggest you to follow the steps in the article below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...-finish=windows-81&v1h=win81tab3&v2h=win7tab1

If issue still persists, I suggest you to Change the HomeGroup settings by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Type Settings in the search box next to
      Start button, and select the top most search result
    • Select Network & Internet options, and click on
      Ethernet from the left side panel
    • Click on Network and Sharing centre and select HomeGroup from the bottom left corner of the window.
    • Click on Change Advanced sharing settings and expand
      Guest or Public option from the window.
    • Enable Turn on network discovery and
      Turn on file and printer sharing options from the window.
    Also refer to the HomeGroup problems in Windows from the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/homegroup-problems-in-windows

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Feb 21, 2020
  4. afhobbs23 Win User

"This computer can not join/create homegroup

I have done the following and still cannot get Homegroup working in Windows 10:

1. In safe mode I deleted the files in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking on the primary computer (a Dell Inspiron 570 desktop running Windows 10, with a printer attached by USB, that connects to router by cable).
    2. I did the same on 3 laptops (that connect to router by wireless; 2 are Windows 10, 1 is Windows 7) via Safe Mode so that any in-use files could be deleted. Then shut down all 3 laptops.
    3. I then created a new Homegroup on the desktop computer (with a new password, of course).
    4. I tried to join laptops to the new homegroup with no success.
    5. When I go back to desktop and click on Homegroup in Windows Explorer, it gives me the Join Now (which it shouldn't do since I already created it on this one). When I try to join it fails.

I have tried to verify that update KB 3081424 is installed but the Update listing in Windows 10 only lists the most recent ones which are dated 8/14/2015 or later.

afhobbs23, Feb 21, 2020
Thema:

1. How do I join a windows 7 homegroup from a windows 10 computer? - Similar Threads - join homegroup computer

2. How to homegroup network windows 10 & Windows 7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to homegroup network windows 10 & Windows 7: How to accomplish this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-homegroup-network-windows-10-windows-7/744df7f1-67db-4bb6-a3e6-a9a04ed360fd
  3. Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10

Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10: I have a new Windows 10 computer, and I'm trying to join the existing homegroup in my home (which currently includes Windows 8 laptop and Windows 7 desktop), but to no avail. I tried to follow the instructions written by Shawn Brink in this forum: Open File Explorer,...
  4. Adding Windows 10 computer to Homegroup of Windows 7

Adding Windows 10 computer to Homegroup of Windows 7: I have 2 windows 7 computers connected using Homegroup for long time. Now i got a new Windows 10 computer. How to connect the Windows 10 computer to the existing network....
  5. Windows 10: How to join an existing Windows 7 Homegroup

Windows 10: How to join an existing Windows 7 Homegroup: I'm sure this has come up dozens of times but every time I search for an answer, the advice simply says "just use the Homegroup utility" that came with Windows 10. That's all well and good but now that Microsoft has seen fit to delete the Homegroup wizard/utility in the...
  6. Joining a HomeGroup

Joining a HomeGroup: I have been trying to join 2 laptops to a HomeGroup set up and there is no option showing to join. There are several guides that I've seen and all show options that do not appear on either laptop I'm trying to join with. Supposedly ther is a HomeGroup option within the...
  7. Unable to Join HomeGroup

Unable to Join HomeGroup: Hello everyone. I set up a homegroup years ago.. and had it set to two computers linked up and ready to go. Now we moved, got new everything and trying to set it up again but its showing my old homegroup. I can ether click on (Change Adv Settings) or Troubleshoot. Also...
  8. Unable to join homegroup, but from my computer

Unable to join homegroup, but from my computer: Hi, When I go to homegroup it says "my@emailaddress.com on MyComputer created a domain on the network." There are no other computers on the network and I do not have a password to join I have tried to delete:...
  9. Windows 10 Joining A Windows 7 HomeGroup

Windows 10 Joining A Windows 7 HomeGroup: So I am on Windows 10 now. Was on Windows 7 ultimate prior to upgrading. I have my NAS setup on my router upstairs but every so often it gets knocked offline (Not sure if that's the drive or network issue) but I was wondering if there was an easy way to join the homegroup...
  10. Join Homegroup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Join Homegroup in Windows 10: How to: Join Homegroup in Windows 10 [img] Information A Homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with other Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computers on your local home network. You can also stream media to...