Windows 10: How do I keep display resolution in a Win10 VM?

Discus and support How do I keep display resolution in a Win10 VM? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In a Win10 virtual machine in VMWare Fusion, the initial display resolution is 3584 x 2240. I change the setting to 1920 x 1200, and it works.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by patjdixon patjdixon, May 6, 2021.

1. How do I keep display resolution in a Win10 VM?

In a Win10 virtual machine in VMWare Fusion, the initial display resolution is 3584 x 2240. I change the setting to 1920 x 1200, and it works. However, if I go out of full screen to see what is on my native machine, when I go back it will not keep the display resolution. I have to reset the resolution ever time I go to the VM in order to see what I am doing. Is something in Windows registry doing this?

:)

patjdixon patjdixon, May 6, 2021
  2. jhearcht Win User

Win10 screen resolution

I recently upgraded my new Dell Inspiron mini-tower from Win8.1 to Win10. I noticed that icons on the desktop were chopped-off on the left side of the screen. So I tried various screen resolutions to make the display better fit the 17" monitor. Win10 kept suggesting that the normal resolution was 2040x1152, but the identical display on my old XP computer is at 1280x1024. When I finally tried the suggested resolution, the screen went black and only an error message was seen : "analog input. Windows cannot display this resolution". Unfortunately, with no display I was unable to go back to the original resolution. So I ended up wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Win8.1 before I could upgrade again to Win10.

Now I'm back to square one. And the icons are still chopped off. I tried the display slider at 125% scale, but that didn't help. I would appreciate any suggestions for getting my monitor to display all of the content without getting too small, or slicing off the edges. As I said before 1280x1024 looks good on XP. Thanks for your support.

jhearcht, May 6, 2021
  3. Display resolution keeps changing

Hi Rick,

It might be caused by a faulty driver that's why your display resolution keeps changing. We
    suggest that you uninstall and reinstall the display driver, see steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager.
    • For graphics cards, expand the Display adapters category, right click your graphics card and select Uninstall.
    • Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, May 6, 2021
  4. NafrCar Win User

How do I keep display resolution in a Win10 VM?

Screen resolution problem on Dell laptop after installing Win10!

I was upgrade to Win10 yesterday,and yes I saw that tutorial but the problem is that I don't have option to change resolution higher than 1024x768.The same resolution is "List all modes" option.On Win7 everything is working fine and I was able to change resolution to 1920x1080.

NafrCar, May 6, 2021
Thema:

How do I keep display resolution in a Win10 VM?

1. How do I keep display resolution in a Win10 VM? - Similar Threads - keep display resolution

2. How to set custom display resolution in win10 for external display of 1024x600??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set custom display resolution in win10 for external display of 1024x600??: I have bought an external display from waveshare of 7" with resolution of 1024x600 and my laptop is hp probook 6470b with i5 3320M without HDMI port.I bought usb to hdmi cable but its resolution is 1024x768 and not 1024x600.I tried CRU but it didn't workedofcourse did tried...
  3. How to set custom display resolution in win10 for external display of 1024x600??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set custom display resolution in win10 for external display of 1024x600??: I have bought an external display from waveshare of 7" with resolution of 1024x600 and my laptop is hp probook 6470b with i5 3320M without HDMI port.I bought usb to hdmi cable but its resolution is 1024x768 and not 1024x600.I tried CRU but it didn't workedofcourse did tried...
  4. How do I change Win8.1 display resolution in a Dual Boot Win10/8.1 Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change Win8.1 display resolution in a Dual Boot Win10/8.1 Lenovo laptop: I have a Dual Boot Lenovo laptop. Primary system Win10 and the Secondary system Win8.1. I can change the display resolution in Win10, I cannot change the display resolution when booting Win8.1. In Win8.1 the choice for changing display resolution is grayed-out. In Win8.1 the...
  5. How do I change Win8.1 display resolution in a Dual Boot Win10/8.1 Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change Win8.1 display resolution in a Dual Boot Win10/8.1 Lenovo laptop: I have a Dual Boot Lenovo laptop. Primary system Win10 and the Secondary system Win8.1. I can change the display resolution in Win10, I cannot change the display resolution when booting Win8.1. In Win8.1 the choice for changing display resolution is grayed-out. In Win8.1 the...
  6. Display resolution keeps changing automatically!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Display resolution keeps changing automatically!: TD:LR In the title Hi all, I am close to my wit’s end. Every time my laptop wakes up from sleep mode, there’s a high chance that the display settings changes to the lowest resolution. I have to manually change it back to it’s recommended resolution. Sometimes my laptop just...
  7. display resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    display resolution: I cannot change one of my monitor's display resolution to 1920 x 1080 to fit on the screen. That is not a choice that is given and I cannot manually type in that ratio. Every now and then my one monitor does this and there is no rhyme or reason when it reverts back....
  8. How do I specify a custom display resolution in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How do I specify a custom display resolution in Windows 10?: First of all, this question is about inputting a display resolution that doesn't exist on any physical monitor like e.g. 1234x5678, not about picking from the dropdown list. Secondly, no help from the (barebones) graphics driver can be expected here. Everything must be done...
  9. Display resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display resolution: I just reinstalled Windows10 after replacing the SSD. I have two displays. One is running at the recommended resolution of 1080 x 1920 but the other insists on 1024 x 768. I have tried to change the resolution using the Windows Settings Display page as well as the NVIDIA...
  10. How to change resolution in Win10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to change resolution in Win10: Hi, This is my first post in Win10 after much help in the Win 7 forum. How do I change the resolution in Win 10 64? And, how do I access help in this OS? As info: I'm old fashioned, so I got rid of all of those blue "apps" that are in the START menu. Perhaps there...