Windows 10: How do I keep my 2nd monitor from disconnecting when the power goes off?

Discus and support How do I keep my 2nd monitor from disconnecting when the power goes off? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I used to have an NVIDIA GPU but I recently changed to AMD, and now I am unable to keep my second monitor from disconnecting when the power goes off.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LamarrDarrington, Jan 27, 2020.

1. How do I keep my 2nd monitor from disconnecting when the power goes off?

I used to have an NVIDIA GPU but I recently changed to AMD, and now I am unable to keep my second monitor from disconnecting when the power goes off.

It used to stay connected, and I could still move things to the other screen, but now when the monitor turns off it completely disconnects and all the windows that were open on it move back to the primary monitor.

If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. Is there any information I should provide?

:)

LamarrDarrington, Jan 27, 2020

2. Windows 10 Monitor Issue-Laptop, changed to a new 2nd monitor - if connected everything goes to minimized and cannot be found or brought back to visible

So, when I added the new monitor on Sunday morning, everything worked fine. Did go into display settings to tell windows that monitor #2 is on the left not the right. Again, everything worked as expected. Did a full shut-down of computer late afternoon.

Today I powered up my computer and thought I had a virus, I just got a grey screen, no log in screen.

Disconnected the 2nd monitor and tried again, worked as expected.

Connect the 2nd monitor, everything goes to minimized, maximize does nothing. Task bar shows 2 programs running but cannot get them up on screen. Disconnect the 2nd monitor, it all comes back on main laptop monitor.

Help - I can no longer function with only 1 monitor.

SuzanneCaldwell, Jan 27, 2020
  3. The 2nd monitor is not appearing in the control panel

Original; Title: dual monitor problem

Have just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. In Windows 7 my dual monitor set up worked perfectly but now both screens are identical (duplicated) with everything exactly the same on both. The 2nd monitor is not appearing in the control panel at all
    and any help to solve this would be appreciated.

I have disconnected the 2nd monitor and tried most things suggested on the forums but no change is the result.

stevesutcliffe, Jan 27, 2020
  4. How do I keep my 2nd monitor from disconnecting when the power goes off?

2nd Monitor

Hi

Thank you for helping me. When it is on duplicated both monitors have same resolution, however, the 2nd monitor the text is unreadable and screen blurred. If on extended my default monitor is fine but the 2nd monitor goes off and my laptop screen comes on.
    I wish to have both default and second monitor displaying at the same time. As it is the 2nd monitor drop down resolution is showing 800x600 and is faded out and unable to change it.

JohnMcNaughton1, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

How do I keep my 2nd monitor from disconnecting when the power goes off?

1. How do I keep my 2nd monitor from disconnecting when the power goes off? - Similar Threads - keep 2nd monitor

2. How do I keep my keyboard from disconnecting?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I keep my keyboard from disconnecting?: My keyboard on my Windows 10 machine keeps disconnecting and turning off. I've tried a few different solutions, such as changing the power settings, checking for drivers, and uninstalling and reinstalling the device. I've watched every YouTube video I could find and I've...
  3. How do I keep my keyboard from disconnecting?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I keep my keyboard from disconnecting?: My keyboard on my Windows 10 machine keeps disconnecting and turning off. I've tried a few different solutions, such as changing the power settings, checking for drivers, and uninstalling and reinstalling the device. I've watched every YouTube video I could find and I've...
  4. my second monitor goes off when I connect power to my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my second monitor goes off when I connect power to my laptop: I have KVM Switch through which I have connected 1 27 inch monitor/keyboard/mouse to two laptops. It works fine when Laptop is on battery. but as soon as I connect power, 2nd monitor does not detect input and goes to standby. I am still able to use keyboard and mouse. I am...
  5. my second monitor goes off when I connect power to my laptop

my second monitor goes off when I connect power to my laptop: I have KVM Switch through which I have connected 1 27 inch monitor/keyboard/mouse to two laptops. It works fine when Laptop is on battery. but as soon as I connect power, 2nd monitor does not detect input and goes to standby. I am still able to use keyboard and mouse. I am...
  6. Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor: Hello to whoever's reading thisI have a second screen that I use for both my desktop and my gaming console via an HDMI switch, but whenever I switch between the gaming console both from and to the desktop the main screen I use that is connected through DisplayPort turns black...
  7. Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor

Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor: Hello to whoever's reading thisI have a second screen that I use for both my desktop and my gaming console via an HDMI switch, but whenever I switch between the gaming console both from and to the desktop the main screen I use that is connected through DisplayPort turns black...
  8. Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Monitor disconnect from PC when I switch it off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Monitor disconnect from PC when I switch it off: I got a new monitor about two weeks ago. ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM Usually I will switch off my monitor when I don't use it for a short period of time without closing the PC, so I can resume where I left off ASAP. Recently I realized the color on my monitor is off whenever I...
  10. When I power both monitors off, all windows on 2nd monitor get moved to 1st monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When I power both monitors off, all windows on 2nd monitor get moved to 1st monitor: As the title says. It doesn't move the windows until I power the 2nd monitor back on. It then changes the wallpaper to the same as the 1st monitor. Basically it's thinking my monitor has been disconnected and reconnected so the display settings are reset. This is happening...