Windows 10: how do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop,

Discus and support how do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop, in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have gone into power option and selected when plugged in and lid closed do nothing and saved, but when I close the laptop the external monitor turns... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by sharonmunsie, Aug 7, 2019.

1. how do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop,

I have gone into power option and selected when plugged in and lid closed do nothing and saved, but when I close the laptop the external monitor turns off

:)

sharonmunsie, Aug 7, 2019
  2. Suman_B Win User

Monitor settings when close laptop lid

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, we would need some information.

1. What is the version and
      build of you operating system? In the Search box, type
      winver to get this info.
    2. May I know the Make and the model of the computer and external monitor?
    3. Are you aware of any changes made on your computer before this issue occurred?

We also suggest following the steps below and check if it makes any difference.

Since you are facing issue with the Secondary monitor, I would suggest you to
    Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10
    and check if it fixes the issue.

Additionally refer this article on Second
    screen or Projector mode does not persist after you close and reopen a laptop lid

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Suman_B, Aug 7, 2019
  3. Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Aug 7, 2019
  4. how do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop,

Display/Monitor/Laptop

I was able to close laptop and see on my monitor and now after Norton update I cannot? Any suggestions

Kerrin (live.com#kerrinmahaffey), Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

how do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop,

1. how do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop, - Similar Threads - keep monitor close

2. How do I make my laptop lock and sleep when I close the lid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make my laptop lock and sleep when I close the lid: When I close it currently this keeps my device unlocked but it sleeps it. This makes it run out on screen time, and is just not secure. I am running windows 11...
  3. How do I stop the taskbar from moving to my eternal monitor when I close my laptop lid?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop the taskbar from moving to my eternal monitor when I close my laptop lid?: I'm using Windows 11 on a brand new MSI Katana 17 b12v with an HDMI-attached second monitor, which is extending the layout upwards. Both are set to 1080p at 144Hz laptop screen and 60hz external monitor. I have already set my power settings to "Do nothing" when closing the...
  4. How do I stop the taskbar from moving to my eternal monitor when I close my laptop lid?

How do I stop the taskbar from moving to my eternal monitor when I close my laptop lid?: I'm using Windows 11 on a brand new MSI Katana 17 b12v with an HDMI-attached second monitor, which is extending the layout upwards. Both are set to 1080p at 144Hz laptop screen and 60hz external monitor. I have already set my power settings to "Do nothing" when closing the...
  5. How do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop ?: I have gone into power option and selected when plugged in and lid closed do nothing and saved, but when I close the laptop, the external monitor turns off. I even tried the windows + P option to choose only screen2 but nothing worked. I am using DELL Inspiron PC...
  6. How do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop ?

How do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop ?: I have gone into power option and selected when plugged in and lid closed do nothing and saved, but when I close the laptop, the external monitor turns off. I even tried the windows + P option to choose only screen2 but nothing worked. I am using DELL Inspiron PC...
  7. how do i keep my monitor to switching.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do i keep my monitor to switching.: My monitor switches when ever im on full screen playing games and id like to use to use obs but sometimes if i flick to the other monitor i tab out is there any way i can lock my screen so that doesnt happen...
  8. how do i keep my monitor to switching.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i keep my monitor to switching.: My monitor switches when ever im on full screen playing games and id like to use to use obs but sometimes if i flick to the other monitor i tab out is there any way i can lock my screen so that doesnt happen...
  9. how do i keep my monitor to switching.

10. How do I use the external monitor when laptop is closed?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I use the external monitor when laptop is closed?: I Have a Lenovo Twist, running win10. The external monitor is #2 & is set as main display and 'display only on #2'. When I close laptop everything goes to sleep....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do leave my monitors own when i close my laptop

2. second screen or projector mode does not persist after you close and reopen a laptop lid

3. how do ikeep my monitor on when i close my laptop

4. my monitors only dislay when i close my laptop how do i fix his