Windows 10: how do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop,

Discus and support how do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop, in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have gone into power option and selected when plugged in and lid closed do nothing and saved, but when I close the laptop the external monitor turns... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by sharonmunsie, Aug 7, 2019.

1. how do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop,

I have gone into power option and selected when plugged in and lid closed do nothing and saved, but when I close the laptop the external monitor turns off

:)

sharonmunsie, Aug 7, 2019
  2. Suman_B Win User

Monitor settings when close laptop lid

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, we would need some information.

1. What is the version and
      build of you operating system? In the Search box, type
      winver to get this info.
    2. May I know the Make and the model of the computer and external monitor?
    3. Are you aware of any changes made on your computer before this issue occurred?

We also suggest following the steps below and check if it makes any difference.

Since you are facing issue with the Secondary monitor, I would suggest you to
    Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10
    and check if it fixes the issue.

Additionally refer this article on Second
    screen or Projector mode does not persist after you close and reopen a laptop lid

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Suman_B, Aug 7, 2019
  3. Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Aug 7, 2019
  4. how do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop,

Display/Monitor/Laptop

I was able to close laptop and see on my monitor and now after Norton update I cannot? Any suggestions

Kerrin (live.com#kerrinmahaffey), Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

how do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop,

1. how do I keep my monitor on when I close my laptop, - Similar Threads - keep monitor close

2. how do i turn on my camera - it is built in to my monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how do i turn on my camera - it is built in to my monitor: how do I turn on my camera - it is built in to my monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-on-my-camera-it-is-built-in-to-my/6aea623d-471d-4b7c-9deb-3cd5d78e773b
  3. how can i keep programs running when i leave my laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    how can i keep programs running when i leave my laptop: I have a dell windows 10 laptop, I just purchased Microsoft office, since the laptop didn't come with it. my question is, how can I keep programs I'm working on open after I leave the laptop for a period of time. programs like QuickBooks, word, etc. thank you, Karen...
  4. when ever i press d on my keyboard it keep closing my tab

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    when ever i press d on my keyboard it keep closing my tab: when ever i press d on my keyboard it keep closing my tab i got lenovo window 10 i even ran a sfc and malwarebyte and still didnt fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-ever-i-press-d-on-my-keyboard-it-keep-closing/e15e000b-160b-4d45-b15f-24cdbcec5443
  5. how do i change the settings for my monitors?

how do i change the settings for my monitors?: how do i change the settings for my monitors? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-settings-for-my-monitors/4698c7ba-e5ee-44f8-a873-7b25acdc59e3
  6. my outlook keeps closing as soon as I open it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my outlook keeps closing as soon as I open it: Hi, I need some help please. In the last few days I've had a problem with my Outlook. As soon as I open it, it stays open for a few seconds then closes. I have tried doing an on-line repair, but that didn't fix it. Thanks in advance....
  7. How do I connect my laptop to my tv scrren to use as a second monitor?

How do I connect my laptop to my tv scrren to use as a second monitor?: How do connect my laptop to my tv screen to use as a second monitor? I connected my laptop to my tv screen but it is just projecting my laptop screen on my tv. I want to use my tv screen as a second monitor. Please help. Thanks...
  8. can i make my laptop shut down when i close

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can i make my laptop shut down when i close: how do I set my laptop to shut down when I close it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/can-i-make-my-laptop-shut-down-when-i-close/df42e025-0ba6-4d23-910f-5fe3e4f99fd6
  9. how do I fix my color on my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do I fix my color on my laptop: my color on my laptop is wacky. How do I fix it tyvm https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-do-i-fix-my-color-on-my-laptop/d66bfe86-1dee-46fe-ac54-8a918a5433fc
  10. How do I use my external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How do I use my external monitor: I paid for a Win 10 upgrade for my Dell Inspiron 6400. First off it wouldn't recognize my laptop as a 64bit computer, which didn't really matter as I have only 2Gb memory anyway. It installed wonderfully quickly and I was able to use my Flatron 24" monitor by just using the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my monitors only dislay when i close my laptop how do i fix his