Windows 10: How do I keep NAS drives awake? broken since last update

Discus and support How do I keep NAS drives awake? broken since last update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I open Windows Explorer my NAS drives have the red X over them like they are disconnected. I click on them and they connect right away. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by oldrock, Dec 5, 2017.

1. oldrock Win User

How do I keep NAS drives awake? broken since last update

When I open Windows Explorer my NAS drives have the red X over them like they are disconnected. I click on them and they connect right away. The problem I am having is when I try to stream a movie from my NAS via my app it says "path not found". I then have to open Windows Explorer and click the red X of the drive I want to access. After I re-establish my connection to the drive, my movie will stream from the app. How do I keep the drive connections alive? This is not a NAS setting. This changed when Windows did it's last major upgrade.

:)

oldrock, Dec 5, 2017
  2. colhard Win User

After update can't ping or map to my NAS drive.

Well not sure on this one, this morning i can ping and map to my NAS drive. I don't know if a bug fix was pushed out overnight? When i filter on 19 in event viewer the last update was yesterday morning when i installed the update. Hope no one else experiences
    this one very frustrating since my pst and my windows backup both use my NAS drive.

colhard, Dec 5, 2017
  3. theking2 Win User
    Force File History from BitLocker device to NAS

After I enabled BitLocker on my C-Drive File History refuses to make backups to my NAS. The NAS is Linux based and apparently FH doesn't do backups from a BL-protected drive to a destination where it can't be sure if it is protected.

How do I force File History to backup to a NAS?

theking2, Dec 5, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    I think there are some settings regarding HDD's and connections in the ADVANCED power settings --have a look in there.
    On latest W10 if I connect to a NAS drive it stays connected until disconnected (manually) or power down of either client (laptop) or server (almost never).

I don't have suspend or sleep for windows enabled and on mains power I set HDD's to turn off never.

Try playing around with some settings - the defaults have a habit of changing between updates. !!!!
    There's also a setting for media streaming somewhere to say keep connections alive.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 5, 2017
  5. oldrock Win User
    Hi jimbo. Thank you. That was the first place I looked. I checked all the power settings (advanced) in Windows and I also went through the NAS config. Everything I can find is set to never. The update destroyed my Homegroup once again too. I had to rebuild my Homegroup from scratch but this issue is evading me. There has to be a timeout setting somewhere but they did an excellent job making it out of the way and hard to find. I don't like these updates at all. I never really see the benefit but constantly have to chase down things that they break.

oldrock, Dec 5, 2017
  6. oldrock Win User
    bump... any ideas would be appreciated.

oldrock, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I keep NAS drives awake? broken since last update - Similar Threads - keep NAS drives

2. Display of FolderSize broken since last update of yesterday

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display of FolderSize broken since last update of yesterday: Yesterday Microsoft installed an update for Windows 11 that makes FolderSize see: https://foldersize.sourceforge.net useless as it only shows the size of +0 for each folder. This is usually shown when FolderSize does not have the right to look into the folder.Since Windows...
  3. Display of FolderSize broken since last update of yesterday

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display of FolderSize broken since last update of yesterday: Yesterday Microsoft installed an update for Windows 11 that makes FolderSize see: https://foldersize.sourceforge.net useless as it only shows the size of +0 for each folder. This is usually shown when FolderSize does not have the right to look into the folder.Since Windows...
  4. Unidentified network broken since last update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unidentified network broken since last update: My Windows 10 PC was happily talking on a private network to an Ethernet equiped piece of industrial kit until the most recent late Nov 2010 update changed everything. The Ethernet interface is an ASIX AX88178A USB to Ethernet adapter configured with all static IPV4...
  5. All Bluetooth devices are broken since last update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All Bluetooth devices are broken since last update: Since the last update around a week ago, none of my bluetooth devices are working, I can connect them to the PC, but whilst they are playing audio, the audio is skipping, so its sound for 1 second, silence for 0.5 secs, sound for 1 second, silence for 0.5 secs, and so on, it...
  6. Since last update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Since last update: I dont know if anyone else has noticed that Win10 hasnt run very well for quite some time, unstable, crappy graphics windows popping open for no reason ....anyway II was going through a migraine worth of varying **** and then with the latest update I had enough of the ****...
  7. How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?

How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?: I have just one machine on our little lan that seems to disappear from time to time and it looks like it does that because it goes into sleep mode. How do I fix that if that's what it probably is? 139624
  8. Internet access keeps dying since last update

Internet access keeps dying since last update: Since the last Windows update (kb4505903), my Win 10 keeps losing access to the internet though network connection is fine. When I run the troubleshooter, it restarts the Wifi adaptor. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. I've tried reinstalling the Wifi adaptor to no...
  9. Since last Update ............................

in Browsers and Email
    Since last Update ............................: MY browsing has gone haywire! I am accessing sites which are not opening properly, windows is asking 'do you want to pen this like this, or something (my wifes account) - opened an online newspaper and it has sections that seem to be continuously opening (loading circles)....
  10. Since last update

in Windows 10 Support
    Since last update: Since this little update on 2nd Dec Bing now has sound on home page and headline photo appear across the bottom. When you click on the photo it takes you to the subject to read. So well done Microsoft. Has anyone else found or seen it 32538