Windows 10: How do I know if I'll be able to transfer my digital license to a new PC?

Discus and support How do I know if I'll be able to transfer my digital license to a new PC? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've read so many articles and all of them say different things and don't really help me. I have a Windows 10 Pro that I upgraded from Windows 7 for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by meowses, Dec 11, 2019.

1. meowses Win User

How do I know if I'll be able to transfer my digital license to a new PC?

I've read so many articles and all of them say different things and don't really help me.

I have a Windows 10 Pro that I upgraded from Windows 7 for free a few years back. Now I am finally buying a new PC, but without Windows so I'd love to be able to transfer my digital license through Microsoft account into my new PC. I've read that people who have a free Windows digital license can't transfer it to a new PC, but I've read in other places that you can. I am so confused.

I think the Windows 7 that I had didn't come with the PC, I think I bought it online but honestly can't really remember, it's been so many years. Not sure if that's important or not. But is there a way to actually know if I'll be able to transfer my license, apart from just trying it? I want to know in advance in case I need to uninstall the license on my current PC.

:)

meowses, Dec 11, 2019

2. Transfer digital license from old PC to New one.

You would have to first ensure the Digital License is linked to your Microsoft Account. See instructions how to do that. You can then use the Troubleshooter on the new computer after installing Windows 10 to restore the license.

Please note, if your license was upgraded from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 7 license, it is not transferable.

See:

Andre Da Costa, Dec 11, 2019
  3. Digital License after transfer license to new computer

Uninstalling a product key does not deactivate the license, there is actually no deactivation method. You would still need to contact support to actually invalidate the license on the old machine, so it can reactivate on the new machine.

Transferring the license is a step by step process.

First, you either remove the license from the machine by formatting it.

Install it on the new machine.

Contact chat support, then reactivate.

Where Digital license is handy is when you are still using the machine and reinstall Windows 10 and need to reactivate the license after a significant hardware change, such as a hard disk.

Learn more:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-window...

Andre Da Costa, Dec 11, 2019
  4. How do I know if I'll be able to transfer my digital license to a new PC?

Transfer Digital License To A New PC

Hi,

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 2-Year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

No, you do not need the machine to be online to transfer the License. The troubleshooter helps you in this regard.

Activation depends on what type of license you have of Windows 7/8/10.

If Windows 7/8/10 came preinstalled with the computer, that is called an OEM license. For an OEM license, the license dies as soon as Motherboard dies. So essentially it is non-transferable. If that is the case you need to get a new license.

However, this is not same for retail licenses i.e. you purchased the license through Microsoft store. That does carry transfer rights. If that is the case, please see the below steps:

Run the activation troubleshooter on the new device using the below steps:

Go to Settings>Update and security>Activation and run the troubleshooter. and select I recently changed hardware on this device.

(Please note that Activation troubleshooter requires you to have digital license linked to Microsoft Account.)

If the troubleshooter hasn't helped, you can get in touch of an agent using the link below who can help you to get your copy activated:

https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/...

Please let us know if you need any assistance.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Dec 11, 2019
Thema:

How do I know if I'll be able to transfer my digital license to a new PC?

1. How do I know if I'll be able to transfer my digital license to a new PC? - Similar Threads - I'll able transfer

2. How do I transfer a digital license for Windows to a new computer?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I transfer a digital license for Windows to a new computer?: I bought Windows 10 Pro a few years ago and installed in on my personal desktop computer. Well that computer has since died and I have a new one, but it has Windows 10 Home Edition.How do I transfer the license that I purchased to this new computer?...
  3. How do I transfer a digital license for Windows to a new computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I transfer a digital license for Windows to a new computer?: I bought Windows 10 Pro a few years ago and installed in on my personal desktop computer. Well that computer has since died and I have a new one, but it has Windows 10 Home Edition.How do I transfer the license that I purchased to this new computer?...
  4. How do I transfer a digital license for Windows to a new computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transferring Digital License to New PC

Transferring Digital License to New PC: I want to transfer a retail digital license for Windows 10 Home Edition, purchased online, from my Lenovo desktop, which stopped working, to a new Dell desktop. I have tried all of the suggestions and MS Support, but I can't get through to talk to an actual person. I am...
  6. Transferring Digital License to a new PC

Transferring Digital License to a new PC: Hello, I am soon going to sell my PC and build a new one, but I'd like to transfer my digital license over to the new PC that I am going to build. I would also like to point out that my digital license is already linked to my Microsoft account. I need a explanation on how to...
  7. Can I Transfer windows digital License to a new PC.

Can I Transfer windows digital License to a new PC.: Recently I bought a new laptop that has windows 10 home pre-installed and activated. but I have a windows 10 pro license linked to my Microsoft account which was for my previous laptop. My previous laptop is currently in not working condition. So is it possible to...
  8. Transfer Digital License To A New PC

Transfer Digital License To A New PC: So a few months ago I purchased Windows 10 Home from the Microsoft Store so I have a Digital License rather than a product key, my old PC unfortunately broke and I cannot log into it anymore so I bought a new one, after logging into my account it doesn't seem to want to...
  9. Transferring Digital License to new PC

Transferring Digital License to new PC: Hello, I have been trying to activate Windows 10 on my new computer using the digital license I have connected to my Microsoft account. I bought Windows 10 Pro digitally from Microsoft a few years ago and have been running it on my laptop since. My new desktop is meant to...
  10. Digital License transfer to a new pc

Digital License transfer to a new pc: Greetings, I want to transfer my Windows 10 digital license to a new laptop which has shipped with pre-installed MS DOS. My old laptop had shipped with pre-installed Windows 8.1 which I upgraded to Windows 10 Home (single language) using the free offer available during that...